New video of purported 'iPad 3' screen supports Retina Display rumors

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Do-it-yourself repair site iFixit posted a side-by-side comparison video on Thursday between the alleged next-generation 'iPad 3' display and a replacement screen for an iPad 2, and results reaffirm previous reports that the purported new component's pixel density is indeed double that of Apple's current tablet line.

The site, well known for its product teardown and self-repair guides, used a USB microscope to shoot pixel-level images of a rumored "iPad 3" display that was obtained by MacRumors on Friday through "unreported channels."

Although last week's report yielded compelling photographic evidence that the component was a QXGA screen with a resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels, the iFixit images are of higher quality and show more detail than the previous side-by-side photos. Clearly seen are individual pixels, with the new display appearing to sport a common RGB sub-pixel arrangement which is identical to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S' Retina Display.

iFixit was unsuccessful in powering on the display due to a newly-designed LCD connector cable, but the USB microscope threw enough light to show that for each iPad 2 pixel, the new component boasted four. The finding is concurrent with reports that claim the pixel density of the rumored tablet will be around 260 pixels-per-inch. In contrast, the current generation iPad 2 has a 132 ppi pixel density.

While the estimated 260 ppi falls short of the 300+ ppi the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs described as being a qualifier for Retina Display status, it can be contested that because users hold tablets farther away from their eyes than a phone, the would-be "iPad 3" specs are be enough to achieve a perceived pixel density similar to that of Apple's latest smartphone.

The physical dimensions of the display are identical to that of the iPad and iPad 2, though iFixit notes that those thinking of swapping out their iPad 2 screens with this new "iPad 3" model are out of luck. Besides the obvious incompatibility with current iPad logic boards, there have been no figures as to the screen's power consumption and processor requirements.

Previous reports pointed to rumors that, due to a high pixel count, a so-called iPad Retina Display may need a backlight configuration consisting of two LED light bars to achieve brightness levels equavalent to current iPad models.

Apple is rumored to announce its next generation tablet on March 7, and will feature the rumored Retina Display, a redesigned case, a new processor and 4G LTE functionality.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quadruple the pixels and 17 grams lighter! Bring it on!

Only 2 more weeks to go now.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Invitations'll go out tomorrow. Or the standard week in advance. Who knows. I think they might do it on Steve's birthday, but then again, what could they say in them?

"Join us for Steve's crowning achievement…" maybe. That actually sounds pretty good.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Uh oh! The pervy comments will be coming shortly.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Why would anyone think of swiping this one for the one in their current model? I would hope that people are smarter than that.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Uh oh! The pervy comments will be coming shortly.

Why? Because of that chick in the video?

She's going for the geeky, nerdy look with those glasses and all, but you know that once the facade comes off, she will be a real animal in the sack! Just the kind that I like. All females should be animals in bed. Female prudes are a waste of time and not even worth speaking to, IMHO.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

• Reply 7 of 55
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:

Previous reports pointed to rumors that, due to a high pixel count, a so-called iPad Retina Display may need a backlight configuration consisting of two LED light bars to achieve brightness levels equavalent to current iPad models.

Does that mean the new display is less power efficient? Hopefully they managed to offset that power draw somehow then.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Does that mean the new display is less power efficient? Hopefully they managed to offset that power draw somehow then.

no it doesnt
  • Reply 9 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. The original talk of the two backlights is what brought about the thicker panel but this appears to be just as thin so perhaps they were able to figure out a single panel method.

Also, there is the 4x pixels of the display and the GPU to push the pixels that could affect battery life. There are other panel techs that are supposedly more power efficient while still maintaining a 178° viewing angle but there was doubt about the able to produce in quantity.

For all we know the battery life will not be as good for this first year of the HiDPI display because they felt the hight res display was more important than increased battery life this time around.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

no it doesnt

Explain? If it needs two LED bars rather than one how does that not mean it needs more power at the same brightness?
  • Reply 11 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

She's going for the geeky, nerdy look with those glasses and all, but you know that once the facade comes off, she will be a real animal in the sack! Just the kind that I like. All females should be animals in bed. Female prudes are a waste of time and not even worth speaking to, IMHO.

Ok, enough.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, enough.

Well, I apologize if my honest opinions offends anybody here.

I wouldn't even have mentioned it, if Solipsism didn't bring it up.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

So non-whores or women not willing to fuck you aren't worth speaking to? From a few previous posts regarding women you've made, that's what I gather you define as 'non-prudes'. Misogyny is pretty consistent with your other general views, so no surprise there.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Invitations'll go out tomorrow. Or the standard week in advance. Who knows. I think they might do it on Steve's birthday, but then again, what could they say in them?

"Join us for Steve's crowning achievement?" maybe. That actually sounds pretty good.

according to rumor the announcement will be March 7th. This is based on the 'fact' that Apple does 'all' announcements either at Yerba Buena or Moscone and there's nothing on the calendar that day at YB (who wouldn't be allowed to put Apple on the calendar).

So the standard weeks notice won't be until next week.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    I don't care whats in it. I just want one on the 7th.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Explain? If it needs two LED bars rather than one how does that not mean it needs more power at the same brightness?

efficiency can increase, use of new or different tech
  • Reply 17 of 55
    She can come handle my Retina Display anytime she wants.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Misogyny is pretty consistent with your other general views, so no surprise there.

False. Before certain people go around and accuse others of being racists, misogynists or whatever, they should think twice before engaging in slander.

mi·sog·y·nis·tic adj \\mə-ˌsäj-ə-ˈnis-tik\\

Definition of MISOGYNISTIC

: having or showing a hatred and distrust of women

I don't have any hatred or distrust of women.

As a matter of fact, I am the complete opposite of a misogynist, and I treat women pretty well. I simply view many of them as sexual objects. That doesn't make somebody a misogynist, that makes them a male.

A perfect example of a misogynist is those people in the world who keep women down, forcing them to cover up from head to toe, and beating them or worse if they don't comply. Those people hate women and they are afraid of females. I think that females should wear as little as possible. I also believe in equality and that they should make the same wage as a male does if they are performing the same job and they possess equal skills.

So no, I am not a misogynist.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    The young lady states that we could argue that "retina display" is more about perceived image quality than specs. But as the specs are based on human visual perception, she's wrong. What you can argue about is viewing distance. Whether that argument will have any effect on sales is another issue entirely.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I don't care whats in it. I just want one on the 7th.

Well, you're not going to get one on the seventh. They might announce one on the seventh, and if you're lucky, maybe you'll have it in your hands 2-3 weeks after that.