'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

?same situation everyone going Quad core can't picture iPhone 5 with Dual core honestly?

iPhone 6, and yes, I can easily, EASILY see it having just a dual-core chip.

Quote:

?stop and think iPhone 5 comes out late in the year by then everyone will be Quad core for sure.

Which, again, DOES NOT MATTER to Apple because specs DO NOT MATTER at all.

Quote:

All the will do is fall a year behind everyone else if they go by those standards

If your only standard is "to have the (subjectively) 'best' specs", then yes.

Since Apple couldn't care less about that and doesn't sell to customers who care about it, they'll continue to sell the top three devices per unit, continue to have 75% of the mobile profit, continue to have the best customer satisfaction, and continue to have the greatest turnaround for upgrades within the same manufacturer's line of devices.
  • Reply 82 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Actually they won't. For this year's holiday season dual-core Cortex-A15 smartphones will be the best option fpr CPU performance.

Lets say your right, again think iPhone 5 why because we know that whatever Ipad 3 gets Iphone 5 will get, so what will the next iPhone be call???????? iPhone4ss if they go with an improve A5 chip what other choice of name they have to call it? 4s already taken

for me in order to call it iphone5 they need Quad-core new design
  • Reply 83 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

Lets say your right, again think iPhone 5 why because we know that whatever Ipad 3 gets Iphone 5 will get, so what will the next iPhone be call???????? iPhone4ss if they go with an improve A5 chip what other choice of name they have to call it? 4s already taken

for me in order to call it iphone5 they need Quad-core new design

That makes no sense on so many levels but let's start small: What makes you think the name of the device is tied to the number of the cores in the CPU?
  • Reply 84 of 146
    A5X for the iPad 2X ... Get it? iPhone 4S, iPad 2X

Easy peasy marketing... Twice the graphics, twice the power, twice the battery life, twice as magical.

iPad 2X. I had a sudden revelation that this won't be called the iPad 3.

Particularly with the similar form factor.

Knowing Apple, they're saving the numbers for major changes, tick-tock strategy, etc.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    At the end of the day it comes down to cost/performance. Those displays will not be cheap. It will be about the display this year. The extra power of the GPU and CPU just doing enough to drive the display. With 1GB of ram, possibly 32GB of storage as standard all within the current price structure. No other manufacturer will get close without making a loss. Apple can manufacture in volume due to market share
  • Reply 86 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

At the end of the day it comes down to cost/performance. Those displays will not be cheap. It will be about the display this year. The extra power of the GPU and CPU just doing enough to drive the display. With 1GB of ram, possibly 32GB of storage as standard all within the current price structure. No other manufacturer will get close without making a loss. Apple can manufacture in volume due to market share

Agreed... Except for the display price. What do you think of the parts listing for the Retina display that shows it's just over $100? I don't think it's as expensive as we would have expected, since Apple has probably spent a good two years at least developing the technique and the volume that they are going to buy is massive ~ at least five million panels a month from March 2012.
  • Reply 87 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Agreed... Except for the display price. What do you think of the parts listing for the Retina display that shows it's just over $100? I don't think it's as expensive as we would have expected, since Apple has probably spent a good two years at least developing the technique and the volume that they are going to buy is massive ~ at least five million panels a month from March 2012.

Apple also has the same reduction of cost due to volume without all the R&D investments for the current display and it's also selling at 5 million units per quarter. I see no way that these two displays cost the same today.
  • Reply 88 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I couldn't give a rat's ass about how many cores there are. What matters is how much of an improvement the new chip will represent compared to the previous chip. As long as it shows an impressive gain in power VS the previous chip, then all is fine. The iPad 2 is pretty damn smooth, and I'm sure that the iPad 3 will be plenty fine too.

If it is a dual core chip, then obviously Apple has their reasons. They're not morons. Maybe a higher clocked dual core chip is preferable to a lower clocked quad core? What matters is how responsive the system is and how long certain tasks take to complete.

I suggest that anybody who must have a quad core go out and buy some kind of Android tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if a one core iPad will still be smoother and more responsive than a quad core Android tablet. It wouldn't even matter if somebody released an Octo Core Android tablet, it would simply suck eight times as much.

Maybe there won't be a quad core until the next iPad. With all of the new features that are rumored to appear, something's gotta give! Or maybe not, but if Apple does manage to deliver on every single rumored feature, then the iPad 3 is going to be insane.
  • Reply 89 of 146
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Didn't the Wall Street Journal already report that the new iPad would be sporting 4G LTE capability when it's released? Generally, the WSJ doesn't post rumors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

You do realize that lack of any announcement from Apple makes that a rumor. Their general behavior doesn't matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPhone 6, and yes, I can easily, EASILY see it having just a dual-core chip.

It wouldn't surprise me. Apple's top priority isn't usually max cpu power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it is a dual core chip, then obviously Apple has their reasons. They're not morons. Maybe a higher clocked dual core chip is preferable to a lower clocked quad core? What matters is how responsive the system is and how long certain tasks take to complete.

I don't know how apps are set up in that regard, so I'm not going to comment regarding potential to take advantage of further cores. If they go with a dual core, it's most likely related to battery life. Apple is extremely conscious of battery life across product lines, and they have held back speed for battery life at times before. It's just a matter of design prioritization. It should be smooth either way. It's just that faster components often open up different possibilities. People ran graphics software on the G3, and it ran fine at the time assuming a well optimized setup. More power since then has allowed for more advanced features. In Apple's case the iphone apps are just for the iphone. The latest iphone won't be slower running them than another theoretical phone running IOS.
  • Reply 90 of 146
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Dual core or quad core - either will be an upgrade to my single-core iPad 1.

I'm just amazed a chip so small (look at the size of the bubble wrap) can have 2 cpu cores *and* support 3d graphics at 2048x1536, all without a fan.
  • Reply 91 of 146
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suddenly newton View Post

at least they didn't call it the a5s

lol ...
  • Reply 92 of 146
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So, the iPad 2X (for 2x linear increase in resolution) will have a pentacore chip.

Quote:

A5X for the iPad 2X ... Get it? iPhone 4S, iPad 2X

Easy peasy marketing... Twice the graphics, twice the power, twice the battery life, twice as magical.

iPad 2X. I had a sudden revelation that this won't be called the iPad 3.

Particularly with the similar form factor.

Knowing Apple, they're saving the numbers for major changes, tick-tock strategy, etc.

Cool, as long as you don't come around saying that I stole your idea
  • Reply 93 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Could very well be. Or it could be a base A5 with more RAM. Another possibility is an A5 engineered for a low cost iPad. That is we could see an A6 in the high resolution iPads at a higher cost with the A5X rev targeting an entry level iPad.

I think it's pretty obvious the iPad 3 will have a souped-up A5 CPU with a better graphics chip, more memory, higher clockspeed, but still dual-core. I don't know why people expect a quad-core A6 this soon already. I expect the A6 to have Cortex-A15 cores (IMO it would be a huge disappointment if it hasn't), and the simple fact is that right now, no-one is making those in volume yet, the first devices with A15 cores are not expected before the second half of 2012.

To think that the iPad 3 will have a quad-core A6 CPU based on the Cortex-A15 architecture is simply wishful thinking. There might be a really slim chance the iPad 3 will have a quad-core A5, but I wouldn't bet on it. It would basically be a completely different chip compared to the current A5, and I can't imagine Apple would want to waste a lot of engineering effort on such a chip if it knows the A6 will also be available this year. Personally I don't mind if it's dual-core, right now, quad-core is nothing but marketing hype and buzz. A fast dual-core CPU will handily beat a quad-core at lower clock speed in almost any typical tablet task.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There are many possibilities here. I would be surprised though if Apple upgrade the GPU enough to drive a retina display and kept the processor name the same.

The current A5 dual-core GPU is also available as a quad-core GPU (the PS Vita has it, for example), so I think it's not unlikely this A5X has it.

As I've said many times before here, you don't actually need that much additional GPU power to drive the retina display, at least not to render the iOS user interface. Low poly count, low fillrate, low overdraw, lots of big surfaces and stuff that can be cached such as fonts (hence relatively low bandwidth required). I'd estimate even the A4 GPU would be able to handle it.

For games, it's a completely different story, but I don't think any will run in retina resolution at all. Even desktop-class GPU's struggle with resolutions like what the iPad 3 will likely have. I expect iPad 3 games to always run in pixel doubling mode. I don't think there are any mobile GPU's that could pull off 30 or even 60 fps in-game at 2048x1536 right now.
  • Reply 94 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Cool, as long as you don't come around saying that I stole your idea

LOL I swear I didn't see your post before I posted mine. I guess great minds ~do~ think alike!
  • Reply 95 of 146
    The serial numbers on these memory chips are quite interesting by the way. Normally Hynix uses a numbering scheme where you can deduce the size of a memory chip from the part number, by looking at the leading number before the 'G' character. In hexadecimal, it gives you the number of gigabits on the chip, ie: a 1G = 1 Gigabit, AG = 10 Gigabit, etc.

These chips have a '0' in front of the G, which suggests someone does not want us to know the size of the memory on this board. I think this means that it's extremely likely that this a development or pre-production board, which might not be representative of the final iPad 3 part at all.
  • Reply 96 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The serial numbers on these memory chips are quite interesting by the way. Normally Hynix uses a numbering scheme where you can deduce the size of a memory chip from the part number, by looking at the leading number before the 'G' character. In hexadecimal, it gives you the number of gigabits on the chip, ie: a 1G = 1 Gigabit, AG = 10 Gigabit, etc.

These chips have a '0' in front of the G, which suggests someone does not want us to know the size of the memory on this board. I think this means that it's extremely likely that this a development or pre-production board, which might not be representative of the final iPad 3 part at all.

Agreed.
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The way I see it this particular nomenclature means it's not quad core:

: (

You can always get an ASUS Transformer Prime.

Sure it is laggy balls, but at least it is quad core.

The "paper specs mean everything" disease of android needs to stay there.

As we've seen many times over "lower spec'ed" Windows Phones and Apple devices are far more satisfying to use than fully spec'ed out android devices.

Do what you want, though.
  • Reply 98 of 146
    Here's my tests on how iPad 3 is going to do 3D gaming at 2048x1536. Indulge me this one cross-post.

1024x768:

1080p HD, with virtually no drop in frame rates:

Read more and watch the 1920x1080p videos at:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=2050899

• Reply 99 of 146
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.

The emergent processes, those under 32nm, have resulted in Cortex A9 cores running at over 2GHz. This is one way for Apple to double performance of the CPUs, while providing for lots of real estate for GPU, memory, caches and other functional units.

As to iOS 7 you have real concerns. However RAM will have a bigger impact on future OS performance than cores.
  • Reply 100 of 146
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

... I guess great minds ~do~ think alike!

Either that, or some ideas are so obvious that many come across them soon enough