Apple wins German injunction against Motorola over 'slide-to-unlock'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Given that Windows phone uses this feature, and that Microsoft has assured OEMs IP free headaches, does this mean that MS licence it from apple?

If so they must have a lot of reciprocal agreements.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Shaking or turning the phone are obviously not a way to prevent accidental unlocking, so they don't fulfill the desired function and cannot be considered. All of the rest are some form of interaction with the screen, and those that don't rely on both spatial and temporal coordination of the input are very error prone and so useless (double tapping, seriously?). Swiping without an image is interesting, I wonder what your thought is the screen should be doing while we're unlocking it: be completely black, or white? Both of these are images nevertheless, however uninformative. So, what other way is there to unlock a screen without interacting with it as specified in Apple's patent?

pre iphone- power button followed by pin additionally touching predefined parts of the screen in a given order, ie graphical pin.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Absolutely!

- The 'circular unlock' feature on the Xoom, current HTC Sense and ICS devices is not only imune to these claims, but also vastly superior in function to other generic 'slide to unlock' designs... especially as user selectable apps can be added to the circle for quick access.

Anyway...This whole 'slide-to-unlock' along a designated path has become a bit old/tired i.e circa 2007, with Google already having come up with something far more innovative that's pretty much ready for implementation.

problem is that IBM has a patent on circular menus (or selecting an item from a circle of items) so this feature of selecting items on the unlock screen, will butt up against "big blue" IBM. ...people seem to think that they can pick a fight with apple... does google also think it can win against the "god" of computing(IBM) lol? (ok blasphemy but true..)
  • Reply 64 of 82
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Shaking or turning the phone are obviously not a way to prevent accidental unlocking, so they don't fulfill the desired function and cannot be considered. All of the rest are some form of interaction with the screen, and those that don't rely on both spatial and temporal coordination of the input are very error prone and so useless (double tapping, seriously?). Swiping without an image is interesting, I wonder what your thought is the screen should be doing while we're unlocking it: be completely black, or white? Both of these are images nevertheless, however uninformative. So, what other way is there to unlock a screen without interacting with it as specified in Apple's patent?

the circle method, or the OH method as in "OH let my turn on my phone" lol.

how about the letter method (uh, on second thought, because letters have vertical or horizontal strokes in them, that method would infringe. ) wow, the only letter in the alphbet without v/h strokes... "O" hence the non-infringement. W..S.. too complex, C...close to "O".
  • Reply 65 of 82
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

pre iphone- power button followed by pin additionally touching predefined parts of the screen in a given order, ie graphical pin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

the circle method, or the OH method as in "OH let my turn on my phone" lol.

how about the letter method (uh, on second thought, because letters have vertical or horizontal strokes in them, that method would infringe. ) wow, the only letter in the alphbet without v/h strokes... "O" hence the non-infringement. W..S.. too complex, C...close to "O".

The thing is, I believe any of these are also covered by Apple's patent. In the patent, they give slide-to-unlock only as an example, but their more general definition includes any gestures performed on an image, which should include tapping a code onto image of a numeric keypad as well. It's not just the slide gesture, if it was the patent would be invalid since clearly there is prior art on the gesture used for unlocking.

I appreciate all of your ideas, you give them for free and they take you less than a few minutes of thinking. How much do you think Apple invested in coming up with their method?
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iTunes doesn't work.

Office doesn't work.

Printing was crap before Apple fixed it (CUPS)

KDE is better than Gnome.

iTunes doesn't work. (Pure junk)

Office doesn't work. (this is what stupid people use)

Printing was crap before Apple fixed it (CUPS) (printing is working fine on my machine both locally and via ip. you must just be a dullard)

KDE is better than Gnome (could have been, should have been, maybe later)
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

The problem is, these android love children just recently discovered that the only place where cool stuff is happening in the tech world is at Apple, so suddenly they are all reading AI.

"Let's go to Appleinsider and find out what cool things will soon be coming to Android."

It wouldn't be so sad if the guys at Google didn't so obviously wet their pants at every Apple release. .... recent rumor: the guys at Google working night and day trying 'invent' a responds to Siri. "Lets pretend we got it from Star Trek"

Duh....Apple has been buying voice and personal assistant companies for years, the Siri guys were even giving demos, you would think someone would know what Apple was up to.

Another little hint.... 3D mapping.....say no more

"Let's go to Appleinsider and find out what cool things will soon be coming to Android." No, its more like going to the zoo to laugh at the monkeys and watch them throw their own poo.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Because it's synonymous with turning a door knob? Do you think that "turning a knob to open a door" should be patented?

You might have a point if your point were true.

If I invented a new way to open doors, I would patent that too. This is actually nothing like turning a door knob. Sure as heck is not synonymous with it.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

The thing is, I believe any of these are also covered by Apple's patent. In the patent, they give slide-to-unlock only as an example, but their more general definition includes any gestures performed on an image, which should include tapping a code onto image of a numeric keypad as well. It's not just the slide gesture, if it was the patent would be invalid since clearly there is prior art on the gesture used for unlocking.

I appreciate all of your ideas, you give them for free and they take you less than a few minutes of thinking. How much do you think Apple invested in coming up with their method?

You would be wrong. A standard input like tapping on any type of keypad would not be covered by this patent.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Absolutely!

- The 'circular unlock' feature on the Xoom, current HTC Sense and ICS devices is not only imune to these claims,

So these devices do not use an image to guide the user. I can 'swipe' a circle anywhere on the screen that I wish to unlock the phone.

Because as I understand Apple's patent it is for a gesture preset in the software and performed in a preset place with an image and/or text to guide the user to the correct spot and gesture.

Which means, depending on exactly how this circle works, Apple could be able to win an appeal that in fact they are not immune.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Hey Motorola, slide this:

I don't think the Neonode's method is quite the same. Apple's patent states:

"The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device. The performance of the predefined gesture with respect to the unlock image may include moving the unlock image to a predefined location and/or moving the unlock image along a predefined path."

The patent could sort of describe the Neonode method if you cut out the conditionals but it doesn't use an identifier to perform the unlock, you just slide across the bottom of the screen. There's no interactive animation to the unlocking.

Still, I'm sure Apple wouldn't like if someone else held a patent on keycode entry that would prevent them using a pin unlock system. They could have let this one slide but in light of the blatant plagiarism of Apple's unique designs, these Android device manufacturers and Google deserve to have at least some lawsuits go through protecting Apple's uniqueness.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For the record, this is just you saying that prior art exists.

You make it sound like some court somewhere has established that the Neonode N1 is definitely "prior art" when in fact it's not the case at all.

I guess you havent followed the Samsung vs Apple in the Holland case now have you?

What the courts will do is invalidate Apple's latest "patent" (not a patent of course) in the trial as prior art/ utility was already established before.

You dont believe me?

Here is facts for you:

http://www.androidcentral.com/apple-...ey-invented-it

Quote:

It did work as expected in the Netherlands though, and Samsung has already brought the lowly Neonode N1m in front of the court there -- and had Apple's claims over slide to unlock determined to be "trivial and likely invalid", and the court refused to consider them.

Quote:

when in fact it's not the case at all.

So much for fact checking, "Professor".

You got served.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"Let's go to Appleinsider and find out what cool things will soon be coming to Android." No, its more like going to the zoo to laugh at the monkeys and watch them throw their own poo.

I hear yah, a lot more fun than hanging out at Android rumor sites chatting about how Google plans to ape Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

'Obvious' only because it's been around on Apple devices for 5 years? Intermittent wipers are obvious now, but I'm sure to Robert Kearns in 1963, it was novel and innovative.

It wasn't seen in a phone before. It had been seen in sci fi and in door locks going back decades.

Same idea different use... Slide to unlock isn't a new concept. It's only new to phones at best. Other phones had gestures before the iphone too, just nothing with global recognition. I think one was actually out of Germany. I'll look for the link again later.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

It wasn't seen in a phone before. It had been seen in sci fi and in door locks going back decades.

Same idea different use... Slide to unlock isn't a new concept. It's only new to phones at best. Other phones had gestures before the iphone too, just nothing with global recognition. I think one was actually out of Germany. I'll look for the link again later.

It doesn't have to be a new concept, it just has to be a unique implementation. Would you disallow patenting the pogo stick because people have been jumping up and down for a long time? The telegraph because of smoke signals? How could Edison patent the light bulb, when candles had been doing the same thing for so long?

Somehow whenever it involves Apple we get into these insane standards of innovation that would preclude the entire concept of invention, for anyone, ever.

Since new ideas don't come from the bizarro dimension and leave us all mystified as to what they even do, of course they have antecedents.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Professor Peabody,

I'll take your silence in this matter and a lack of a reply as your admonition of defeat.

Thank you.

• Reply 77 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @ Galbi,

You're being antagonist trying to provoke PP into an argument. That's not permitted.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Galbi,

You're being antagonist trying to provoke PP into an argument. That's not permitted.

Completely agree. You already proved your point and being arrogant about it it doesn't gain you any respect.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Completely agree. You already proved your point and being arrogant about it it doesn't gain you any respect.

This is a lion's nest. Nobody has respect for me. I'm always being singled out and trampled on
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This is a lion's nest. Nobody has respect for me. I'm always being singled out and trampled on

If you tried to have a rational, intelligent conversation instead of trolling you'd command some respect.