Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Though the new Mac Messages application with cross-platform support for iOS will be a major feature of the forthcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, users can get their hands on an early beta immediately.

The Messages beta is now available for download direct from Apple for free. Apple's official site advertises that it will give users "a taste of what's coming in OS X Mountain Lion," set to be released in late summer 2012.

"When you install Messages, it replaces iChat," Apple said. "But iChat services will continue to work. And Messages brings iMessage to the Mac -- just like on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 5."

The Messages beta requires users be running the latest version of Lion, OS X 10.7.3. The full list of features of the Messages application, according to Apple, are:

Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.

Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.

Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.

The release of Messages for Mac echoes Apple's launch of FaceTime for Mac in late 2010. FaceTime video chat was originally introduced with the iPhone 4, but eventually made its way to the Mac as a beta application, followed by full FaceTime integration in OS X 10.7 Lion when it launched last July.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Currently unavailable.

Says to try back in a few hours.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Currently unavailable.

Says to try back in a few hours.

That's odd, mine downloaded immediately ... (I am in FL, USA)
  • Reply 3 of 74
    This is exciting- I was disappointed when this wasn't included originally- glad to see they were working on it.

The iOS-ification of OSX currently and in Mountain Lion will always be controversial, but I'm pretty excited to see how they integrate it together. With iCloud and the like, the Mac is really no longer necessarily the 'hub' of your Apple gear- any additional integration with their other products is welcome as far as I'm concerned. The understandable fear is that the Mac will lose flexibility/advanced features in this transition.. time will tell how they tip toe around this. We've seen one way of managing this is the recently released Airport Utility- make it dumbed down to the average user, but provide those advanced features under the hood (although I have read they did actually drop some features).
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Hi apple Insider,

I guess new software means new hardware accordingly. Most likely the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced just before (including free issue new OS) or after the summer holidays, containing newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform

Unfortunately for all the people looking forward to buy a new macbook or iMac in the next few months.. (which was in line with previous years revamps iMac)
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Here's a link to download directly:

http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBe...ssagesBeta.dmg
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

Hi apple Insider,

I guess with new software new hardware will be released accordingly. This will most likely mean the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced not in the next few months but just before or after the summer holidays, which means the new macs will contain the newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform.

Unfortunately for all the people looking forward to buy a new macbook or iMac in the next few months..

Right, but this is always the case. It's best to time a purchase with a new cycle of hardware upgrades if possible, but not absolutely necessary- Sandy Bridge will still be a great architecture in a year and will have Apple support for many years. Latest and greatest is a nice to have, but not a need for most users.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Can you still do screen sharing?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Can I send and receive messages for my phone number? The iPad currently can send only from an Apple ID. That's annoying, because you end up with two separate threads of communication.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nevan King View Post

Here's a link to download directly:

http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBe...ssagesBeta.dmg

Thanks. I'm getting "Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again." when I try the story's URL. Download link works.

Why this doesn't SMS like Google Voice, though, I don't know.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay ...........

Yay !
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Can I send and receive messages for my phone number? The iPad currently can send only from an Apple ID. That's annoying, because you end up with two separate threads of communication.

The iPad isn't a phone. What I do is keep everything to Apple ID's so you're then left with minimum amount of duplicate conversations.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uninterested_Viewer View Post

This is exciting- I was disappointed when this wasn't included originally- glad to see they were working on it.

The iOS-ification of OSX currently and in Mountain Lion will always be controversial, but I'm pretty excited to see how they integrate it together. With iCloud and the like, the Mac is really no longer necessarily the 'hub' of your Apple gear- any additional integration with their other products is welcome as far as I'm concerned. The understandable fear is that the Mac will lose flexibility/advanced features in this transition.. time will tell how they tip toe around this. We've seen one way of managing this is the recently released Airport Utility- make it dumbed down to the average user, but provide those advanced features under the hood (although I have read they did actually drop some features).

I would think that Apple at some point will have sort of kernel OS. Making this into iOS or OS X is simply done by adding the appropriate apps. Just like OS X Server is also just an additional app. If it works this way, you will still get all your more powerful features with the OS X, while is fully interchangeable at a kernel level
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta? This is tempting, but I can't lose access to various programs I need (updated versions have missing functionality).

Anyone know how to create a VM with Snow Leopard on it while running Lion?
  • Reply 14 of 74
    ... and unexpected.

So much for "Lynx". lol

I suppose it makes sense -- Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion ....

Nice, easy-to-swallow babysteps towards the iOS-ing of OS X.

But the "Out Of Nowhere"-ness of this is positively breathtaking!

I mean, who saw this coming?!?

No one ....

Makes me wonder what sledgehammer thier gonna slam us over the head with hardware-wise this year ....

AAPL $600, anyone?
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

I thought you could set the preferences on an iPhone to deliver messages to both your number and Apple ID.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta?

Message is Lion only, so no Rosetta for you.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

... and unexpected.

So much for "Lynx". lol

I'd bet a million dollars the next release adopts a new naming scheme and gets goes all out with a Launchpad inspired interface. I don't think however that it will be branded as iOS, nor should it.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrissawyer View Post

Can you still do screen sharing?

Yes you can. All the features of iChat seem pretty much unchanged, they just stuffed Messages into it and renamed it.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    YES. IT REPLACES ICHAT.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

For a horrible minute I thought it was going to be a THIRD application. Now all we have to do is combine FaceTime with this thing and we'll be golden.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Is that screen shot the UI though? That's same terribe UI that aim beta recently had. I do NOT want a giant square window with contacts on left and chat on right. There better be an option to support a traditional buddylist ONLY window and conversation only window. screen real estate still matters and i do not want a giant appauling rectangle window on my screen when i can have a tiny IM box by itself and buddylist hidden, or buddylist with chat hidden, at any time.