Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new report offers a picture claimed to be the front glass panel for Apple's next iPad, and also claims the third-generation device will feature Siri voice control, a dual-core "A5X" processor, and a 1080p camera with image stabilization.

The details were scoured from a Chinese microblogging site and shared by Apple.pro on Tuesday ( Google Translate). Included with the details is a purported "iPad 3" 9.7-inch front glass panel showing a design largely unchanged from the current iPad 2, though the new part does feature a longer ribbon cable than its predecessor.

But the repot also includes alleged details about Apple's anticipated third-generation iPad, claiming that the A5X processor pictured recently on a leaked logic board is in fact a dual-core processor. It also said that the new, upgraded CPU will support Siri, bringing Apple's personal assistant software to its second device beyond the iPhone 4S.

The report also claims that the next iPad will sport a 1080p camera with image stabilization, something that is also available on the iPhone 4S. Other leaked rear panels claimed to be for the next iPad have shown space for a larger camera lens, in addition to slightly more tapered edges.

Tuesday's report also claims that the third-generation iPad will ship with iOS 5.1, and will arrive in the U.S. in mid-March, soon after its anticipated introduction on March 7. The next iPad is expected to become available in Japan, the U.K, France and Germany in April, with Hong Kong to follow soon after.

Finally, the site also reaffirms the mounting evidence that Apple's next iPad will include a high-resolution Retina Display. The screen is expected to double the resolution of the current 1,024-by-768-pixel iPad to 2,048-by-1,536 pixels.

Components and details of Apple's next iPad have flooded the Web in recent days, signaling that production of the device is likely well underway ahead of a rumored media event in early March. That's in line with last year's iPad 2 event, which was held the first week in March.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report offers a picture claimed to be the front glass panel for Apple's next iPad, and also claims the third-generation device will feature Siri voice control, a dual-core "A5X" processor, and a 1080p camera with image stabilization.

Let's hope it's A15 core based... see A15 dual core benchmarks combined with the current PowerVR
  • Reply 2 of 111
    A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

It's completely meaningless. Don't worry.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    This illustrates the vicious circle that is the rumor mill. Are these rumors from a separate origin that just happen to be the same as previous rumors, or is it an aggregation an expansion of said original rumors?

For instance:

Company A posts rumor "r"

Company B reads "r" and posts "r+1"

etc.

Company A reads rumor "r+16" and...
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Quote:

And once again, despite paper specs, the new Apple chip will run circles around it.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Simply curious. . .

Are iPads commonly used as cameras? Seems like it would be awkward to use a tablet that way.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Let's hope it's A15 core based... see A15 dual core benchmarks combined with the current PowerVR

Quote:

So one of you wants dual-core Cortex-A15 and the other doesn't want dual-core? I don't think I've read anything that suggests it will dual-core or that Cortex-A15 is ready.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Simply curious. . .

Are iPads commonly used as cameras? Seems like it would be awkward to use a tablet that way.

The only time I use my iPad camera is then I'm using it at home then one of my kids does something. I quickly take a video or picture. But then i always delete it after because the image quality is so poor. I'm spoiled by my 4S.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

I never did, except for testing out FaceTime. It's nice to turn the camera to show the rest of the room but you don't need an 8Mpx still/1080p video camera to do it. In all honesty I don't use my camera on my phone so I'm not who Apple has in mind with this component.

My only wish is that the camera app be redesigned to work better. It makes no sense to hold the iPad on the sides and then have the camera button auto-adjust to the bottom.. but not just the bottom but to the center just like the iPhone. It looks entirely awkward and poorly throughout.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And once again, despite paper specs, the new Apple chip will run circles around it.

That would be false if both are A9, which is probably the case.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    Quote:

I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first as well. But after really thinking about it I really don't care. I know Apple's new processor will rock. All I really care about is that the UI stays buttery smooth. And I'm sure Apple won't disappoint in that department.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    [QUOTE=Gatorguy;2052010]Simply curious. . .

Mount the iPad on a tri-pod and voila: a new age large format camera pod!
  • Reply 13 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That would be false if both are A9, which is probably the case.

Depends on the GPU. Apple is notorious for leveraging the power of the GPU. That's why the "on-paper" spec beast that was the Tegra 2 fell short.

Apple knows what it's doing and can afford the best tech. But "best" doesn't always translate to a spec sheet. It's what's best for the iOS experience.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So one of you wants dual-core Cortex-A15 and the other doesn't want dual-core? I don't think I've read anything that suggests it will dual-core or that Cortex-A15 is ready.

A15 is 'ready' from a fab standpoint and sampling as of the end of last year, but isn't expected in mass for products until the Fall or so, making an appearance in the iPad 3 very slim to none.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    How many rumored improvement will have to be missing for folks to decide that the new iPad is not worth buying?

If it were to have only a faster processor, and nothing else, IMO, it would sell like hotcakes.

It doesn't really benefit Apple, therefore, to slather it with expensive goodies, when a relatively inexpensive product will sell in record numbers.

iPad 2S. Somewhat better, same price.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

Even if they're not 'commonly' used, who cares? It has a camera built in, so why not at least improve it, especially since it will probably cost Apple pennies?

And if you want an example of the camera being used, here's one: My grandparents have a ton of trouble using cameras, as they find it difficult to squint to see the small screen. Since I got them an iPad, they use the video/camera all the time when their great grandkids and other members of the family go over to their place. They love how large the screen is and can use it easily. The only downside is that the pics often turn out grainy and blurry cause the camera is crap. This should see a large improvement in iPad3, and I would purchase it for them for this feature alone.

Is this a common scenario? Maybe not, but I'm sure a lot of others exist. There are many industries that have adopted iPad for work related tasks that also involve documentation. It may be easier using the same device, than a separate camera. Either way, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to lag significantly behind other tablets in this area, especially when as a company they respect photography and visual fidelity. Also, imagine how gorgeous images will turn out on the retina display. That is reason alone to have decent optics. WIll the iPad replace a pocket camera for most people? Of course not, but it can supplement it.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first as well. But after really thinking about it I really don't care. I know Apple's new processor will rock. All I really care about is that the UI stays buttery smooth. And I'm sure Apple won't disappoint in that department.

My point exactly. Nobody will care that the iPad COULD be MUCH better. All it needs is to be somewhat better and it will sell in record numbers. Just like the 4S.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    A full HD camera might not be such a good idea, when a 12min clip will take up about a quarter of a 16GB iPad's total storage space. \
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

As video cameras, not really. mainly it is used with FaceTime.

This is one of those times when Apple knows that folks will gripe about the specs and since they are putting it in the iPhone why the heck aren't they doing the same with the iPad. So it is something of a stunt to keep the spec crazed naysayers happy
  • Reply 20 of 111
    "The screen is expected to double the resolution of the current 1,024-by-768-pixel iPad to 2,047-by-1,536 pixels."

Cue the "It's Not Double!" class action suit over that one column of pixels.

Srsly - This is a typo, right? It should be 2,048 - there's no obscure LCD/LED construction technical detail that necessitates stripping out one column, right? I cut my teeth on Apple ][ / II/ GS graphics, so I remember when all bets were off for screen res logic.