'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And what about WalMart? They are, by far, more responsible for poor working conditions in China as they continue to squeeze pennies out of their suppliers, and move more of their purchases out of this country? Why aren't they mentioned? This is all just some more politically correct garbage.

Yeah Walmart is EVIL. They are responsible for even making working conditions worse in our countries (Canada and the US). They pay staff less than any other department store chain so they can kill off competing department stores that do pay they're staff better.

Just watch the department stores die in Canada, and the US vultures Walmart and Target scavenge the meat off the bones. First Eatons, then Zellers, who's next SEARS? Hudsons Bay Co.?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought that the "change" part would be a pretty big clue.

If you still can't figure it out, then I'm sorry, I can not help any further.

Stay away from cheap politics, please. It's utterly irrelevant to the issues being raised here, and you're simply baiting people.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Yeah Walmart is EVIL. They are responsible for even making working conditions worse in our countries (Canada and the US). They pay staff less than any other department store chain so they can kill off competing department stores that do pay they're staff better.

Just watch the department stores die in Canada, and the US vultures Walmart and Target scavenge the meat off the bones. First Eatons, then Zellers, who's next SEARS? Hudsons Bay Co.?

The Bay is already toast.

Hell, Walmart won't let unions start in Canada... just think of the conditions they accept in China.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

I wanted to discuss it more

But were unable to because...you stopped.

Quote:

You didn't really care about discussing the issue.

Then why was I still there discussing the issue and you weren't?

Quote:

I proposed some pretty radical ideas

You failed to answer multiple direct questions, and proposed utterly theoretical rubbish that you admitted you had no experience in.

Quote:

Apple clearly has leverage

The power to prevent one of your own suppliers providing identical products or services to a competitor is not the same as moving an entire supply chain elsewhere, as you suggested.

Given up using all your Apple gear?

Quote:

No.

Continuing to use products produced under the conditions that you claim to abhor is hypocrisy of the highest level.

Quote:

I never said I wanted a solution overnight.

And I bet that, overnight, you never did anything either.

Quote:

thats a whole lot more than you've accomplished.

Since you seem to be so familar with complete strangers, are you able to provide a specific list of what actions I did and didn't take?
  • Reply 45 of 49
    I would say that Mike Daisy's show probably had more to do with it than either of those petitions.

http://www.cultofmac.com/83634/woz-c...y-about-apple/
  • Reply 46 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Probably near the same number of people.

Then they'd turn around and write it off their taxes as a 'charitable contribution'.

I doubt that. Most people don't contribute to charity, and there would be no guarantee that this would be allowed as a charitable cause rather than a contribution to a foreign entity, or as a political donation of some kind.

But, I'd like to see it done. If there were a way to get some back in taxes, then fine. But even that only gets about 33% back, at most.

Of course, it's companies like Apple that are transforming the Chinese worker into a richer person. If they could do all of their manufacturing elsewhere, China would lose as many as 1.5 million jobs related to Apple alone. Then those people could all go back to their poor farms, or camp out around the big cities and riot.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Guys, please let's not get personal here.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Guys, please let's not get personal here.

Awwwww.... c'mon... what's the fun in that...
  • Reply 49 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricksta1971 View Post

to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

Trying reading it again.

AI isn't hostile to the efforts but to groups claiming credit for something that the facts show they really had zero to do with. FLA was in the mix ages before these two sites started their efforts. That claim of credit when it isn't due is way AI is hostile about