Suppliers gearing up for Apple's launch of new MacBook Air models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is almost science fiction isn't it? Thank you for the information. Our MBPs (wife and I) are only sixth months and a year old so by the next refresh for us, usually three or four years, I will no doubt be able to buy a MBAs with lots of storage

I'm planning on upgrading my MBP later in 2012. Bought my current MBP late 2006. It's my main computer, I'm on it about 6 hours a day, every day. What a machine!!!!

I've been using Mac since the first one, the 128K model. In 28 years of Macs, I have never had one die, they just get too dated to continue to be usable for the latest software. Meanwhile my MS PC friends go through one "better priced" computer after another, and usually loose all their data with each crash and burn.

Over the last six years I've owned the top of the line aluminum-cased laptop instead of a series of cheap pieces of plastoid-crap. My only regret is not putting my money in APPL stock instead of their products.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'll be buying soon. My MBP is a late 2006 model with 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo but limited to 3 GB of RAM. That's by far the longest I've ever used a computer, but money has been tight. Hopefully, things will loosen up this spring or summer and I'll be in the market. I love the MBA, but I think the screen size is a bit too small and I really don't have a problem with the bulk (my 17" MBP is only a minor inconvenience when I travel). If they make a 15 or 17" MBA, that's what I'll get. If not, probably an MBP.

I converted to Apple products a year ago and couldn't be happier. When looking at a laptop, I loved the idea of MBA but when I called Apple to help with the decision, they said I wouldn't be happy with the MBA. I told them I used Photoshop and Dreamweaver regularly and edited video only very occasionally and they said the screen size and processor power might not be enough, so I bought a MBP. It looks like the maybe imminent MBA 15 will have a larger SSD and stronger processor. So if that's the case, I'll definitely get one.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It?s especially not a problem, since you need to carry an Ethernet cable anyway (if you go places with no WiFi). So, just click the adapter onto the cable you?re already carrying, and it?s really not one more part to keep track of.

An ethernet connection is still useful in Europe. In all hotels I was until last year the wireless connection was restricted to the lobby. In the rooms there was only cabled connection. I cannot of course tell if it was a coincidence or not.

On the other hand, what you say is the solution I have in mind when I buy a MBA for travel. It is that simple.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

If you have a MBA and often find you need an ethernet port, I can understand your criticism.

If you don't yet have a MBA and think you will often need one, you may find you don't. When I got my MBA, I bought the USB-ethernet adapter at the same time. When the adapter remained in the package for a few months, I got rid of it. I like the current arrangement that keeps the MBA nice and light and small and elegant. The USB-ethernet adapter ought to be fine for people who need to get wired in, I suspect the majority of owners never need to.

I do have a 13" and the USB dongle. The surprise killer for me is hotels. I end up needing one dongle for the office and another one in my travel kit, and potentially a third one for a remote office. I have to do VPN to comply with security policy even in the office if I use wifi, which slows me down to 10Mbit.

It would be nice to have gigabit access for large files on the office network, or accessing the NAS at home.

I wouldn't want the full-size port, but if they could come up with a great solution to mate with the mag-safe connector I would jump at a new one. Otherwise.... I'll wait another generation.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If you are trying to compare an Ethernet port to a SCSI port you are very mis informed. There are a number of good reasons to prefer or require an Ethernet port even today. Ethernet is not a dead technology by any means, in fact it seems to be growing in popularity and diversity of uses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I was SO wanting a SCSI port in the next MBA...

j/k