10.1 on G4 Upgraded Beige G3 Mac...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay.

Have OS 9.2 and 10.1 on iBook.

Tried installing 9.2 and 10.1 on Sonnet G4 upgrade Beige G3 Mac (currently running 8.6...)

9.2 installed fine. ('Cept the internet wouldn't work...guess have to reconfigure?)

10.1? Inserted it...but it CD wouldn't show up on the desktop! Tried inserting it via 3rd party CD player...it popped up on desktop...but the Mac Os X installer wouldn't restart and begin installing.

Is this a 9.2 issue with accelerator cards being locked out?

Would 10.1 installer work if the Sonnet upgrade cpu was taken out?

Do I need to download a patch from Sonnet's website to recognise the installer CD?

Any help you guys can give regarding the above queries would be appreciated.

Lemon Bon Bon

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I have installed and ran OS X 10.1 on several beige G3s with LXR8 G4 ZIF CPUs (http://www.macsales.com) with no problems. I have even tricked a couple beiges out with ATI Rage 128 cards, FireWire cards and USB cards too.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've had a problem a while back when I was installing Mac OS X DP3 on my Beige G3 (almost G4 )... basically I cancelled the install and the cd-rom no longer worked (for any cds). Don't know if this problem still exist, but I had to reset PRAM and hit the CUDA button (top left corner of mother board, next to pci slots) to get the cd drive working again.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    "I've had a problem a while back when I was installing Mac OS X DP3 on my Beige G3 (almost G4 )... basically I cancelled the install and the cd-rom no longer worked (for any cds). Don't know if this problem still exist, but I had to reset PRAM and hit the CUDA button (top left corner of mother board, next to pci slots) to get the cd drive working again."

I had the same problem. I managed to get the cd-rom working again by rebooting into 8.6 as my start up disk. 9.2 wouldn't have it...

PRAM and 'CUDA' button...logged and noted.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    what model CD drive is it you might try setting it slave or master move it around from what it is. it should install biege G3 w G4 will have problems when selecting X as a start up disk it wont for me you have to use "system disk" control panel it was part of darwin. will it start up from the X CD with the c key at startup?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi Bernard,

"what model CD drive is it you might try setting it slave or master move it around from what it is.

it should install biege G3 w G4 will have problems when selecting X as a start up disk it wont for me"

"you have to use "system disk" control panel it was part of darwin."

I'll try that.

"will it start up from the X CD with the c key at startup?"

No. It just boots straight into 9.2! Doesn't recognise 10.1 installer cd. CD icon doesn't pop up on desktop. Guy above says "reset PRAM and hit the CUDA button"...haven't tried that yet.

When the CD did work the first time...clicked on 'restart' in 9.2 and the machine just froze. Did this a few times... Tried it several times. Then the CD icon wouldn't appear anymore!

I heard with upgrade cards that patches were needed to get 10.1/9.2 to install correctly? It's a Sonnet processor upgrade card (G4) on a Beige G3...

My suspicion is that it will work okay without the upgrade card...but of course I want it to work with the G4 upgrade card

Lemon Bon Bon