Apple reportedly revamping iAd to rekindle interest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    that Apple is giving this another shot is interesting. with Steve gone they had no need to keep it if they didn't feel that iAd had potential. I also find it interesting that Apple used the concept of low prices of apps in order to get high volumes but for iAd they took a premium approach with low volumes and that didn't work out. Perhaps getting the price as low as possible might have a positive effect in terms of volume. A few of us would be happy to see iAd outsell Google ads (and others) on the platform where people are most willing to shop.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I thought it was the creative control that was putting advertisers off, not the cost.

Anyway apps are generally cheap enough on the App Store that I go for the ad-free version if there's a choice.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

24% is hardly dominating.

Wrong. Latest figures say that Google has 45% - and about 4.5 times their nearest competitor. That's dominating:

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1008452

The same article points out that Google takes in more than 3/4 of search engine dollars.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    $100,000 should be dropped to $100

If you want it to succeed, let people get in and advertize.

Tom
  • Reply 25 of 30
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Ad-supported apps are NOT my favorite model. But it’s an important option to have, and I’m not 100% opposed in every case.

I don't mind ad-supported apps, especially since I have custom hosts files that block ads on all of my devices, including the ads on AI
  • Reply 26 of 30
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

I have had an iPad from about two months after they were first released and I have never seen the mythical iAd. I use ad supported software but only see google ads. Where do you find them?

iAds are only available in certain countries. From the iAd developer website:

Quote:

iAd advertisements are currently being served to apps on the U.S., U.K., Germany, Italy, Spain, France, and Japan App Stores.

• Reply 27 of 30
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

$100,000 should be dropped to $100

If you want it to succeed, let people get in and advertize.

I understand Apple's high bar setting for iAd.

The problem with making it too cheap to advertise is that you get far too many crap quality ads: low-res/ugly images, black bars and/or stretching because the ad was designed for the wrong size screen, flashing nonsense, etc. This detracts from the overall experience that Apple has created for iOS.

Set the bar high enough, and you ensure that advertisers will spend the money (or have the in-house expertise) to provide top quality ads.

This also speaks to the comment AppleZilla made about generally only clicking on iAds -- they tend to look far more professional than the ads delivered by Google and others. It's kinda like comparing Super Bowl ads to late-night informercials.

Perhaps they could make it a bit cheaper, but have a review process to ensure the quality stays high enough.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have yet to see an iAd.

Me too. Then again, it's not available in my country. But I liked the demo Steve gave, and wish they would allow their iAd Gallery app to be downloaded by anyone, regardless of their 'home store'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They certainly have plenty of time to sort it out but for a company with so few missteps this one is looking pretty big.

I cannot understand why it takes them this long. iAd was announced on April 8, 2010, almost 2 years ago. What is keeping them from going globally, market iAd aggressively and entice it enough so that add agencies floc to Apple? To me, it just seems to linger on, lowering the signup cost time and again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

To me, this is the most interesting part of the entire article. While Google owns desktop advertising, mobile advertising is clearly anyone's game at this point. I would love to see it remain split like this, but if someone has to dominate, I hope it's anyone but Google.

I share that thought, yet cannot put my finger on it as to why. Do I loathe Google that much(?) Do you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's just WRONG for any headline to include "Apple" and "kindle" in the same sentence.

What if Apple rekindles the iPad to 8"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

iAds are only available in certain countries. From the iAd developer website:

It is posts like these that make me want to read the forum. A crying shame one has to sift through all the nonsense, name-calling and other, well, crap.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    @ PhilBoogie

Off Topic: Is that new Apple Store close to you?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ PhilBoogie

Off Topic: Is that new Apple Store close to you?

Normally I don't answer to 'personal' questions, but this one is cool with me: nope. I live in The Hague, some 60km south of it. Fortunately, authorized resellers are all over the place here, but I will definitely go and see the store, for nationalism reasons. A bit like you have with Kodak, which I feel very sorry for. Strangely more so than RIM, but I cannot explain. Probably because I'm into photography.