Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally

1246711

Comments

  • sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    First, Capitalism as an ideology *is* basically organised crime. Operating in it's pure form (without regulation and controls), it's basically "strong-man rule," or a kind of Fascism.



    Um, NO.



    Capitalism in its pure form is the private control of every asset [land, ores, trees, crops, one's labor, etc.], with the use / exploitation / access to those assets being utilized by its owner to generate income (typically by selling the asset). Some people get rich, and some people get the shaft, but it has nothing to do with economic policies imposed from the top down.



    Fascism is a conservative economic system in which corporations [note, not an inherent attribute of "pure" capitalism] largely shape government policies, with a focus on communal rather than individual rights and values.
  • mrstepmrstep Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post


    I'm not even going to bother to even say anything about this. I don't have to speak for this. This story speaks for itself.



    Please go back to forwarding chain emails instead.
  • herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,176member
    Proview just woke up or something? ipad has been out for 2 years.



    Yet another case of lawsuit getting out of hand, lets halt all ipad sales because of a name dispute in China.



    I hope Apple is taking lessons at start to diversified its production across the world. And for crying out loud Apple stop buying components from Samsung.
  • tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,195member
    Apple should use a different name for iPad in China. Apple got the right in all other places. Chinese will become unhappy with this greedy company and blame Proview.
  • ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Proview might want to rein in their spokesperson. Because that kind of comment sounds like they did have an agreement with Apple and it could be exactly as Apple claims. But Proview is feeling a little hurt over the issue that they undersold the trademark rights since they didn't know it was going to Apple. So they are trying to bully their way into more money.



    Which is just the way to get Apple to yank iPad production out of China regardless of what the government says. And then move everything else as well.



    Anybody who has done business with Chinese companies should know this kind of stuff is going to happen. Getting an agreement does not mean a thing with most of them... just an opportunity to renegotiate or worse, stick it to the foreigner. If the Chinese company got guanxi, they can throw the foreigner in jail. Happened to the Australian of Chinese origin and has happened to people I have met before. Dealing with mainland China is very different from dealing here in the US, Japan or even Germany.



    With a $500B market cap, $100B in cash, Apple needs to diversify their sourcing and production globally. Besides, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Vietnam, etc are places to consider. I have always wondered if Apple could mechanize the production.
  • mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I find this to be basically a racist remark that goes much too far.



    Everyone knows China is a corrupt country, but it's only a tad more so than the USA. Judging by your "Old Bailey" remark I'd say you were actually from England which is hardly a place from which one should be talking about the corruption of other countries either.



    Corruption is everywhere, Prof. It is part of the human experience and comes from the competitive spirit. I don't agree with the concept and ramifications but it is and always will be and that is why we need an intelligent electorate to keep our governments' toes to the fires of honesty.

    When it come to corruption it doesn't matter the degree of corruption from the individual to the institution, it is that corruption harms others and controls must be held accountable to keep it in check.



    My comments are meant in humour/satire. It is one way to lift the spirits in an unfair world and useful for getting others (and myself) to ponder.



    As for the mention of the Bailey, anyone with access to some form of public TV, BBC, CBC, PBS will be familiar with the Rumpole series. I am definitely not British (well, at least seven generations from being such) though my country is part of the Commonwealth of Nations.
  • iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    In my opinion, Apple wants to be a patent bully at times....so they need a taste of their own medicine. Chinese courts (not including Hong Kong) already sided with this other company once......they can do it again.



    You forgot the obvious qualifier in your post!



    It would not be opinion though, to state that Apple seeks to maintain those protections afforded it by law. In this case and under the particular jurisdiction, the law might not be as transparent as would be helpful in seeking protection. \
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,708member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post


    Anybody who has done business with Chinese companies should know this kind of stuff is going to happen. Getting an agreement does not mean a thing with most of them... just an opportunity to renegotiate or worse, stick it to the foreigner. If the Chinese company got guanxi, they can throw the foreigner in jail. Happened to the Australian of Chinese origin and has happened to people I have met before. Dealing with mainland China is very different from dealing here in the US, Japan or even Germany.



    With a $500B market cap, $100B in cash, Apple needs to diversify their sourcing and production globally. Besides, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Vietnam, etc are places to consider. I have always wondered if Apple could mechanize the production.



    Apple should buy North Korea!
  • ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Who cares about the name?! It is the product that counts. Apple can change the name and called it iPad2, iPadii, aPad, i2Pad, etc. There are all kinds of combinations. Then move production out of China. Plus, enough of Samsung... quit buying their components and use their chip fabs.



    Tim Cook as a supply chain expert is over priced. Supply chains need redundancy and a lot of buffer. Global supply chains needs all kinds of contingency plans. The Apple supply chain had a lucky free ride so far with huge economies of scale and no back-up costs... now the Black Swans are showing up.
  • lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alann View Post


    And the difference is....



    Organised "crime" is illegal. That's the difference: being powerful enough to get the laws you need for your "bezness".
  • cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,151member
    China will overlook the trademark issue if Apple will stop investigating work conditions.
  • iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Except, most of us don't whizz in the bathtub...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Apple should buy North Korea!



    You're on fire over this one Dick!



    So, buying North Korea, is that the end run, the flanking manoeuvre, to beat the Chinese at their own game?
  • lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post


    Who cares about the name?! It is the product that counts. Apple can change the name and called it iPad2, iPadii, aPad, i2Pad, etc. There are all kinds of combinations. Then move production out of China. Plus, enough of Samsung... quit buying their components and use their chip fabs.



    Tim Cook as a supply chain expert is over priced. Supply chains need redundancy and a lot of buffer. Global supply chains needs all kinds of contingency plans. The Apple supply chain had a lucky free ride so far with huge economies of scale and no back-up costs... now the Black Swans are showing up.



    iTampon was suggested.
  • ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    You forgot the obvious qualifier in your post!



    It would not be opinion though, to state that Apple seeks to maintain those protections afforded it by law. In this case and under the particular jurisdiction, the law might not be as transparent as would be helpful in seeking protection. \



    Oops.
  • cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    Proview just woke up or something? ipad has been out for 2 years.



    Investigations into employee work conditions didn't get serious until just recently.
  • walletinspectorwalletinspector Posts: 53member
    Ã*Pad - problem solved.
  • iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post


    China will overlook the trademark issue if Apple will stop investigating work conditions.



    ...and of course, everyone else will stop investigating Apple! \
  • mr underhillmr underhill Posts: 678member
    I throw my Egg Foo Young at the wall
  • tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post


    Apple should use a different name for iPad in China. Apple got the right in all other places. Chinese will become unhappy with this greedy company and blame Proview.



    One more thing. Many overseas Chinese like to buy iPad and bring it back to China. With this lawsuit, they should be confiscated by the custom. They will get angry. Who do you think they will blame?
  • iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Oops.



    - you do have a sense of humour I see!
Sign In or Register to comment.