Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Srsly - This is a typo, right? It should be 2,048 - there's no obscure LCD/LED construction technical detail that necessitates stripping out one column, right?

It's a typo. They've said 2048 in every other article about this.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Depends on the GPU. Apple is notorious for leveraging the power of the GPU. That's why the "on-paper" spec beast that was the Tegra 2 fell short.

Apple knows what it's doing and can afford the best tech. But "best" doesn't always translate to a spec sheet. It's what's best for the iOS experience.

I agree there's a difference between raw mathematical performance and experience nulling the technicalities sheet, and Apple does an amazing job of meshing the two which is certainly what matters. PowerVR Series 6 isn't out yet so you're still looking at some SGX54x combo in the A5X. Apple wouldn't be alone in not going to quad core, TI's OMAP 5 will be dual core first but based on A15. Point is, to say an improved A5 would run circles around Tegra 3 (which is ~3x as powerful as 2) is a pretty big stretch, even if none of it matters.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

A full HD camera might not be such a good idea, when a 12min clip will take up about a quarter of a 16GB iPad's total storage space. \

Depends on the compression. The following is for 60:1 compression which could represent a reasonable level based on the lens quality and cmos size.

Frame size K = ( [Pixel Width x Pixel Height x Bit Depth] / 8 ) / 1024

Where 8 represents an 8-bit byte, and 1024 equals the number of bytes per kilobytes.

( [1920 x 1080 x 24] / 8 ) / 1024 = 6075 KB / frame

6075 KB/frame x 30 frames/sec = 182250 KB/sec

182250 KB/sec / 60 compression ratio = 3037.5 KB/s compressed

3037.5 KB/sec compressed * 60 s / min * 1 MB / 1024 KB = 177.98 MB / min
  • Reply 24 of 111
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Even if they're not 'commonly' used, who cares? It has a camera built in, so why not at least improve it, especially since it will probably cost Apple pennies?

And if you want an example of the camera being used, here's one: My grandparents have a ton of trouble using cameras, as they find it difficult to squint to see the small screen. Since I got them an iPad, they use the video/camera all the time when their great grandkids and other members of the family go over to their place. They love how large the screen is and can use it easily. The only downside is that the pics often turn out grainy and blurry cause the camera is crap. This should see a large improvement in iPad3, and I would purchase it for them for this feature alone.

Is this a common scenario? Maybe not, but I'm sure a lot of others exist. There are many industries that have adopted iPad for work related tasks that also involve documentation. It may be easier using the same device, than a separate camera. Either way, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to lag significantly behind other tablets in this area, especially when as a company they respect photography and visual fidelity. Also, imagine how gorgeous images will turn out on the retina display. That is reason alone to have decent optics. WIll the iPad replace a pocket camera for most people? Of course not, but it can supplement it.

Slurpy, congratulations. I actually agree with this post 100%. (I can't believe I said that) .... Did anyone else feel that "shift in the universe".

If this is the new "post banned Slurpy" .... I like it !
  • Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Slurpy, congratulations. I actually agree with this post 100%. (I can't believe I said that) .... Did anyone else feel that "shift in the universe".

If this is the new "post banned Slurpy" .... I like it !

Slurpy is not Slapppy. I feel bad for Slurpy.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    We have seen a ton of leaked photos of the iPad 3. Why hasn't Apple requested they be taken down, like in the old days? Remember the iPhone 4 leak? Looks like things are leaking all over now. Maybe it is on purpose but everything was working great before so I'm not sure why they would change strategy. I seriously doubt if it is on purpose though. People would put off buying iPads if they knew a new one was just around the corner. I just find these leaks and lack of response perplexing.

I think it is okay that it is a dual core chip. From what I've read, the graphics processor will be much faster which will boast the overall performance. My guess is that it will feel like a quad core.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's completely meaningless. Don't worry.

So why not make it single core then?
  • Reply 28 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That would be false if both are A9, which is probably the case.

The truth doesn't matter around here if there's an Apple logo on it.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Simply curious. . .

Are iPads commonly used as cameras? Seems like it would be awkward to use a tablet that way.

I've never used mine but I have seen people using them as cameras at various local tourist spots. I guess some people like the big screen.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

We have seen a ton of leaked photos of the iPad 3. Why hasn't Apple requested they be taken down, like in the old days?

Because that proves they're real. That's the last thing Apple wants.

Quote:

Remember the iPhone 4 leak?

If that's "the old days" for you, you really don't know what the old days were. Elevators. Elevators EVERYWHERE.

Quote:

Looks like things are leaking all over now.

They always have. And simultaneously, they always haven't. We didn't hear squat about Mountain Lion.

Quote:

Maybe it is on purpose but everything was working great before so I'm not sure why they would change strategy.

How is inadvertently legitimizing leaked images of unreleased products 'working great'?

Quote:

People would put off buying iPads if they knew a new one was just around the corner.

People have ALWAYS done this. Since the beginning of Apple. Apple's secrecy exists because of the Osborne Effect.

Quote:

I just find these leaks and lack of response perplexing.

Why would you legitimize it? Why would you respond to it at all? That PROVES it's real. That PROVES there's something around the corner, and that makes every news outlet report on it, stifling sales even further than the rumor sites do.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So why not make it single core then?

If it increased performance per watt then they would just dual-core A15 will increase performance per watt over quad-core A9. Blindly thinking more cores always means better is simple innaccurate.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

Are iPads commonly used as cameras? Seems like it would be awkward to use a tablet that way.

There are a number of apps that use photos as inputs. I have one that allows you take a picture of part of room, staircase etc. and then mark in the dimensions. It is great for taking to home depot or other supplier/designer when you are looking for ideas or material.

I think the camera components are now so inexpensive that it isn't a big deal to include them in any case.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

Okay officer of the spec police. Why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom to explain to us lesser mortals why hardware specs are still important in this day and age.

Apple has consistently proven that it does more with "less" yet to you, it seems like a deal breaker.

What will those extra two extra cores on the iPad get you that iPad3's rumored dual-core possibly won't? I challenge you to step up and tell us.

This all goes back to fandroids back in the day when they touted the superiority of the Xoom's Dual-core/Tegra setup as far superior compared to the iPad2's rumored specs, only to be b!tchlsapped by the first-gen iPad in real-world testing.

So please, enlighten us, or troll elsewhere.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    But... but... it's THICKER! Making it thicker so they could stick in a larger battery??? What happened to the make-it-thin-at-any-cost Apple I once knew and loved???

(Uh, Apple, if you're listening, that's a joke. Given a choice of something being 1mm thinner, or using the extra space for a larger battery, I'll take the longer battery life every single time.)
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

It's really only appropriate to be "disappointed" with the processor if it turns out not to meet the needs of the product or the consumers. Your disappointment is entirely premature.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    1. Hires LCD

2. 1080P cameras

3. Improved faster processor

4. more ram

Same old price ?

The queue is starting now.

Seriously, with new retina screen and A5X while the rest of specs stay put is already sufficient reason for me to buy the new ipad.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Using an iPad as a camera is awkward at best.

Still, I'm sure some company will come up with a lens kit for it.

And to think the Sony NEX series cameras look funky.

An iPad with a "zoom" lens on it will look downright silly.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

I guess some do use the device as a camera, I confess to also doing it once!!

Saw a chap wandreing across a major intersection in Sydney last Christmas taking a video on a 2 as he walked across......with the lights.......he was having a ball!

But for me it remains a toy from that perspective, I am lucky enough to have several DSLR's, Nikon's as well as a Panasonic Lumix LX-5, so these continue my weapons for photography and video.

That said the camara is great for Skype.

Getting back to the 3, it sounds an exciting release......I can't wait.

My wife and I have 7 Apple devices between us!!

Ron Ocean Grove, Australia
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

A15 is 'ready' from a fab standpoint and sampling as of the end of last year, but isn't expected in mass for products until the Fall or so, making an appearance in the iPad 3 very slim to none.

I knew I was going to get called out for not qualifying my comment.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [QUOTE=Sandyf;2052023]
    Quote:

Simply curious. . .

Mount the iPad on a tri-pod and voila: a new age large format camera pod!

There is a reason for each and everyone of those movements on a large format camera. IPad can't realistically replace a large format camera.