With Mountain Lion, Apple officially drops 'Mac' from OS X name

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, instead of my usual mockery of the fake implications of something like this, I'm going to pose a hypothetical.

Yeah, they're removing Mac from the name. Because the OS doesn't just apply to Macs anymore.

They're not bringing iOS to the Mac, they're bringing the Mac to iOS devices. They're going the OPPOSITE way in terms of functionality.

How's that?

Of all the theories, this is the one I agree with the most. There's a lot of people posting who think that's hogwash but my response is the following;

?First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.?
  • Reply 22 of 94
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Hmm. I wonder when my .mac email address will be a relic of history.

'What's your email address?'

'[email protected]'

'What's mac?

Surely you're being overly dramatic in an attempt to be funny. Just because Apple calls them Macs doesn't mean people have no idea what a Macintosh is. Just because Apple is now calling the operating system that runs on a Mac "OS X" doesn't mean people will forget the computer it runs on is a Mac... especially when the computer is called a MAC. Sheesh.

Mac Mini.

iMac.

Mac Pro.

Macbook.

...the name isn't going away.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, instead of my usual mockery of the fake implications of something like this, I'm going to pose a hypothetical.

Yeah, they're removing Mac from the name. Because the OS doesn't just apply to Macs anymore.

They're not bringing iOS to the Mac, they're bringing the Mac to iOS devices. They're going the OPPOSITE way in terms of functionality.

How's that?

An interesting concept...
    1. Create iPads in 11" and 13" sizes along with the stanard 10"

2. Make keyboard, mouse, track-pad and pen input first class citizens next to touch

3. Add an "OSX" app to the springboard that launches like any other iOS app

4. Allow the iPad to dock with a MacBook Air like base. That way most of the time it works like an iPad, until you dock it and launch "OSX" app at which time it works like a MacBook Air.

5. Add a few more "multitasking" enhancements to iOS like side-by-side apps, a better app switcher and a way for apps to opt-in to share information with each other.

That's Windows 8. From the OSX Mountain Lion announcements it sounds like Apple don't want to do that.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    We wanted to drop Mac from OS X when it was during the Rhapsody build days.

It's finally done.

Sharing of ideas between both platforms will evolve and cross-influence each OS, but they will never merge.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Maybe it's so corporate IT folks will stop referring to MACs (man, that's annoying).

I think it some combination of "now that the Apple TV is going to run it and IT'S not a Mac, we should call it something else" and "no one really says 'Mac OS ten' anyway and 'OS X' makes more sense than just 'Mac OS.'"

"Macs run OS 10, PC run Windows." Makes sense.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Well, you don't have to hit it over the head with such an obvious hint!

They dropped "phone" from iOS when the iPad was released. Clearly, they are releasing a TV running OS X and are morphing the name now.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

They dropped "phone" from iOS when the iPad was released. Clearly, they are releasing a TV running OS X and are morphing the name now.

That makes no sense. The AppleTV released in 2007 was pretty much an unaltered version of Tiger except for FrontRow base being adopted as the UI, codenamed BackRow. Even now the AppleTV runs iOS with UI because it's ARM-based and will continue to be so, I forget the codename, but they don't call it iOS. It's a home theater appliance that keeps the same HW for years so there is little need to mention the OS at all though I'm sure internally they have a name for it.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I agree. By removing 'mac' it opens up what it can be run on. Eg: a tv. Just like ios moved from a phone to a ipad and touch.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perfect response, Slurpy.

I know. Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Regardless of what they call it, I'm pleasantly surprised by this announcement of the release of Mountain Lion.

I've been getting a bit bored with Lion's wallpaper and Mountain Lion's new background will address this issue nicely.

Mac OS X?

OS X?

I don't care.

I'm only in it for the wallpapers.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Meaning that a new line of systems running on ARM and completely different from the usual Mac line-up are coming. These are the transition systems that will take us to a one OS ecosystem. Eventually OSX and iOS will merge.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    They pretty much screwed themselves when they named it OS X with code names of large cats in the first place. Now that they have painted themselves into a corner with the naming conventions, they are squirming around trying to find a way to spin it.

They will likely just add an "S" to end of the name and hope no one notices.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberoid View Post

Wishful thinking. It goes against market logic, which calls the shots at Apple now that its shareholders far more than its engineers or customers are its primary focus. I wonder on which side Steve Jobs would be found, were he still with us. But it no longer matters.

Yes. Apple is going to reward its shareholders by ignoring its customers, because that's such a shrewd business strategy. Apple's recent run-up in share price has nothing to do with selling a millions and millions of devices, and selling millions and millions of devices has nothing to do with designing hardware and software that people like. And certainly Mountain Lion was cooked up in the last few months or so, probably started the day Steve passed away. "At last!" cried Tim Cook, "I don't have Steve looking over my shoulder, we can commence making horrible choices that favor only shareholders and alienate our users!"

I swear, do people even read the stupid shit they write, once they decide to get their Apple hate on? It's like Apple bashing is a form of brain damage.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I like it. OS X sounds kind of ultimate and professional, which is what a computer is nowadays, a device for professionals and content creators. iOS sounds kind of personal, like an OS for an individual in their personal life. Which is what phones and tablets are.

Anyway none of the hardware or software in the current iMac is the same as the 1984 Mac, it is all based on Steve's NeXT OS + about 10 years of evolution since then.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

I agree. By removing 'mac' it opens up what it can be run on. Eg: a tv. Just like ios moved from a phone to a ipad and touch.

( Apple-certifiedTV | (AppleTV + HDMI-TV) ) + BT keyBd = OSX computer
  • Reply 36 of 94
    I wonder why Apple doesn't buy osx.com now since its for sale:

http://www.namingrights.com/three-le...mains/osx-com/
  • Reply 37 of 94
    By the way, why doesn't Apple remove the space? We have iOS, so the equivalent would be OSX (without the space between S and X).
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They pretty much screwed themselves when they named it OS X with code names of large cats in the first place. Now that they have painted themselves into a corner with the naming conventions, they are squirming around trying to find a way to spin it.

They will likely just add an "S" to end of the name and hope no one notices.

Hey, if they make an OS X Puffin I will buy the hell out of it.

• Reply 39 of 94
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Don't see why this is significant. I never knew System 7 as Macintosh System 7, so why is everyone getting so upset that OSX is no longer Mac OSX?

What other commercial systems other than Macintosh run OSX?

Because people are morons.

I see two potential explanations for this:

1. Simplification

2. They intend to run OSX on machines not called "mac" (for example, as a VM on a server)

The first explanation seems most likely
  • Reply 40 of 94
    P.S. If someone will PS an OS X Puffin image like the lion one below I will totally mail you two dollars.