Safari user sues Google over claimed privacy violation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interestingly Mountain Lion has links to upload videos to Vimeo... but not YouTube.

I quote John Gruber (rather John quoting an Apple rep):

Quote:

When asked why there was no YouTube support at the moment in the developer preview, Apple told Pocket-lint: ?We have Vimeo, and we don?t have YouTube.?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Apple's suing all the competitor pants off. they are acting like MS in 1980.

Apple is not suing Google - they never have. Read the OP - this is a civil suit involving a Safari user who is suing Google. Apple is not involved.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    Quote:

Who was MS suing in the 80s? One of the tech lawsuits of the 80s was Apple suing MS over the "look and feel" of Windows 2.0 but we know how that eventually ended.
  • Reply 63 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Some people don't waste their time with other people's home movies.

Youtube has become quite a bit more than home movies, but I digress. I don't believe anyone who uses a computer on a daily basis can refrain from clicking on a youtube link for 2 years.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Nope, have an iPhone 4s. What led me to the conclusion? A brain, and a healthy dose of rationality. Look into it.

Were you ready to burn Apple to the ground when they were collecting your location information and keeping a long history of it? Are you ready to burn every other website down that does the same thing, and not just single out Google as if they are uniquely doing something sneaky? All this rage here is usually so one sided and ridiculous, just because of the stupid Google/Apple competition. Do you want to log in to every website and have no shared credentials, like or +1 buttons, or easy bottons to post links to various social media. Do you.. oh never mind, I just give up.

/Flame suit on. Tin foil hat off.

I agree that there's been perhaps more sensationalism than needed from some people, but in response to your last set of questions- +1, liking, and the ability to sam social media sites wherever I am adds exactly zero value to me. So no, I won't lose sleep about seeing any of that crap gone.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

One thing I haven't read in all the threads about this is, how can we fix it? Is Apple going to fix it? Is there a setting or something we can tweak?

I've manually gone through the cookies on my iMac and weeded them from 2500+ down to about 40 "legitimate" ones.

It makes me very unhappy that after manually deleting a bunch of crap, after an hour of browsing there's another 50 cookies from sites I did not visit [...]

Why do out keep any cookies? If you really need them, you can be sure they'll be put back when you do. Even if you don't need them.

In fact, I flush everything using the Safari Reset command at least once a day. More often than that if I'm doing anything sensitive, like entering my credit card to pay bills online & such. I keep a window on my desktop to flush out all the Flash cookies at the same time since the Reset command doesn't get rid of those. Never seems to cause me any trouble.

And NO WAY have I ever or will I ever have anything to do with gmail or google docs. I do confess it would be hard to give up google Earth though...
  • Reply 66 of 109
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Interesting read: http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/21/the-last-alliance/

There's Something About Larry people don't like, I guess.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    DuckDuckGo for search, GMX.com for email, all I need to do is dump this pos Android phone and I'll be done with Google. And I won't miss them or their views on my privacy.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I only chose to read it after you replied to TS. Otherwise I didn't have interest. You went to the trouble to post the link give us interest to click it, that's all I'm saying.

I've come across that, too. Even things like Disqus comment on Engadget are blocked by Ghostery. I wonder if that's intentional or if they are wrapping these ads and analytics so deep that it breaks parts of the pages if not loaded.

I find that MyVerizon is totally unusable with Ghostery on. Many more sites have acted this way too. I used these sites and everything worked when I first got Ghostery. I believe the Ads when not allowed to load are purposely disabling the other content on the page. It's not flash doing it since my clicktoflash works and doesn't have any adverse affects (pun intended).
  • Reply 69 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Suggest you download "Little Snitch", it stops the tracking of any site you don't want tracking you.

I have it installed but this is a browser Javascript thing.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    Quote:

You haven't been to a Google site in 2 yrs? I'm sorry, but that's very hard to believe, and sounds literally impossible. You do realize that Google owns youtube, right? Among a million other things.

Agree. Google own too much on the Internet. And it not all Google fault. AI and just about every other high traffic site is making money by allow Google, Facebook, Twitter. etc. buttons on their pages. And this isn't even Google Ads or their search engine usage. It make me sick what all this commercializing of the Internet has done to own privacy.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Youtube has become quite a bit more than home movies, but I digress. I don't believe anyone who uses a computer on a daily basis can refrain from clicking on a youtube link for 2 years.

Youtube is a good source of pirated music, if you want to rip the MP3 from an uploaded movie, there are plenty of browser extensions that will help you do it and because no-one has tried to stop it it must be legal, right?
  • Reply 72 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Youtube is a good source of pirated music, if you want to rip the MP3 from an uploaded movie, there are plenty of browser extensions that will help you do it and because no-one has tried to stop it it must be legal, right?

I've "read" that you can easily get music videos in HD, too.
  • Reply 73 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems that what Google was doing was sneaky, scummy, backhanded and illegal!

And they did it to MS too! Why doesn't Apple and Microsoft join together and sue Google, for illegally exploiting both of their browsers?

Apple and Microsoft could sue as an injured party...

Quote:

And there should definitely be class action suits against Google for their illegal invasion of privacy, like the one mentioned in the OP.

...however the dude suing Google is claiming criminal conduct. If this plays out as it might, I know a couple Google executives that may get to play house with Bubba.

Either way, Google loses money and public prestige. Google stock holders may boot the big guys out and replace them with someone that will tend to the knitting better. It couldn't happen to a couple nicer guys.
  • Reply 74 of 109
    Excellent to become thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

... I HATE Google. Never really did like them at all to begin with, I mostly used other search engines but still used theirs once in a while. Up until Steve Jobs confirmed what I already figured. That Android was a stolen idea. I haven't been to Google site in 2 yrs! And I havent been to Facebooks site in almost 2 yrs either

Google is laughing at your efforts. You have to do a lot more than that to stay out of Google's "Eye of Sauron". ( It should be the "Eye of Google" ! )

Do you visit any web sites that contain Google's advertisements? If so, Google is tracking each and every one of your page views on those sites. And correlating them with your visits to other sites and everything else they gather.

Do you visit any web sites that use Google analytics? Millions of sites do, just do View Source on the home page of your favorite sites and look for "analytics". Google is tracking each and every one of your visits there as well.

You many not use gmail, but how many of your friends do? Do they email you? Oops, all those conversations belong to Google as well.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. It's good that you're aware enough of the problem to not use their services directly - it's a start, but you need to do a lot more to be even a little bit effective. As someone else mentioned, Little Snitch is awesome. Also, learn how to use your /etc/hosts file to outright block things like google's analytics, doubleclick, etc.

Beyond those things, make sure to let your friends and family know about these things. The biggest thing Google has in its favor is people's ignorance. That can be solved by education.

You're welcome. ;-)
  • Reply 76 of 109
    Quote:

You haven't been to a Google site in 2 yrs? I'm sorry, but that's very hard to believe, and sounds literally impossible. You do realize that Google owns youtube, right? Among a million other things.

I can't speak for the other dude, but this is the sole bit of Google's world I allow on/off my machine. I'd love for a competitor to come online that would compare with YouTube, but I don't see it in the near future.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Do you want to log in to every website and have no shared credentials, like or +1 buttons, or easy bottons to post links to various social media. Do you.. oh never mind, I just give up.

I think Apple][ sums up my opinion perfectly. Well, on this issue anyway. And we're not alone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

+1 buttons, like buttons? I'm sorry, but I'm not 14 years old, and no, I do not want any credentials shared across any websites and no I do not need any easy buttons to post links to various social media.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Me neither!

Quote:

... in response to your last set of questions- +1, liking, and the ability to sam social media sites wherever I am adds exactly zero value to me. So no, I won't lose sleep about seeing any of that crap gone.

Shared credentials are a terrible idea. Born of people's sheer laziness, and lack of paying any attention whatsoever to the evils of personal profile data harvesting.
  • Reply 78 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

One thing I haven't read in all the threads about this is, how can we fix it? Is Apple going to fix it? Is there a setting or something we can tweak?

I've manually gone through the cookies on my iMac and weeded them from 2500+ down to about 40 "legitimate" ones.

It makes me very unhappy that after manually deleting a bunch of crap, after an hour of browsing there's another 50 cookies from sites I did not visit - "Block cookies from 3rd parties and advertisers" seems to be completely and utterly broken / useless.

Why is there no option to have it just ask you for every cookie request if you want to allow or not? I'd like to see which sites I visit are playing these scummy games and sideloading cookies.

The "tweaks" have been available for years for Safari. I use Cookies, Incognito and Little Snitch. For this discussion to take place on a fairly techie site makes me wonder.
  • Reply 79 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I'd suggest that you read the article before commenting. Apple isn't the one suing.

Quote:

Did anyone sue apple for storing users GPS data on the device and transferring to server , and few other stuff still unknown.

Yes, Apple is being sued for that. The difference, of course, is that it was a bug which Apple acknowledged and fixed. Google, OTOH, has a long history of privacy violations. Their idea of fixing the problem is to find a different way to violate your privacy and hope that they won't get caught next time.
  • Reply 80 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Trying to ween myself off but their search engine is still the best, imo.

How so? Have you done comprehensive side-by-side tests?

There are tons of alternative search engines! And you wouldn't know the difference IRL.

I recommend "ixquick.com" and "usestealth.com", which do not register and track your IP address, your movements, and your searches like Google does.

Problem is that many browsers don't let you preset default search engines other than Google, Bing, and Yahoo (which register the same stuff about what you do on the interwebs). Auto-complete to the rescue.