Apple settles class-action suit over iPhone 4 antenna, offers US customers $15 or Bumper

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Did Cook admit fault or did he just settle? Do you know even that much.

You read the same article I did, or so I assume.

The summary notice is to be posted in the near future at MacWorld and in USA Today print versions.

EDIT: You raise a valid point. It's absolutely possible that Apple could say they're not admitting fault, but in case there are some users that really have experienced the problem they have $15 (there's an option for cash instead of a bumper) for each of the 25 million buyers in the settlement group. Perhaps the published settlement notice will clarify the claim.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You read the same article I did, or so I assume.

The summary notice is to be posted in the near future at MacWorld and in USA Today print versions.

EDIT: You raise a valid point. It's absolutely possible that Apple could say they're not admitting fault, but in case there are some users that really have experienced the problem they have $15 (there's an option for cash instead of a bumper) for each of the 25 million buyers in the settlement group. Perhaps the published settlement notice will clarify the claim.

Never mind, I didn't see the edit.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Didn't see the edit.

You were posting while I was editing Island Hermit. See my previous post. Yes, you have a legitimate point.

EDIT: See, I really can admit I could be wrong, or at least premature in judging.
  • Reply 64 of 97

It would be nice if Apple designated a few charities to which individual settlements could be donated -- and administer the whole thing through the iTunes store -- kind of a gift-card in reverse.

Likely, there are many who bought the iPhone 4, didn't have a problem or don't need/want a settlement... ...but would like to see the money aggregated and put to good use.

• Reply 65 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It would be nice if Apple designated a few charities to which individual settlements could be donated -- and administer the whole thing through the iTunes store -- kind of a gift-card in reverse.

Likely, there are many who bought the iPhone 4, didn't have a problem or don't need/want a settlement... ...but would like to see the money aggregated and put to good use.

No one is stopping you from donating $15 to charity.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No one is stopping you from donating $15 to charity.

I realize that!

But I would be more likely to take the refund and dedicate it to a charity...

I will be less likely to go through the hassle of driving to the bank or ATM location to deposit a $15 check...
  • Reply 67 of 97
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

It's really a moot point since Apple agreed they were misrepresenting some of the facts (if it was evil Google it would be called lying) when they settled. The quote is in post 42.

At no point did Apple actually admit fault.

Your 'misrepresentation' quote came from the side of the class-action lawsuit, not from Apple itself.

Are you able to to provide any material from Apple itself admitting fault? (rather than a quote from TechBlock, who was quoting Cnet, who was quoting that a settlement had been reached).
  • Reply 68 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Your 'misrepresentation' quote came from the side of the class-action lawsuit, not from Apple itself.

Are you able to to provide any material from Apple itself admitting fault? (rather than a quote from TechBlock, who was quoting Cnet, who was quoting that a settlement had been reached).

Oh, geesh, at least read a few posts on the page before repeating a question that's already been asked and answered.

In case you need them pointed out, see post 60, 62, 63 and 64.
  • Reply 69 of 97
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They had the same antenna, but since the problem doesn't actually exist and no (that I've ever seen) Verizon users ever complained of having the problem, (and no Sprint users have ever complained) I can't imagine Apple accepting claims from them.

2 things:

Actually, the problem does exist. Its obviously not as bad as it was made out to be by the media, but tests have shown that the iphone4 does suffer higher than average signal loss:

Quote:

It's difficult to be exact about the data, since signal is very sensitive to direction, ambient conditions, and cell breathing. To generate these numbers, I measured at least 6 times and took the average. The results are pretty self explanatory. Inside a case, the iPhone 4 performs slightly better than the Nexus One. However, attenuation gets measurably worse depending how you hold the phone. Squeezing it really tightly, you can drop as much as 24 dB. Holding it naturally, I measured an average drop of 20 dB.

and no, they don't have the same antenna. The Verizon iphone4 implemented antenna diversity, which definitely helped with the issue.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Quote:

Oh, geesh, at least read a few posts on the page before repeating a question that's already been asked and answered.

In case you need them pointed out, see post 60, 62, 63 and 64.

Oh, I read the posts.

But, considering your history of generally anti-Apple posts, and your willingness to put your 'opinion' out there so frequently, I see no harm in making the point multiple times.

What's the matter?

Trolling getting a bit frustrating for you?
  • Reply 71 of 97
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple accepted responsibility,but didn't admit fault. Those are completely different things even though they can often go hand in hand.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:

Oh, I read the posts.

But, considering your history of generally anti-Apple posts, and your willingness to put your 'opinion' out there so frequently, I see no harm in making the point multiple times

I suppose that will do as a cover for failing to read.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple accepted responsibility,but didn't admit fault. Those are completely different things even though they can often go hand in hand.

I utterly agree.

Quite frankly, I believe the way that Apple handled an issue that I personally believe was blown way out of proportion, was superb.

Quote:

I suppose that will do as a cover for failing to read.

Not true.

Like yourself, I also have the ability to fully admit when I am wrong.

However, let's face it though. You're not exactly filled with love for Apple products, and have spent many, many hours trying to tear them down.

That is where you and I are different. I would prefer to devote energy to the things that I appreciate, and I have utter contempt for those who do the reverse.

You will hear from me frequently whenever you post something that I believe to be incorrect, regardless of your later admissions. This is a forum, not a courtroom, and admission of guilt doesn't exempt you from ridicule.

If you don't like it, don't post.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:

You will hear from me frequently whenever you post something that I believe to be incorrect, regardless of your later admissions. This is a forum, not a courtroom, and admission of guilt doesn't exempt you from ridicule.

If you don't like it, don't post.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    Quote:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Be sure that you do.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    [Yes, I know this is kind of my AA 12-steps thing, but anyways...]

During Antennagate, I made several incoherent and insulting posts. I apologise for this, I was caught up in the insanity of "Antennagate".

I gave it time, waited a few months for it to be released in Malaysia, where I was at the time.

Indeed there was a drop in signal, but only at extremely low signal areas... Which was compensated for by the better reception.

So I got my free case, shipped out of Singapore, because not surprisingly Malaysian telcos and Apple Malaysia were not honouring the free bumper deal. However using the free bumper Apple app you could enter your serial, etc. into the Singapore location and Apple South Asia send it to your Singapore address (in this case, my uncle's place in Singapore).

So, I got my free case, enjoyed it, and it went on to be the best iPhone I've ever used. Then I got the iPhone 4S when first launched in October last year here in Australia, and I've been happily using it without a screen protector and without a case. Brilliant, beautiful, just nice.

To be honest, I'd like it the screen to be a little bigger, because of the apps I use and in general. However, the Samsung Galaxy S2 size is waaay too big.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Can people in here just admit that the iPhone 4 has problems and be done with it?

There are numerous scientific evidence to suggest it does have problems.

Why cant you people just man up and admit it? Stop acting like little girls. Jeez.

Swallow your blown up egos once in a while.

This is what an RF engineer said direct quote:

Quote:

I'm an rf engineer

1) nobody but an idiot or apple would put the antenna where your hand can touch the metal. independent testing showed serious loss of signal strength with some grips. if you've ever had rabbit ears you know how touching them changes reception.

2) an anechoic chamber is useless for testing rf reception. it's for sound analysis. all the equipment apple showed wowed the press but had no value for antenna testing.

Apple fixed the antenna defect with the 4s.

That is clear proof that the 4 had problems or they would not have modified it.

Like the saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Apple fixed it.

What does that say about the 4?

That its broke.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is like saying "I misplaced it" when it was really "I lost it". At the end of the day, the object is not present. Euphemism at its best.

In Apple's case, what they've ultimately showed is that they acknowledge the problem, which indirectly means they admit fault.

No one would fix something if they didnt see a problem. You dont spend money to fix something that is working properly.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Can people in here just admit that the iPhone 4 has problems and be done with it?

No. Because it didn't happen. There was no overarching antenna issue.

Quote:

Apple fixed the antenna defect with the 4s.

You CANNOT say that the existence of a new antenna design for the purpose of incorporating two more carriers is 'fixing it'.

Quote:

That is clear proof that the 4 had problems or they would not have modified it.

This statement has absolutely no proof behind it.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You CANNOT say that the existence of a new antenna design for the purpose of incorporating two more carriers is 'fixing it'.

On this point I absolutely agree with you TS. I posted several reasons antenna design might change a few posts back.