Microsoft Office for iPad said to arrive soon, Microsoft calls claims 'inaccurate'

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone from Adobe on the stage at the iPad³ rollout -- though I'd prefer to see someone from Pixelmator.
  • Reply 122 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Anyway. Do you think MS compiled MS Office for arm architecture?

Why not? I doubt they wrote it in x86 assembly.
  • Reply 123 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath for this crap. MS will no doubt cripple the hell out of it.

Anyway. Do you think MS compiled MS Office for arm architecture?

It would be hilarious if MS didn't actually make iOS Office apps at all, and "bringing Office to iOS" just meant a portal to HTML 5 web apps in their own cloud.

That way they could bring Office to iOS *without* knee-capping their own OS's and mobile efforts and work on one unified product for all.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be hilarious if MS didn't actually make iOS Office apps at all, and "bringing Office to iOS" just meant a portal to HTML 5 web apps in their own cloud.

That way they could bring Office to iOS *without* knee-capping their own OS's and mobile efforts and work on one unified product for all.

Yes, but that wouldn't [really] get them where they want to go.

IMO, MS needs Office on tablets in 2012!
  • Reply 125 of 129
    Well if they real ease office I'm getting it day one for sure. A skydive app will be awesome to. I use and love the iPad bing app and I'm not ashame to say it. LOL!!!
  • Reply 126 of 129
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    We may finally see what Office should truly be. A low cost, stripped down tool that is easy to use and lacks all the bloat that it now has. A radically stripped down version would still do what 99% of users truly need from these products. The reality is however that MSFT has become irrelevant in the mobile space, even if not in the office. There are now far better computing choices in the handheld market.

Personally, I much prefer to work in Pages, Numbers and Keynote but have Office on my desktop for those times when I absolutely have to have MSFT crapware to work with someone else's docs.
  • Reply 127 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

We may finally see what Office should truly be. A low cost, stripped down tool that is easy to use and lacks all the bloat that it now has. A radically stripped down version would still do what 99% of users truly need from these products. The reality is however that MSFT has become irrelevant in the mobile space, even if not in the office. There are now far better computing choices in the handheld market.

Personally, I much prefer to work in Pages, Numbers and Keynote but have Office on my desktop for those times when I absolutely have to have MSFT crapware to work with someone else's docs.

I can remember way back when the world was new and Word, MultiPlan and Excel arrived on the scene.

Do da name "Kensh Rutha" strike a familiar note...

Seriously, there is much truth to what you say...

Every now and again, we get an opportunity (reason) to shed bloat, legacy baggage and reinvent ourselves -- MS should take advantage of this chance of a lifetime!
  • Reply 128 of 129
    Really?

You're really excited that the wolrd's worse software will be on an iPad? Really?

Complete, utter and sheer delusion....
  • Reply 129 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unother View Post

That's a little febrile. MS makes $0 currently and risks ceding dominance in iOS to Apple.

Except that iPads will replace PC's, not complement them. So MS's cash cow will now be but a trickle if they compete price wise with iWork.

And I'm not ill, thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unother View Post

This move is undoubtedly in acquiescence to the many business users who require a hermetic solution to compatibility with Windows PC cohorts. It's vital and important and underscores Apple's current dominance in the tablet space...

55 million people are doing just fine without Office on their iPads. People are discovering it really isn't necessary:

...the slow, growing sense of the irrelevance of Microsoft...