New video of purported 'iPad 3' screen supports Retina Display rumors

2

Comments

  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post


    The young lady states that we could argue that "retina display" is more about perceived image quality than specs. But as the specs are based on human visual perception, she's wrong. What you can argue about is viewing distance. Whether that argument will have any effect on sales is another issue entirely.



    That's what she's getting at. Viewing distance. She said that because you would hold an iPad fathet away than a phone the PPI can be lower. At 13" away it only needs to be 260 PPI for 20/20 vision. With a PPI of 265 for a 9.7" 2048x1536 display that would certainly fall within the scope of being honestly defined as Retina Display, despite the fact it's a marketing term.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 25,342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    False. Before certain people go around and accuse others of being racists, misogynists or whatever, they should think twice before engaging in slander.



    mi·sog·y·nis·tic adj \\mə-ˌsäj-ə-ˈnis-tik\\



    Definition of MISOGYNISTIC



    : having or showing a hatred and distrust of women




    I don't have any hatred or distrust of women.



    As a matter of fact, I am the complete opposite of a misogynist, and I treat women pretty well. I simply view many of them as sexual objects. That doesn't make somebody a misogynist, that makes them a male.



    A perfect example of a misogynist is those people in the world who keep women down, forcing them to cover up from head to toe, and beating them or worse if they don't comply. Those people hate women and they are afraid of females. I think that females should wear as little as possible. I also believe in equality and that they should make the same wage as a male does if they are performing the same job and they possess equal skills.



    So no, I am not a misogynist.



    These are the views of someone who simply cannot get a girl interested in them. Childish and boring.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    These are the views of someone who simply cannot get a girl interested in them. Childish and boring.



    I'm already with somebody, and have been for quite some time, but you are of course entitled to find my views childish and boring. My main point was that I am certainly not any misogynist.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    False. Before certain people go around and accuse others of being racists, misogynists or whatever, they should think twice before engaging in slander.



    mi·sog·y·nis·tic adj \\mə-ˌsäj-ə-ˈnis-tik\\



    Definition of MISOGYNISTIC



    : having or showing a hatred and distrust of women




    I don't have any hatred or distrust of women.



    As a matter of fact, I am the complete opposite of a misogynist, and I treat women pretty well. I simply view many of them as sexual objects. That doesn't make somebody a misogynist, that makes them a male.



    A perfect example of a misogynist is those people in the world who keep women down, forcing them to cover up from head to toe, and beating them or worse if they don't comply. Those people hate women and they are afraid of females. I think that females should wear as little as possible. I also believe in equality and that they should make the same wage as a male does if they are performing the same job and they possess equal skills.



    So no, I am not a misogynist.



    You can't really pull off the Charlie Harper. I'm guessing you missed that episode.



    Suffice it to say you are not exactly a <air quotes> Rico Suave </air quotes> type of guy.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    You can't really pull off the Charlie Harper. I'm guessing you missed that episode.



    You made me Google that quickly, because I had no idea about what you were talking about.



    And you're right, I've never seen that episode because I've actually never seen that show before, not even a single episode.
  • aizmovaizmov Posts: 987member
    I can't handle any more rumors anymore. I just want this thing out by mid March to replace my iPad 2. As long as it has a higher resolution display and considerably higher performance on all benchmarks I'm happy.



    I hope the display is made by Sharp.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    You made me Google that quickly, because I had no idea about what you were talking about.



    And you're right, I've never seen that episode because I've actually never seen that show before, not even a single episode.



    Not surprised since it doesn't air on the Fox news channel.
  • austingaijinaustingaijin Posts: 25member
    Must. Buy. Can't. Control.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Not surprised since it doesn't air on the Fox news channel.



    I don't watch any sitcoms which airs on regular TV. I prefer cable series.



    And whenever I'm not using my iPad 2, I like to keep a live stream of Fox News constantly running on it. It's good to keep informed, up to date and aware of the latest developments that criminal liberals are up to. Most people agree with me too, as Fox News is the top rated cable news channel by far.
  • fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I don't watch any sitcoms which airs on regular TV. I prefer cable series.



    And whenever I'm not using my iPad 2, I like to keep a live stream of Fox News constantly running on it. It's good to keep informed, up to date and aware of the latest developments that criminal liberals are up to. Most people agree with me too, as Fox News is the top rated cable news channel by far.



    Faux news? What a joke......
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I don't watch any sitcoms which airs on regular TV. I prefer cable series.



    And whenever I'm not using my iPad 2, I like to keep a live stream of Fox News constantly running on it. It's good to keep informed, up to date and aware of the latest developments that criminal liberals are up to. Most people agree with me too, as Fox News is the top rated cable news channel by far.



    True, their TV ratings are higher, however, it leads me to believe Fox news viewers are by and large sitting at home unemployed rednecks looking to blame someone else for their problems and Fox is ready to accommodate them. In comparison the largely higher educated liberals who use the Internet and other news gathering organizations such as print which generally require actual reading, comprehension skills are much more informed and consequentialy more openminded.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post


    Faux news? What a joke......



    Yes, I think that we all know by now that highly informed and intelligent liberals who do as they're told by their masters do not like Fox News. Thanks for your contribution.
  • kre62kre62 Posts: 10member
    So sick of people saying SJ "defined" the retina as 300PPI. He NEVER did that EVER.



    Go watch the video of the ip4 unveiling. He said: With a screen this size, at 12" from face, the limit is around 300PPI to be able to discern individual pixels.



    Retina is defined as being able to not see pixels at normal viewing distance for your device. Normal viewing distance is a function of screen size.



    Retnina does not equal 300PPI. 300PPI is only retina for a 3.5" screen at 12 inches. Get it? 300PPI is only applicable to 3.5" screens at 12 inches. A new retina calc muct be done for any screen size that is not 3.5".
  • flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,145member
    A rank, polluted thread, on what should have been a routine good-news story.



    Responding to Apple ][ is useless, because he's obviously not for real. He's only here to creep out everybody who's decent.



    Yes, I do think he's being paid to bring down the tone of the forum, as the expert in such matters, ConradJoe, said a while ago. Why? Because no one could possibly be as unevolved as he pretends to be and still be as literate.



    You will notice that he never makes spelling or grammar errors. Anyone who holds the idiot-level opinions he pretends to hold would not be able to spell, punctuate or paragraph. Such people do not exist. He's a fake.
  • feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    So I've always been curious, especially on parts that are not associated with any released products, what happens when you scan the QR codes found on them? Do they just come back as blank?
  • powderdustpowderdust Posts: 53member
    When I watched the film, I'm sure Justin Timberlake told Zucks to drop the "The" out of Facebook.
  • tipootipoo Posts: 578member
    By this point I think its fairly safe to say the screen is confirmed. I'm more interested in the GPU though. Anand from Anandtech thinks its the 543MP4, the quad core version of the dual core chip found in the iPad 2 and the same one as the Vita has. That would be about double the performance for 4x the pixels though. It might be like the 3GS-4 change where overall graphics performance goes down or at least sideways because of the new resolution. I hope its the SGX600 series though.
  • adrianjnycadrianjnyc Posts: 35member
    I will be buying the iPad 3 on its launch date and we all can expect that to be very soon.



    PS... She is a cute chick though and I dig the glasses.
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 13,801member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post


    She can come handle my Retina Display anytime she wants.







    She's a cute girl but a little bit of an annoying voice. You know what they say, 'for every beautiful woman, there's a guy sick of listening to her s***'. Bet you can't make it through the full 8 minutes:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWM6H6Pi8E



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo


    By this point I think its fairly safe to say the screen is confirmed. I'm more interested in the GPU though. Anand from Anandtech thinks its the 543MP4, the quad core version of the dual core chip found in the iPad 2 and the same one as the Vita has. That would be about double the performance for 4x the pixels though. It might be like the 3GS-4 change where overall graphics performance goes down or at least sideways because of the new resolution. I hope its the SGX600 series though.



    If it was the PowerVR 6, they'd be getting it a year before anyone else. Sony thinks they are getting it first with the Nova A9600, which ships in 2013:



    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/q...t-architecture



    I think it will be a side-step for the iPad 3 like the 3GS->4 and then ship an iPad 3S in 2013 with 2.5GHz Cortex A15 and PowerVR Rogue Series 6.



    I suspect the 543MP4 is the most likely because really it would just affect games but I doubt 3D games will render at 2048 x 1536. It would be better for them to render at 1024 x 768 and just turn up AA. 2D games like Tiny Wings and Angry Birds can double the resolution no problem.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Bet you can't make it through the full 8 minutes



    I only need 2. Wait, what are we talking about again.



    Seriously though, I like Melissa and I'm sure her husband and father of her child like her voice just fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.