Apple begins counting down to 25 billion App Store downloads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nope. the gift cards that work in the iTunes 'verse only work in it, not on the actual Apple stores.

As for the whole 'this sucks'. Maybe for you. But for some 20 something year old that buys all his music off iTunes, buys tons of apps etc, this would be free stuff for a good chunk of time and he might actually think it rocks.

And consider that there's no law mandating that Apple do anything. So perhaps if their choice of gifts isn't good enough for you then they should just do nothing.

Of course it might not suck for somebody else. I'm just expressing my own personal opinions here.

And to be honest, 10k is kind of crummy for a 25 billion milestone. It should be 100k or even more. And again, that's just my opinion.

And yeah, of course there is no law mandating that Apple or anybody else holds any contests or giveaways. But if they're first going to have one (which they are and that was their choice), then they should do it properly. If I won, I would not refuse the prize of course and I would be glad to have won, but on the other hand, 10k is nothing, and I would also be kind of disappointed for winning 10k, considering that it is a 25 billion milestone!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I bet there will be mention of this at the iPad 3 unveiling. "Just a few weeks ago, we had our 25 BILLIONTH App Store download. <show keynote slide saying "25 billion"> A user won a $10k App Store gift card as a result. Let's put this in perspective. A year ago we had 10 billion downloads and since then ....<show fancy app store download growth chart>"

...and the chart used to display those figures will be in a dark, mahogany wood.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why does Apple say that the person who downloads the 25 billionth app "COULD" win the $10,000 prize? That means they might not give out the prize. Why the uncertainly clause?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why does Apple say that the person who downloads the 25 billionth app "COULD" win the $10,000 prize? That means they might not give out the prize. Why the uncertainly clause?

Because somebody could also enter by submitting some entry form.

So the winner might not be somebody who even downloads any app. It could be the person who enters using the alternate method.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

I'm assuming because you don't actually need to download an app to win. It's mandatory that every contest have a way to enter without purchasing anything.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'm assuming because you don't actually need to download an app to win. It's mandatory that every contest have a way to enter without purchasing anything.

Somebody can always download a free app. That doesn't cost anything.

With that entry form which anybody can use to enter, including bums and non-Apple users, I wouldn't be surprised if the winner is some Apple hating Fandroid.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I did a little research and apparently the FCC considers it a "lottery" if everyone is required to buy something for a chance to win. To get around the lottery designation, contests offer free submissions.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Somebody can always download a free app. That doesn't cost anything.

With that entry form which anybody can use to enter, including bums and non-Apple users, I wouldn't be surprised if the winner is some Apple hating Fandroid.

God forbid should they decided with their hatred mind to blend that gift cards (or the printed equivalent) in the blender, I'll hunt them down and feed their testes to the closest animal I could find.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    25 Billion?

That's insane!

I remember when it was only a billion.

Apple have a river of money flowing into their coffers.

Irrelevant, really.

I've heard it ain't how many apps you got.

It's how big your phone is...

• Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

I did a little research and apparently the FCC considers it a "lottery" if everyone is required to buy something for a chance to win. To get around the lottery designation, contests offer free submissions.

Pretty much everywhere nowadays. I know the UK have the same law. Only authorised promoter can offer or do lottery and there are few. Competitions need to have non-purchasing method or some kind of fill-in complete-the-sentence text so it is fair.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

25 Billion?

That's insane!

It's how big your phone is...

[IMG]http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content...iPhoneNote.png[/IMG]

Like the comic
  • Reply 32 of 37
    If you use the iTunes buy gift cards won't that take it from your account balance first? I bet I could find people to send me $$ for printed or emailed gift certificates. Say $.80 on the $1.00?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I'd say it's counting up, not down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR

25 Billion? That's insane!

It doesn't seem right somehow. There are only 250 million iOS device owners so that would mean that the average app downloads per user would be 100 apps. This is equivalent to an app every 2 weeks for every user since the App Store launched.

Even counting some repeat downloads, that seems like a lot. Some users must be going mental, downloading apps all the time.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I bet there will be mention of this at the iPad 3 unveiling. "Just a few weeks ago, we had our 25 BILLIONTH App Store download. <show keynote slide saying "25 billion">

Don't forget the transition animation, where the 25 Billion drops from the top, making a thud and a cloud of dust.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    I jus do not like there policy of that $10000 for one user

why so ?

instad you can just sell a app for free for one day??
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

I jus do not like there policy of that $10000 for one user

why so ?

instad you can just sell a app for free for one day??

I agree, App Store content is pretty cheap that $10k for a single user seems excessive. They could at least do a top 10: $5,000, $3,000, $1,000, $500, $250, $50 x 5.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    The App Store should hit the mark in the next 4-5 hours. The counter is just for show of course, it's not an accurate representation of the sales. They actually set it back a couple of times so there's a chance they could do this again but it should cross the mark today.