Average paid Android apps are 2.5 times more expensive than iPhone apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    I agree that this does not even qualify as an analysis. A direct comparison of identical apps is the only thing that would make sense, and in that case the only thing that matters would be the number of sales on each platform for identical apps.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also believe that you have made a false statement.

You should provide some proof to support your false allegations.

The majority of apps may not make much money, as only the top apps are those who will rake in the money.

But to claim that the majority of developers do not make a cent is obviously an absurd, false statement. You sound like one of those activists complaining about Apple and China. There is no need to spread falsehoods.

Is it?

http://thegamebakers.com/money-and-t...developer.html

There are a number of other articles out there as well.

If you assume that the costs involved in making your app (the cost of your Mac, your time, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch etc) is zero, you might be happy with selling 1 or 2 copies of your app, but in reality those things are not free, they cost a lot of money and they take a lot of sales to make up, hence a lot of developers don't make any money from the app store. (the same can be said for a lot of industries, or app stores for other platforms).
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The problem is from what I 've heard from a lot of insiders that even pros who make good apps can't earn a decent living out of the app store. It's easy to rationalize this as people who make poor apps don't deserve money, but had you actually developed a pretty good app that the race to the bottom in prices as well as the fierce competition and 30% apple cut wasn't even allowing you to put food on the table you wouldn't be saying this.

I'm sorry, but just because you have a good app doesn't mean you're going to set the world on fire and make more cash than a rap star. The app store is huge and developers are going to need to take marketing seriously. Want to know a developer making money from iOS? Google. It makes more from it than Android.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

That is a cool link. So 70% free. I assume that is Android Market only? I started using the Amazon Market a few months ago because they give away one paid app free every day. I assume they pay the developer and give it away to the customer which would totally skew this report.

From my understanding, developers get nothing for the free app download and Amazon can change the offering prices of their apps at will.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Is it?

http://thegamebakers.com/money-and-t...developer.html

There are a number of other articles out there as well.

If you assume that the costs involved in making your app (the cost of your Mac, your time, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch etc) is zero, you might be happy with selling 1 or 2 copies of your app, but in reality those things are not free, they cost a lot of money and they take a lot of sales to make up, hence a lot of developers don't make any money from the app store. (the same can be said for a lot of industries, or app stores for other platforms).

Yes, of course I agree that developing an app takes time and money, some more than others. However, I do believe that it is the developer's responsibility to know all of the facts surrounding how their business works.

As you stated at the end of your comment, that's how things are in a lot of industries.

For every iPad, there's going to be plenty of Xooms and TouchPads that fail miserably. It's only natural that the same applies to apps also. Not everybody can be a winner. And yes, some developers may not get rich from the Appstore. That's life.

I suggest that they write better apps, or come up with something truly amazing and original if they wish to have a shot at making some money. Nobody's forcing anybody to make any apps, it's their choice. Those people who do not succeed should find a new line of work.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:

Yes, of course I agree that developing an app takes time and money, some more than others. However, I do believe that it is the developer's responsibility to know all of the facts surrounding how their business works.

As you stated at the end of your comment, that's how things are in a lot of industries.

For every iPad, there's going to be plenty of Xooms and TouchPads that fail miserably. It's only natural that the same applies to apps also. Not everybody can be a winner. And yes, some developers may not get rich from the Appstore. That's life.

I suggest that they write better apps, or come up with something truly amazing and original if they wish to have a shot at making some money. Nobody's forcing anybody to make any apps, it's their choice. Those people who do not succeed should find a new line of work.

Lucky Steve Jobs didn't have he same, absurd mentality that you have. He failed many many times but never considered "finding a new line of work". He pushed on, didn't quit and built the most successful company on Earth. Nobody bangs out a winner on the first try, takes allot of error. Of course simply quitting is always an option.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:

Lucky Steve Jobs didn't have he same, absurd mentality that you have. He failed many many times but never considered "finding a new line of work". He pushed on, didn't quit and built the most successful company on Earth.

And there's a difference between a Steve Jobs and somebody releasing a weather app on the appstore, when there's already 178 of them. I just made that 178 figure up, but you get the point I'm sure.

Those people who are truly talented should stick to their plans and the bozos should know when to quit. It is survival of the fittest and business is not a walk in the park. Only the strongest survive.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:

And there's a difference between a Steve Jobs and somebody releasing a weather app on the appstore, when there's already 178 of them. I just made that 178 figure up, but you get the point I'm sure.

Those people who are truly talented should stick to their plans and the bozos should know when to quit. It is survival of the fittest and business is not a walk in the park. Only the strongest survive.

Again, wrong. Steve was just a bozo working in his garage like so many back then. If people could predict the future as you suggest it would be easy but since they can not, they don't know they are talented until they have success and you can not have success without failure and being a bozo in their garage.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:

Yea...like releasing an MP3 player in a market full of MP3 players...or a smartphone when WinMo and Blackberry already have the market cornered...or a tablet when obviously the others that exist didn't do so well...

or as far as apps go...a photo sharing service (instagram) when others aren't doing so great

or a fling based physics game when there are oh so many out there...

etc.

One thing Steve Jobs proved is that you don't have to be first in a particular field to be successful, nor do you have to be immediately successful...you have to get up and try again...and be unique...and better.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Yea...like releasing an MP3 player in a market full of MP3 players...or a smartphone when WinMo and Blackberry already have the market cornered...or a tablet when obviously the others that exist didn't do so well...

or as far as apps go...a photo sharing service (instagram) when others aren't doing so great

or a fling based physics game when there are oh so many out there...

etc.

One thing Steve Jobs proved is that you don't have to be first in a particular field to be successful, nor do you have to be immediately successful...you have to get up and try again...and be unique...and better.

All your examples prove that Apple was unique when they entered the market.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:

Again, wrong. Steve was just a bozo working in his garage like so many back then. If people could predict the future as you suggest it would be easy but since they can not, they don't know they are talented until they have success and you can not have success without failure and being a bozo in their garage.

Well, I disagree. Objective people know if they're talented or not. And success does not have to equal talent.

If a 15 year old kid makes a game with graphics that rivals Infinity Blade 2, then that kid would qualify as talented.

It's just like the music business. There are a few good artists out there, but there's also so much damn crap.

And as I said, I don't feel sorry for any App developer who releases nothing but unoriginal garbage
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All your examples prove that Apple was unique when they entered the market.

Indeed it does.

If Apple released an MP3 player that was just like every other player out there, it would've sucked.

If Apple released an iPhone that looked and operated like every other phone out there at the time, it would've went nowhere.

If Apple released an iPad that was just like all of the other tablets that came before it, 7 people would have bought it.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:

Well, I disagree. Objective people know if they're talented or not. And success does not have to equal talent.

If a 15 year old kid makes a game with graphics that rivals Infinity Blade 2, then that kid would qualify as talented.

It's just like the music business. There are a few good artists out there, but there's also so much damn crap.

And as I said, I don't feel sorry for any App developer who releases nothing but unoriginal garbage

Based on this post I will guess your age between 18 and 21 and have not really experienced life. If someone "knows" they are talented then 9 x out of 10 they are not and are a legend in their own minds. True, success does not equate talent but true talent will prove successful. A person doesn't just wake up talented one day and know they will be successful, if they could life would be so easy.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:

Indeed it does.

If Apple released an MP3 player that was just like every other player out there, it would've sucked.

If Apple released an iPhone that looked and operated like every other phone out there at the time, it would've went nowhere.

If Apple released an iPad that was just like all of the other tablets that came before it, 7 people would have bought it.

Hind site is 20/20. These observations are easy to make now. When Apple released these products, they had no idea how things would turn out but they did it anyway, they didn't let past failures stop them and quit as you suggest people should do because they should know what he future holds.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:

Hind site is 20/20. These observations are easy to make now. When Apple released these products, they had no idea how things would turn out but they did it anyway, they didn't let past failures stop them and quit as you suggest people should do because they should know what he future holds.

Nope, I disagree again.

Apple knew that they had something truly amazing. They didn't know for sure how successful each would product be, as nobody can predict the future and sometimes good products or ideas do not always succeed, but they surely knew that what they had was killer stuff.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:

Nope, I disagree again.

Apple knew that they had something truly amazing. They didn't know for sure how successful each would product be, as nobody can predict the future and sometimes good products or ideas do not always succeed, but they surely knew that what they had was killer stuff.

I am estonished by what some people write and believe. If Apple knew so much, what happened with all the things that didn't do so well? Why didn't they know about those products? Or did they just choose to produce them anyway? I take back the 18-21 age guess. I'm thinking 15-17 at best which explains this.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:

I am estonished by what some people write and believe. If Apple knew so much, what happened with all the things that didn't do so well? Why didn't they know about those products? Or did they just choose to produce them anyway? I take back the 18-21 age guess. I'm thinking 15-17 at best which explains this.

So because some things weren't the hit they wanted it makes the rest of their accomplishments dumb luck? Bullshit.

And there is no hindsight is 20/20 crap. Looking back just proves what people said needed to be done before Apple released their products just as now people are saying that Apple slapping an AppleTV inside a TV and declaring that the future will be a failure. Apple needed to redefine how we interest with the programming for it to be a success. Of course, until they successful show that quarter after quarter I we can't bloody well prove it.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:

Even I knew that it was going to be wildly successful. I'm pretty sure that Apple and Steve Jobs knew that too.

There are those who are clueless and then there are those who are smart. The first time that I saw the iPad, I instantly knew that it was going to be huge, as in extremely huge.

There were also those who instantly declared it a flop. Those people are clueless losers and they do not possess the skills to succeed, as their judgement is horrible.

And before you go lowering my age anymore when you write your next post, might I remind you that you spell like a 13 year old?
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

Even I knew that it was going to be wildly successful. I'm pretty sure that Apple and Steve Jobs knew that too.

There are those who are clueless and then there are those who are smart. The first time that I saw the iPad, I instantly knew that it was going to be huge, as in extremely huge.

There were also those who instantly declared it a flop. Those people are clueless losers and they do not possess the skills to succeed, as their judgement is horrible.

And before you go lowering my age anymore when you write your next post, might I remind you that you spell like a 13 year old?

You just don't get it. If your expectations were right 100% of the time, you wouldn't be posting on this site because you would be too busy making money hand over fist either in the stock market or through miraculous inventions. In reality, you have strong opinions on things, and sometimes a lot of other people make the same assessment as you, making you feel "right" through a massive alignment of opinions (e.g. you love the iPad and so do a lot of other people so it becomes successful and you feel validated). In other cases, your opinions are equally strong, but those opinions differ from the opinions of most other people. These are cases where you don't feel predictive success, and you blame the difference in opinion on the ignorance of those who disagree with you rather than on your own failure to identify the likely potential outcome (e.g. you love AppleTV and think it will be a success but most people find it useless and therefore must not have the capacity to understand the ingenuity of the product).

What you're demonstrating is a classic case of confirmation bias and a heaping load of arrogance.

*Note: my speculations on your opinion of the iPad and AppleTV are not meant to be taken as fact but merely as a vehicle to make a point.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You just don't get it. If your expectations were right 100% of the time, you wouldn't be posting on this site because you would be too busy making money hand over fist either in the stock market or through miraculous inventions. In reality, you have strong opinions on things, and sometimes a lot of other people make the same assessment as you, making you feel "right" through a massive alignment of opinions (e.g. you love the iPad and so do a lot of other people so it becomes successful and you feel validated). In other cases, your opinions are equally strong, but those opinions differ from the opinions of most other people. These are cases where you don't feel predictive success, and you blame the difference in opinion on the ignorance of those who disagree with you rather than on your own failure to identify the likely potential outcome (e.g. you love AppleTV and think it will be a success but most people find it useless and therefore must not have the capacity to understand the ingenuity of the product).

What you're demonstrating is a classic case of confirmation bias and a heaping load of arrogance.

*Note: my speculations on your opinion of the iPad and AppleTV are not meant to be taken as fact but merely as a vehicle to make a point.

Nobody is 100% right all of the time, and I've certainly never claimed that I am always right, though I am more often right than not, and that's good enough in my book. It sure beats the pathetic track record of certain people who predict doom and failure for Apple every time that they launch something new.

And I am not an inventor, so I don't have any plans to invent anything. As for the stock market, I have recently decided to enter it, and we shall see how that goes. I would be very happy with somewhere around a 50% return on my initial investment after 12 months and I believe that I possess the skills required, as I consider myself to be a highly skilled poker player with a decent understanding of human psychology and herd mentality.