Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Samsung is not known for picture quality.

Are you really sure about that?
  • Reply 102 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

The real fun will begin when Apple's picture quality is worse and Samsung still copies it.

See, while Tim Cook himself said they're not making a TV, and I've never subscribed to the idea (like people didn't know that), because Samsung has said this hypocritical nonsense, there's a small part of me that wants Apple to make an HDTV and use Samsung panels JUST to get back at them for saying it.

Not a large enough part to think that an HDTV would ever be a good idea for Apple, but the idea's there.
  • Reply 103 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have a Samsung TV.

Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.

You think maybe there's more to a great TV experience than just pixel density?

Maybe an interface that doesn't suck? You think Apple can't walk in and improve on the garbage Samsung has been coasting on for years?

I have a Samsung TV. Picture quality is decent, but the audio is awful!
  • Reply 104 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by micdug View Post

Really disappointing to hear a product manager say something as foolish as "picture quality is all that matters" given how this has been shown to be wrong time after time.

The move from CD to MP3 (having substantially lower bit rate) showed consumers choose convenience over quality when it comes to technology goods. People were happy with good enough sound quality if they could take more tunes with them.

The MP3 market itself was dominated by flash until Apple introduced retrograde technology (Hard Disks!) with the first iPod's. Again an example of "better" technology being trumped by the convenience of all your music in your pocket.

3d - being pushed by Samsung and others is a massive degradation of screen quality. You can't compare 3D and HD. If quality was so important then Samsung would not push 3D. Actually 3D sucks and shows how little innovation is happening in the TV set manufacturing game - using gimmicks instead of genuine game changers...

I like Samsung, have two of their sets. But if this is the best their product manager can come up with they are in serious danger of a disruptive event happening in their market. I have spent a couple of days out of my life teaching my parents how to use their TV (Samsung)/Satellite dish, DVD player combo. The whole user experience sucks and is getting MUCH worse with the advent of smart (complex) tv's and this is the fault of people like Chris Moseley who just don't get it.

Roll on apple and show these people how it's done. When my seventy something year old dad does not need to call me to put the sports channel on I'll know we are going in the right direction.

Good points and well explained. Samsung just seems "icky" to me. Don't believe I will ever buy any of their televisions. Just not a company I could be proud to support.
  • Reply 105 of 165
    Am I the only one (besides AppleInsider, I suspect) who sees a strong parallel between what Samsung is saying about Apple and TV's compared to what Microsoft, Palm, RIM, etc. were saying about Apple's iPhone when it was first announced. The competition has a history of underestimating Apple.

Apple doesn't like to put out second best products. I think it would be very unusual for Apple to not be able to at least match Samsung's quality if not even beat them. Apple has much experience on color matching (wrote the book pretty much) so I could see Apple pulling something out of its sleeve that makes Samsung look lame once again.
  • Reply 106 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, while Tim Cook himself said they're not making a TV, and I've never subscribed to the idea (like people didn't know that), because Samsung has said this hypocritical nonsense, there's a small part of me that wants Apple to make an HDTV and use Samsung panels JUST to get back at them for saying it.

Not a large enough part to think that an HDTV would ever be a good idea for Apple, but the idea's there.

I hope you're right. There's little margin in TV's. There's potential in changing the experience; completing the experience.
  • Reply 107 of 165
    Should Apple come out with a TV using Samsung LCDs, then Samsung's statement is true.
  • Reply 108 of 165
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have two Samsung TVs, neither of them do that.

And as for interface, what is the issue with them? I change channels and it changes, I change the volume and the volume changes, what issue?

The basic controls seem fine, and on mine, the picture quality is very good (after I adjusted 50 or 60 individual custom settings), but the Smarthub interface is an abomination. AppleTV is much better, and I suspect that if Apple bring out an actual TV, they will get the entire interface right.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yu119995 View Post

"3d - being pushed by Samsung and others is a massive degradation of screen quality. You can't compare 3D and HD. If quality was so important then Samsung would not push 3D. Actually 3D sucks and shows how little innovation is happening in the TV set manufacturing game - using gimmicks instead of genuine game changers..."

Except they're not. If you care to actually do some research you'll see that they're getting ready to launch Super OLED TV's and believe me, the picture quality will be impeccable.

Except they are. We have a Samsung 3D LED tv at work that we use for testing Blu-ray, 3D etc. the picture quality is terrible. It has an issue with edge doubling. Samsung at first refused to believe there was a problem, then once they conceded it existed issued us with firmware updates that only made it worse. Personally I will never buy a Samsung tv - recently I bought a Panasonic and I couldn't be happier.

This Samsung fellow is barking up the wrong tree. Apple don't need ten thousand people working on image quality - they have Sharp's people already doing that. I'm confident that sharp will produce screens for Apple that will be much better than Samsung's - considering that they already do so.
  • Reply 110 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

I have to agree. I'm not following the situation very closely (since I won't be in the tv market for a couple years barring incident), but it seems to me that I'm seeing a lot of press releases from Samsung lately regarding an Apple TV-given that no one's seen a spec sheet, let alone a product.
  • Reply 111 of 165
    I have owned one Samsung TV. The POS lasted till the warranty expired. The repair would have been close to a thousand dollars. Purchased a Panasonic Plasma 54" about two years ago for a couple hundred more than what it would have cost to repair the Samsung POS. Will I ever purchase another Samsung? Absolutely not. Will I purchase an Apple branded TV? Absolutely.
  • Reply 112 of 165
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    I heard Samsung is coming out with transparent TVs similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=m5rlTrdF5Cs
  • Reply 113 of 165
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yu119995 View Post

"Simplify the tv" LOL!

Are current TV's too difficult to use?

Yes.

• Reply 114 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The basic controls seem fine, and on mine, the picture quality is very good (after I adjusted 50 or 60 individual custom settings), but the Smarthub interface is an abomination. AppleTV is much better, and I suspect that if Apple bring out an actual TV, they will get the entire interface right.

Mine don't have the smarthub feature, personally I don't think they should have that built into the TV, should be a separate device. And if Apple does release something, hopefully it is an improvement on ATV, I'm not a big fan of its interface
  • Reply 115 of 165
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Samsung has nothing to worry about. This is all speculation, guesswork and fantasy from Apple fanatics. No one would be silly enough to pay the Apple premium for a TV. This is just silly talk and Samsung is playing along for fun of course.

Reminds me of this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GkzIp67B66...46tdq8_210.jpg
  • Reply 116 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

Yes, that's a load of bluster from them.
  • Reply 117 of 165
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Mine don't have the smarthub feature, personally I don't think they should have that built into the TV, should be a separate device. And if Apple does release something, hopefully it is an improvement on ATV, I'm not a big fan of its interface

They certainly should be separate with the Samsung TV. If you are not impressed with the AppleTV interface you would hate the Smarthub.
  • Reply 118 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electroshocked1 View Post

I have owned one Samsung TV. The POS lasted till the warranty expired. The repair would have been close to a thousand dollars. Purchased a Panasonic Plasma 54" about two years ago for a couple hundred more than what it would have cost to repair the Samsung POS. Will I ever purchase another Samsung? Absolutely not. Will I purchase an Apple branded TV? Absolutely.

People have bad experiences with lots of brands, I have had several Apple products fail, doesn't mean it happens to all of them.

Also, does your country not have consumer protection laws? It some countries if it was a manufacturing fault samsung still would have repaired it.
  • Reply 119 of 165
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Moseley at Samsung said he believes that television sets are "ultimately about picture quality."

Mosley is right - and that's why I just bought a Philips instead of a Samsung
  • Reply 120 of 165
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

Seems like my iPad and iPhone have nicer screens than their Samsung rivals.

That's certainly not my ownership assessment, given that my Galaxy Tab 10.1, 8.9 and Galaxy Nexus have much better contrast and color fidelity than either my iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, with blacks so dark on my Galaxy Nexus as to barely be discernable from the screen's black border.

Sure... My IPhone edges out my Galaxy Nexus by 10 ppi in pixel density (far less than the advantage my Galaxy Tab 8.9 or 10.1 has over the iPad - BTW), but that's at the sacrifice of having a mere 3.5 inches of touchscreen real estate vs 4.65 inches, and in real-world use one can't tell the difference anyway.

I have little doubt that whatever Apple brings out for a TV, it''ll be very nice, but Samsung's definitely ahead of the game when it comes to display technology.