Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Launchpad? Hmm, perhaps named after the various rockets in the space program. Saturn, Apollo, etc.

Too predicable and cheesy. Named after some of the more simpler named astronomical objects perhaps. Perhaps. Or perhaps something completely out of left-field. Or perhaps simply the planets in our own solar system. What gives me pause to that idea, however, is the planet named uranus. Perhaps the name of moons?
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

I would like to see a client for Windows 7 so I can send messages to the wifes iPhone when at work.

This would be where people tell you to buy yourself an iPhone and problem solved heh. Or a Mac, like someone else already said, but most people don't get to dictate their computer at work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if this Messages app, once out of beta, gets a Windows version. Tons of PC folks have iPhones and iPads after all. And then there are businesses with that combo.

I agree w/TS, there is no reason to put Messages on the PC. This is yet another selling point for the Mac. "Look how easily you can communicate with people, whether they're on a iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad or a Mac." I already use Adium to streamline my chatting as it is.

Also, yeah I'm nto a fan of the single box for iMessage either. I have too many people on my list to show up on a 1680x1050 22" screen w/my contact list stretched the whole way down as it is.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    iChat could already send SMS to phones (albeit with the character limit inherent in SMS), and it could already message Apple ID's. What is iMessages bringing to the table?
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Too predicable and cheesy. Named after some of the more simpler named astronomical objects perhaps. Perhaps.

Mac OS XI

Version 11.0

Release name: Mercury (and the other nine planets fall in step afterward, giving us up to 11.9 for versions. Done and done.)

Code name: BHA
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

Yes you can. All the features of iChat seem pretty much unchanged, they just stuffed Messages into it and renamed it.

thanks very much!
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrissawyer View Post

thanks very much!

Well, minus multi-person videoconferencing. I found screen sharing, then.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mac OS XI

Version 11.0

Release name: Mercury (and the other nine planets fall in step afterward, giving us up to 11.9 for versions. Done and done.)

But Pluto's not a planet anymore!
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

But Pluto's not a planet anymore!

Pluto and Eris are both planets by virtue of the fact that the IAU's nonsensically arbitrary and disgustingly biased "definition" of a planet also excludes Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Neptune from planetary status.

They wrote it JUST to get Pluto out, and they refuse to apply their own rules to any of the other planets. That's not a definition, that's an excuse.

Since Pluto remains a planet, Eris, by virtue of being larger than Pluto, is also a planet. QED.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    How can a simply message app not be made to work on Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

iChat could already send SMS to phones (albeit with the character limit inherent in SMS), and it could already message Apple ID's. What is iMessages bringing to the table?

Answering my own question. It will send an iMessage directly to the phone using iMessage, bypassing the SMS text limit and not charging your account for the text (SMS) message. Added benefit is I get it on my Mac, my phone, and my iPad all at the same time.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

It can. Limiting new features to the latest hardware is how companies get people to upgrade their software. Lion is only $30. Mountain Lion most likely will be the same. I suggest paying the nominal upgrade fee to stay current and get all the latest features.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Is anyone actually getting messages updated on your phone as well? It seems to keep the messages separate from my iPhone. I made sure that the @me.com e-mail is correct on both the computer and phone and that the e-mail is connected to both. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?
  • Reply 53 of 74
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;2047497]Though the new Mac Messages application with cross-platform support for iOS will be a major feature of the forthcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, users can get their hands on an early beta immediately.

Will we still be able to hold a video conference with Mac users running iChat?

Will we still be able to hold a video conference with Windows users running AOL Instant Messenger?

Can we video conference with other than Mac/iOS?

Will Screen Sharing be retained as with iChat? This is a GREAT feature!

Will the capability of iChat Theater (for presentations) be retained? No need for Go To PC.

Will send SMS go away to non-iPhones? It doesn?t always work now anyway.

Will we be able to revert BACK to iChat during the beta period? How? Should we archive the app first?
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rctshack View Post

Is anyone actually getting messages updated on your phone as well? It seems to keep the messages separate from my iPhone. I made sure that the @me.com e-mail is correct on both the computer and phone and that the e-mail is connected to both. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

Works fine for me to my Mac and iPad. You're using the same address on both, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunner1954 View Post

Will we still be able to hold a video conference with Mac users running iChat?

I don't know. I haven't tried that yet, and my only remaining iChat contact isn't on right now. I'll report back once he is, though.

Quote:

Will Screen Sharing be retained as with iChat? This is a GREAT feature!

Yep, it's still there.

Quote:

Will the capability of iChat Theater (for presentations) be retained? No need for Go To PC.

I would imagine, but I'll confirm once he gets on.

Quote:

Will send SMS go away to non-iPhones? It doesn’t always work now anyway.

What? What does this mean?

Quote:

Will we be able to revert BACK to iChat during the beta period? How? Should we archive the app first?

There's an option in the Messages menu in the Menu Bar that says "Uninstall Messages Beta", so I assume there's a copy of iChat kept on your system somewhere.

Instantaneous edit: Ah, nope. It opens Software Update and downloads iChat again.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Most likely because it replies on iCloud APIs, which is not included in SL. You lived without this until now, so you can continue living without it if you don't want to update. Simple as that, and not worth bitching about. It's pretty clear almost all new software released by Apple going forward will required at least 10.7.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rctshack View Post

Just make sure you register your email address on your iOS device with iMessage and enable iMessage. It took about 5 mins before it started working after registering an email address. After that I received it on my mac, my iPad, and my iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    This guy already made Growl and auto-resize for Messages:

http://tiagodovale.deviantart.com/ar...Beta-285399682
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

Works fine for me to my Mac and iPad. You're using the same address on both, right?

For some reason, I had both the computer and the phone working with my @me.com account and it wouldn't sync... and then I changed over to another account with my regular e-mail. Just changed everything to that account now and it works fine. I don't know what the issue was, but it works now.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Mac OS XI

Version 11.0

Quit stealing my ideas. Besides, Pluto is no longer considered a planet and Uranus doesn't have the best connotations.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    10.9 will be named Lynx, as Apple links OSX and iOS. OK, maybe not, but wouldn't that be great marketing? I think Lynx is a great name. I doubt whatever follows 10.9 will be anything more than just another (excellent) update to OSX. People on the web go nuts over silly things like the significance of numbers ("OMG! After 10.9 Apple has to give us a whole new OS!") but the truth of the matter is that OSX is strong and has many more years of growth and development ahead of it.

As for Mountain Lion... there's a lot for us to look forward to. I'll upgrade the day my 3rd party hardware runs on it (mainly, an Apogee Duet). Today's news is surprising, but I'm excited! I bet it'll be another cheap Mac App Store purchase.

Yeah, 1 year is a quick turnaround, but the timing is right for Apple to make some major strides toward integrating iOS and OSX.

It's a good time to be an Apple fan, eh? Good times indeed.