'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Two organizations that host online petition drives are claiming credit for Apple's partnership with the Fair Labor Association to monitor worker conditions in overseas suppliers' factories, over a month after the company originally announced its plans.

The two websites, Change.org and SumOfUs.org, issued press releases this morning suggesting that petitions they hosted were a motivating force behind Apple's supplier investigation, despite the fact that both publicity efforts occurred after Apple outlined its latest efforts in policing its supplier accountability policy.

Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, the executive director of SumOfUs.org, stated in a press release that additional details Apple had just released about its partnership with the FLA "came just a few days after consumer advocacy groups," including her own and Change.org, collectively "delivered over a quarter of a million petition signatures calling on Apple to address abysmal working conditions in its supply chain in time to produce an ethical iPhone 5."

Participants signing the petitions didn't actually do anything apart from supplying one of the two websites with their name and contact information, a growing movement known as "slacktivism," which is defined as participating in "'feel-good' measures, in support of an issue or social cause, that have little or no practical effect other than to make the person doing it feel satisfaction."

While claiming credit for exerting "pressure" that prompted Apple to work with the FLA, Stinebrickner-Kauffman in the same press release paragraph chided Apple's actions as meaningless and disingenuous, writing that "instead of actually solving the problem, they’re trying to whitewash it" by "hiring a business-funded group with a long track record of serving as a corporate mouthpiece." As a "business" "funding" the FLA, Apple is currently unique among its technology manufacturing peers, none of whom were mentioned by either Change.org or SumOfUs.org.

Empowering social change after the fact

A parallel press release issued by the same Meltwater Press publicity firm credited a petition by Change.org for Apple's efforts, with the blurb "viral Change.org campaign prompts Apple to ask the Fair Labor Association to investigate labor conditions in Chinese factories and publish reports."

The release quoted Mark Shields, who originated the Change.org petition drive, as saying "as an Apple consumer, I'm relieved to hear that Tim Cook is taking this seriously and breaking ground in the industry with Fair Labor Association auditing. But Apple still needs to use some of their trademark creativity and problem solving to create a worker protection plan for new products -- especially the upcoming iPad3 -- so that they're proactively taking care of their workers."

Amanda Kloer, the director of organizing for Change.org, wrote in the same press release that her site "is all about empowering people like Mark to win campaigns for social change, and it's been incredible to see his campaign's growth and Apple's announcement today."

Retroactive activism

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook actually announced plans to work with the FLA a month ago, as part of the annual release of the company's Supplier Responsibility Progress Report.

Apple began reporting the results of its audits of overseas suppliers in 2007, and has issued candid, public annual reports of its findings and what steps it has taken to correct the problems ever since.

A variety of media sources and publicity or fundraising organizations have jumped on the reports to accuse Apple of, for example, using underage labor or allowing the unsafe use of toxic chemicals, after the company reported discovering through hundreds of audits conducted each year that several of its contractors had failed to meet its standards and after Apple had taken action to stop the activities or terminate its relationship with the offending contractors.

Publicity at any cost

Prior to Apple's Supplier Responsibility Progress Reports, the company had for several years reported its pioneering efforts to reduce toxics and ewaste internationally, efforts that were similarly turned around by critics to draw attention to their organizations.

In 2005 and 2006, a series of campaigns waged by Greenpeace and the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition began using the company's rapidly growing visibility to kickstart their fundraising drives, with accusations that falsely suggested Apple was shipping sending toxic trash to third world countries and was involved in the "use of prison work programs where super-exploited, under-protected captive workers are subject to toxic exposure."

Greenpeace, in its "greener guide to electronics" praised HP for publishing toxics reduction goals that the company subsequently failed to meet, while ranking Apple as "partially bad" for failing to trumpet its goals publicly, despite having actually taken more effective action.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, the executive director of SumOfUs.org, stated in a press release that additional details Apple had just released about its partnership with the FLA "came just a few days after consumer advocacy groups," including her own and Change.org, collectively "delivered over a quarter of a million petition signatures calling on Apple to address abysmal working conditions in its supply chain in time to produce an ethical iPhone 5."

...in the same press release paragraph chided Apple's actions as meaningless and disingenuous, writing that "instead of actually solving the problem, they’re trying to whitewash it" by "hiring a business-funded group with a long track record of serving as a corporate mouthpiece."

You know, fuck them. I don't even care if they disingenuously take credit, if they can then feel self-satisfied/accomplished and shut the fuck up.

That 1st statement is absolutely ridiculous. These partnerships aren't made and announced in the span of a couple days. They take at LEAST weeks and months of planning to workout, especially with a company the size of Apple. Not 2 days, which is how quickly it would have needed to be done if the 'petitions' had anything to do with it. The complete waste of paper had nothing to do with this. But yeah, because of them, we get an 'ethical' iPhone 5, whatever the fuck that means. Apple has waved its magic wand and now everything is 'ethical'. Thank God for these selfless souls.

As for the 2nd statement, even more sickening. Shows that these groups couldn't care less about positive change and action, but instead only about tooting their own horn and expressing their 'outrage' and 'disappointment' that these steps don't meet their personal standards, like the complexity and harrowing nature of setting up a fucking online petition. The baseless character assassination and slander of FLA (because they actually do something) is pretty despicable.

Sorry for the language, but I'm sick of these liars who are doing more harm then good by misinforming the public in order to whore themselves out and make themselves seem relevant.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick
  • Reply 3 of 49
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricksta1971 View Post

to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick

The problem is Apple is taking the heat for everyone since all the companies are in the same basket regarding China. I dont like seeing a company being single out just because its succesful.

Maybe Apple moved faster with the inspections because of the petitions and pressure and all the bad press. So the movement did had some effect.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    One of AI's members already pointed out that most of these protesters were just looking for a big hug and a pat on the back to show how great they are. This pretty much proves that point, imo.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Rick

It's not very likely that these, as they call them, "feel good" petitions had any affect here. Likely Apple was working on this for months. It doesn't happen overnight. They may very well be taking credit for something that has nothing to do with them.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Rick

Your concern shouldn't be based on shady journalism.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    I just love these people who make statements just to invoke a reactions, they are trolls on a mass scale. as with any troll do not feed them with any sort of response and hopes they go away. The problem like what happen here any response by a company they will always claim they made it happen.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Worker conditions in China are better now than they ever were. Salaries are going up sharply, vacation time has increased, as has sick day numbers, etc.

I understand that Apple is being used as a whipping boy because of their current size, and because of their well known brand. But I have to wonder at the sincerity of those involved here in these organizations, and the writers who have been commenting on various web sites. After all, where were they several years ago when Apple was so much smaller, and HP, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba and others were having their equipment made there under much worse conditions? I don't remember anything stating these problems mentioning that they should help clean it up.

It all seems very hypocritical. There is also just a limited amount that Apple can do without every other major company joining in. In addition, this should be the job of the Chinese government, not individual customers of manufacturers in China. If the government isn't that interested in doing something, why should they? The other problem is the consumer. Why should Apple, or any other company have to raise their prices to do this when that will cost them competitiveness when consumers want the cheapest product?

Seriously, how many people here would be willing to pay another 10% in order to help Chinese workers? When it truly comes down to it, consumers won't want to do that. It's why in the past two years, manufacturers are moving to Vietnam so that they can bring their costs even lower.

And what about WalMart? They are, by far, more responsible for poor working conditions in China as they continue to squeeze pennies out of their suppliers, and move more of their purchases out of this country? Why aren't they mentioned? This is all just some more politically correct garbage.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Where's HP's supplier responsibility report? HTC's? Samsung's? Sony's?

How can anyone post here saying the "petitions" had an effect and still not consider themselves a troll?

1 month. That's how long it had been since the result was overlooked before they even started their petitions. And that's just the result! To start a process like this has to take more time.

I would now like to start a petition showing the atrocities of Hitler's regime and a call for U.S. intervention in Europe. Who wants to sign? I think we can make a difference! (Oh, and the victory party for our successful petition drive will be next Tuesday at 8.)
  • Reply 10 of 49
    For what it is worth, the FLA seems like a decent organization that has made a difference in other industries (shoes, clothing, etc.) I am not bothered that most of their funding comes from the American companies concerned about the conditions at their contractors' factories in Asia.

Apple was way out ahead of this torrent of negative publicity on labor issues. It is crazy that Apple has taken the heat when most of their competition is much worse, but Apple can take it. And as Apple is leading the way, the spotlight on their problems and remediations is a very good thing for all workers in the Asian electronics industry. Apple will set a very high standard that others will be forced to seek.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    So those truly disgusting and ignorant people are now patting themselves on their backs?

Change.org ? That sounds like a bunch of losers campaigning for a certain lying politician which shall remain nameless.

This story ties in perfectly with the iPad ban!

How about zero Chinese people will work for Foxconn in the future!? That will eliminate all possibilities of any so-called poor working conditions. People without any job can technically not whine about any working conditions.

Speaking of audits, the ignorant activists should be audited by the IRS for starters, as the likelihood that those losers are engaging in illegal activities is great and they are also probably not paying their fair share in taxes.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    I may have to appropriate this for nefarious purposes.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

As for the 2nd statement, even more sickening. Shows that these groups couldn't care less about positive change and action, but instead only about tooting their own horn and expressing their 'outrage' and 'disappointment' that these steps don't meet their personal standards, like the complexity and harrowing nature of setting up a fucking online petition. The baseless character assassination and slander of FLA (because they actually do something) is pretty despicable.

It's not exactly BASELESS.

It might not be true, but there's some basis for it. The FLA has been criticized for being funded by the companies it's supposedly watchdogging. There IS a little bit of a conflict of interest there.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One of AI's members already pointed out that most of these protesters were just looking for a big hug and a pat on the back to show how great they are. This pretty much proves that point, imo.

These groups are making ridiculous and embarrassing claims but it doesn't mean that every single protester thinks the same way. Mass labeling them isn't wise. I'm not even sure where you got this claim from.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

Change.org ? That sounds like a bunch of losers campaigning for a certain lying politician which shall remain nameless.

A politician who lies? Try to narrow it down for us a little.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

These groups are making ridiculous and embarrassing claims but it doesn't mean that every single protester thinks the same way. Mass labeling them isn't wise. I'm not even sure where you got this claim from.

I have realized from past exchanges that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Please study the dictionary to discover the meaning of these words when placed together, "most of".
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Please study the dictionary to discover the meaning of these words when placed together, "most of".

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

It doesn't matter. What matters is that people vote with their wallets. It's really just junk that people are willing to sign a petition. And how many were really Apple customers, and not customers from competitors who are thinking that this is a good opportunity to do something bad to Apple? It's not a conspiracy situation either. I come upon these people on various sites all the time who would love that chance to embarrass Apple.

The real question is whether people would give up buying almost everything they now buy because almost all of it is being manufacturered in China. We all know that it won't happen. People want their stuff, and they don't really care about what it takes to get it, even if they do lamely protest.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.

So what? It's perfectly ok to lie and make up rumors about these so-called activists. Because, that is exactly what they do. They have no proof for their claims, they lie, distort and exaggerate in order to push their bogus, ignorant cause forward.

They are the ones who should come with proof, and not the other way around.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

A politician who lies? Try to narrow it down for us a little.

I thought that the "change" part would be a pretty big clue.

If you still can't figure it out, then I'm sorry, I can not help any further.