Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally

Comments

• Reply 161 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

that's just a bad idea. Makes no sense to build low-end menial assembly jobs in US, IMO.

The majority of the unemployed in the US are low-end menial assembly type people. Sure they don't want to work for peanuts but if they wanted a decent paying job they would have gotten themselves into some career oriented trade school, tuition paid by the government.

Every society needs to have a wide range of occupations available because every societies has a wide range of people with different abilities and education.

The high end service jobs and technology jobs are begging for qualified candidates.

We need factories in the US to solve the unemployment situation. There has to be a balance between the wages and the price of the end product. The minimum wage needs to be a little lower and the cost of the products need to be a little higher.

Getting young people interested in education is the only means of raising the overall standard of living.
  • Reply 162 of 205
    Quote:

that's just a bad idea. Makes no sense to build low-end menial assembly jobs in US, IMO.

Likely you are right.

But tell me this - Does it make sense to build high-end robotic assembly lines in the US?

And to hire skilled programmers and technicians and others to keep it running smoothly? And to build robot manufacturing plants in other parts of the US to keep up with demand for high-tech manufacturing tools and dies? Maybe steel mills and aluminum mills and machine shops to support all that?

I don't know if that is a practical idea or not, but it seems appealing if it could be pulled off.
  • Reply 163 of 205
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Check out this ridiculous article on Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81D0OE20120214

It's doom and gloom for Apple. Really, they have to be kidding. Apple is not paying anyone $1.6 billion, no matter what the Chinese courts say. And if they try an export ban (which I find extremely unlikely), Apple will find a way to pull its business and move to Taiwan and Singapore. Look at these quotes:

Quote:

"Without a win in that Shenzhen case, all the other actions, whether it is administrative or with different courts, customs, Apple is not in a good position at all," said Stan Abrams, an IP law professor at Beijing's Central University of Finance and Economics."

Apple's options are limited to either settling with Proview Technology (Shenzhen), appealing to a higher court, or facing devastating enforcement actions in China, legal experts said.

I have another idea: Tell them to pound rice. "Tell ya what boys....you're going to settle for something reasonable, or we're going to pull a Google and bail. The difference is we end up employing tens of thousands of people in China who make our products. Do you really think we can't make them elsewhere? Also, enjoy the riots in your country because your people can't buy our products anymore. So have fun with Proview...hope it was worth it."
  • Reply 164 of 205
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Why Apple is hoarding $100B and still refuses to build factories in the US? If iPad is mading the US, problem like this will not occur... Yeah, the price of iPad will increase. But if it's a good gadget, people will shell out the money especially it's made in the U.S.A.

You are naive.
  • Reply 165 of 205
    remember when they renamed French Fries to Freedom Fries?

well, people still bought them.
  • Reply 166 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stehsegler View Post

remember when they renamed French Fries to Freedom Fries?

well, people still bought them.

Freedom Pad really does sound like a feminine hygiene product
  • Reply 167 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If a company were set up making counterfeit iPads (or any other name-brand product) in the USA, all for export, do you really think that US law would allow that?

That seems pretty unlikely to me. ISTM that manufacture of counterfeit goods can be prevented under Chinese law too, and that if they are produced, export can be stopped.

Do you really think otherwise?

Do you really think that Apple is engaging in counterfeiting?

Potential trademark infringement does not equate to "counterfeit"; for instance, Apple is not making computer displays with the name "iPad". True counterfeiting would violate trademark and copyright laws.

Trademarks aren't automatically global and aren't all encompassing of any specific product.
  • Reply 168 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple just needs to pay for using the name iPad, rather than infringing on other people's copyrights. They are just playing the game American companies love to play.

Apple paid for the rights to use the name "globally" (or at least they thought they did). Now the original owner is reneging on the deal and demanding more money.

But let's assume it's another case of big bad Apple trouncing over all the little guys. It couldn't possibly be the company in question is deeply in debt and thinks it found its golden ticket. I mean, really, do you really think Apple caused them $1.6B USD in harm?
  • Reply 169 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Do you really think that Apple is engaging in counterfeiting?

Potential trademark infringement does not equate to "counterfeit";

Fair enough. It was just an analogy, and an imperfect one at that.
  • Reply 170 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Wrong. China stops buying American debt, then either China must buy some other American asset or product OR see their currency appreciate significantly against the dollar, destroying their export industry.

Also, when you owe the band $1,000 it's your problem. When you owe the bank $1 trillion, it's the bank's problem.

Correct.
  • Reply 171 of 205
    Quote:

Fair enough. It was just an analogy, and an imperfect one at that.

I understand the point of the analogy, but it's an analogy that either indirectly (or perhaps purposefully) imputes wrong motives toward Apple.

Many people seem to be acting like Apple is a bully in the case, that they are in the wrong. Apple may be playing hardball, but it seems more likely, based on the evidence, that either:

1) Apple did poor due diligence and did not predict this legal loophole, as they did attempt to legally purchase the "global" rights

2) Apple is the victim of a corrupt company exploiting a local court's nationalistic-bias (or corrupt nature)

In either case, Apple is being ripped off, whether it's because of corruption or a legal loophole that's being exploited.

Comparing them to "counterfeiters" is not fair.
  • Reply 172 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I understand the point of the analogy, but it's an analogy that either indirectly (or perhaps purposefully) imputes wrong motives toward Apple.

Many people seem to be acting like Apple is a bully in the case, that they are in the wrong. Apple may be playing hardball, but it seems more likely, based on the evidence, that either:

1) Apple did poor due diligence and did not predict this legal loophole, as they did attempt to legally purchase the "global" rights

2) Apple is the victim of a corrupt company exploiting a local court's nationalistic-bias (or corrupt nature)

In either case, Apple is being ripped off, whether it's because of corruption or a legal loophole that's being exploited.

Comparing them to "counterfeiters" is not fair.

From everything I've seen and read, my guess is that committing number 1 allowed number 2 to happen. This seems like a clear fukup, but I don't think it will have any material affect on Apple. It will get settled.
  • Reply 173 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I say, don’t give in, or the extortions will keep coming! Just call it Pad in China.

I could live with an Pad, but since I am not chinese, I am going to upgrade my iPad1 with an iPad3.

Actually Idon't think, that Proview has a chance in that case. The chinese gov. may be corrupt and so, but this request is so outragously beyond anything legal, that Proview can't possible have a chance to win this one. It's' more like a chiwawa barking at an elephant. If it get's too careless, it might get a wee bit flattened.
  • Reply 174 of 205
    Quote:

Likely you are right.

But tell me this - Does it make sense to build high-end robotic assembly lines in the US?

Sure, that's what most developed countries do. For instance, US makes advanced manufactured goods like airplanes (#1 export) and capital equipments (applied materials, cater pillar, etc). Samsung's semi for the most part still depends on heavy/industrial machinery from Applied materials/KLA/etc (at least as of early 2000's).

Quote:

And to hire skilled programmers and technicians and others to keep it running smoothly? And to build robot manufacturing plants in other parts of the US to keep up with demand for high-tech manufacturing tools and dies? Maybe steel mills and aluminum mills and machine shops to support all that?

I don't know if that is a practical idea or not, but it seems appealing if it could be pulled off.

um.. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. The problem with the steel industry back in the 90's had a lot to do with out-of-control pension obligations (restructured since) - newer mini-mills were (and are) doing quite well. Alcoa is still going strong. You also have to remember that the US manufacturing output has been steadily increasing for decades.
  • Reply 175 of 205
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Sure, that's what most developed countries do. For instance, US makes advanced manufactured goods like airplanes (#1 export) and capital equipments (applied materials, cater pillar, etc). Samsung's semi for the most part still depends on heavy/industrial machinery from Applied materials/KLA/etc (at least as of early 2000's).

um.. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. The problem with the steel industry back in the 90's had a lot to do with out-of-control pension obligations (restructured since) - newer mini-mills were (and are) doing quite well. Alcoa is still going strong. You also have to remember that the US manufacturing output has been steadily increasing for decades.

True. AND the U.S. is still the world's largest manufacturer:

https://www.uschina.org/public/docum...ufacturing.pdf
  • Reply 176 of 205
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    sosuemeipad

iPadC

upyoursiPad

iflatscreenmoneymaker

iFuckedyou (by changing the name)
  • Reply 177 of 205
    If they block the sales, there sure are going to be a lot of Chinese that make iPads out of work.
  • Reply 178 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

sosuemeipad

)

Close. 'sosumipad' based on the system sound from the 90's of 'sosumi.' Which in turn, came from Apple putting 'sound and music' on their devices, defying Apple Corps' agreement.
  • Reply 179 of 205
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The majority of the unemployed in the US are low-end menial assembly type people . . . . . The minimum wage needs to be a little lower and the cost of the products need to be a little higher.

. . .

This blather is unconscionable. Lower minimum wage? To what? menial assembly type people (OK, here, Prof. Peabody, may be a real case of racism.)

A person cannot live on minimum wage in the US. That includes shelter, food, clothing and transport. Forget healthcare or education beyond public school.

Roosevelt is rolling in his grave over this. Minimum wage originally gave a man (at the time that's how it was) enough to a) support a wife and two kids b) afford to save up for a downpayment on a house, c) put enough away for a week or two's cheap summer's camp holiday at a national park, d) and put away enough for his and wife's old age so's not to be a burden upon society. The thirty years under this system from the late forties to late seventies (though after 68ish? it was being wittled away) were the most economically fruitful for the US and its people (the majority of its people) in its history (including this present era). Never in the history of humankind had a more egalitarian system been seen in the world. Today it survives to some degree in Europe, Canada, Australia and a few other areas, but certainly not in the USA.

Get off that box and learn to think outside it. American's are capable of miracles. It can be done again! But not with such thoughtless rhetoric as espoused.

You sound like a thinking person, mstone. Know your history and the future is more likely to be better.
  • Reply 180 of 205
    Anyone care to speculate on how CORRUPT the Chinese government is?

I mean really, Proview wants and injunction and those are handed out by judges, who can be influenced?