RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html

Bad news for Netflix: I am not interested in their poor selection of old crappy movies!

In other news, Blizzard releases Diablo 3 two years late, everyone is so dissappointed, no way it will sell. :/
  • Reply 42 of 143
    Cool stuff man
  • Reply 43 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

In other news, Blizzard releases Diablo 3 two years late, everyone is so dissappointed, no way it will sell. :/

See, the difference here is Blizzard didn't release Diablo 3 a year ago as a game without any weapons, enemies, or levels unless you bought Diablo 1 and 2 and had them installed on your computer and running at the same time as 3.
  • Reply 44 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html

And no Skype!
  • Reply 45 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In an overview of the new features provided by OS 2.0, RIM touts the app's unified inbox, HTML-compatible messaging, and attachment downloads. ...

This is a pretty easy thing to do when all they did was buy a licence to ActiveSync.

It's not like RIM figured this stuff out. Microsoft's engineers did it years ago and RIM bought it in a nice little package.
  • Reply 46 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

To me this ad says "If you are the kind of person who wastes money on pretentious decor and food... boy do we have the tablet for you!"

I agree except the food part.

No such thing as "wasting money on food" IMO. Food is literally what your body is made of, and the better quality the food, the better ... you.
  • Reply 47 of 143
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    so ... does it run Android apps as well as regular Android tablets do? any issues? Android browsers with Flash? Android Skype? etc?
  • Reply 48 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree except the food part.

No such thing as "wasting money on food" IMO. Food is literally what your body is made of, and the better quality the food, the better ... you.

1) Buying food and then not eating it.

2) Buying food that you like but that offers no real nutrition value and perhaps could be longterm negative effects on the body.
  • Reply 49 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

Wait, are you seriously going to keep these wrapped in the closet for 10 months or do you just give really, really late Christmas presents?
  • Reply 50 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.

You seem to have an unholy amount of hatred and resentment towards Apple, their employees, their products, and their entire philosophy, and I wonder why people like you still visit sites like these and posts on such boards. You even have the need to take vicious, hateful, belittling personal attacks on Apple's executives. Why is this necessary, and is all your frothing of the mouth based on the lack of matte screens? How utterly childish.

- WHat kind of interface do you want? From Microsofts own words, Windows 8 was a direct response to iOS. They had no choice, Apple forced them to completely revamp their UI. So now Apple should respond by randomly revamping theirs? Android has been flailing randomly the past few years trying to nail down a look and some consistency. Just because Apple was 1st to the game, they should just change their UI for the hell of it? Do you not realize their major advantage is familiarity and consistency? Their greatest skill is adding a ton of features and power to iOS since release, without cluttering anything up and keeping the interface simple and intuitive. Also, It's only been 4 month since Steve's death, and you're accusing the team of 'shitting their pants' and being 'vionsionless' because they didn't run and change everything right after he died? What the hell makes you think iOS would look any different now if Steve was still here? Obviously it wouldn't.

- Launchpad: You never, ever have to use it if you don't like it. Stop bitching about an ADDED option that does nothing to stifle your ability to use the old one. I've seen plenty of less technically inclined people who now use launchpad exclusively to browse additional applications- its a much more intuitive system than opening finder, getting a small window, click on application, then browsing a tiny list, then double-clicking. Especially people coming from iOS- what's wrong with familiarity and consistency? Have you heard of the halo effect? Obviously you have no clue what that even is.

- Why are you attacking Phil Shiller with such nastiness? Did he rape your dog? Yes, he demoed 10.8 to a bunch of journalists (not just John Gruber) a week before it was revealed. He wasn't 'leaking' anything- it was Apple's strategy to give tech journalists time to dwelve into the OS before it was made public, and was a move sanctioned by the whole company, not some sneaky initiative by him.

Your latest post is even more insane, and your 'suggestions' shows that you don't have the slightest clue of Apple's core and what has made them successful. 'Diversify' the lineup? Apple will more likely cut models, not add more. Overhaul iOS but give an 'option to switch back'. Wow. This is your definition of bold? Making something new but having so little confidence as to have a fall-back option, so that you have people running visually different OS styles, fragmentation, and then having to optimize every single update, addition, and feature for both a 'new' and 'old' look? That's a horrible idea about as un-Apple as I can imagine. A 'crazy bleeding edge division'? What the hell does that mean? Sounds like you want them to experiment and throw shit out there, for a niche audience, and to see what sticks, like everyone else. Again, so un-Apple-like.

If Apple followed your suggestions they'd start going down the shitter so fast. Yet you speak as if Apple needs to do exactly what YOU want them to do, otherwise everyone there is an imbecile and they're doomed. What hubris, especially when none of your suggestions are in Apple's DNA, and all things SJ would have laughed out of the room. You say they will fail if they dont do a complete 180 on their general philosophies, which is essentially what you're suggesting.

Stick to bitching about lack of matte screens, and less of personally mocking and attacking the people at Apple that have been critical to its success, calling them visionless, because they're not implementing the short-sighted, asinine moves that you fantasize about. Better yet, stop using their products if you hate what the company has become. Why would you stick with a company you believe is being run by vision-less clowns that you have no confidence in? You There's a ton of options out there, and they won't be giving in to your demands anytime soon. Save yourself from stress. Because contrary to your ranting, it is still the same company that existed under the leadership of Jobs, and has become successful exactly by doing the things that you hate.
  • Reply 51 of 143
    Quote:

More choices and more customisation of os x on a per class of machine as you hinted at is another one. Generally more customizability of the os is now highly required when apple are trying to pander to the iOS crowd and be everything to everyone.

It's hard to take anything you say seriously when adding more choices, like with Launchpad as an option, is exactly what they are doing.

You really sound like an elitist who doesn't want Macs to be used by people who only bought one because they'd use an iPhone or iPad. How dare Apple capitalize on the success of those devices by innovating ways to make the desktop OS more attractive¡
  • Reply 52 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.

I suppose that for you, living in ignorance is bliss. Feel good making most things up?
  • Reply 53 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

so ... does it run Android apps as well as regular Android tablets do? any issues? Android browsers with Flash? Android Skype? etc?

It doesn't run Android apps. Developers have to decide that they want their app on the Playbook. Then they run it through RIM's recompiler. Then, if they need to they tweak it. Then somehow, it becomes available to the Playbook to run within RIM's emulation environment in the Playbook.

For those thinking that all those Android apps are available, think again.
  • Reply 54 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

This software is not two months late. It was first promised for early summer. Then for late summer. Then for December. Then for February.

This is all for features that needed to be there in the beginning.

In addition, this still can't use the BES server, and is therefor required to use a simplified version of Exchange. The security is much poorer than what is available in iOS, and even Android. Only when linked to a BB is BES invoked. But when disconnected, all files through BES disappear from the Playbook, and it goes back being the same poorly secure device it is. The only good thing is the seperate partitions for business and personal data. But iOS is about as effective in that area.

One major reason why this software is so late is that RIM was hoping to fix the problem they have with BES. That problem is due to a lack of foresight by RIM, likely by Lazarius. BES can only handle one device per account, unlike iOS, and Android. So if you have a BB already linked to BES, you can't have a Playbook linked too. Another major problem, and a bigger one looms that has prevented this. Even now, RIM hasn't figured out how to get BB 10, their new QNX based OS to work with BES. That's one major reason why the phones based on it are going to be so late. They were first promised for the first quarter of 2012, but now, the one phone left, the London, won't be seen until late in the year.

If they can't get BES to work with BB 10, then they are sunk!

I'm not really sure if you are "real", or being sarcastic about RIM.
  • Reply 55 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not really sure if you are "real", or being sarcastic about RIM.

He registered on an Apple forum just to insult all Apple fans. He's real.
  • Reply 56 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Buying food and then not eating it.

2) Buying food that you like but that offers no real nutrition value and perhaps could be longterm negative effects on the body.

This is totally off topic but I would agree with point two. I never buy food that "offers no real nutrition value (pop, chips, candy, wonderbread, etc.) for that reason.

Point one I disagree with. Stale or old food is one of the biggest source of health problems. I regularly discard/compost food that isn't fresh and I'm rather proud of that. The money you save by eating that slightly mouldy dairy product or that leftover that "doesn't taste too bad yet," is a false economy IMO.

If one has to eat out of the garbage, or eat poor quality food, then fair enough. One does what one has to do. But if you can afford to, buying quality food is always a good idea and IMO should be the last thing in your budget to scrimp on.
  • Reply 57 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is totally off topic but I would agree with point two. I never buy food that "offers no real nutrition value (pop, chips, candy, wonderbread, etc.) for that reason.

Point one I disagree with. Stale or old food is one of the biggest source of health problems. I regularly discard/compost food that isn't fresh and I'm rather proud of that. The money you save by eating that slightly mouldy dairy product or that leftover that "doesn't taste too bad yet," is a false economy IMO.

If one has to eat out of the garbage, or eat poor quality food, then fair enough. One does what one has to do. But if you can afford to, buying quality food is always a good idea and IMO should be the last thing in your budget to scrimp on.

The comment I applied to stated, 'No such thing as "wasting money on food" IMO.' It's possible not to buy only what you need at a store or restaurant. I do agree that eating food that could be harmful to your health is not good but that doesn't mean you didn't waste money.
  • Reply 58 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He registered on an Apple forum just to insult all Apple fans. He's real.

I know he's real, I just don't know if his personality is real in that he's being serious, or is being sarcastic about RIM. Sometimes, its hard to tell.
  • Reply 59 of 143
    This is to hopefully clear up the misconception that the Playbook can run Android apps. It can't. Period. At first, RIM was being very coy about that, but it was rapidly cleared up after being asked pointed questions about it.

This is from RIM's web site, in one of their FAQ's:

Quote:

Android apps

Access a large number of additional apps for your tablet. BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps allows Android applications that developers have repackaged, signed, and submitted to the BlackBerry App World storefront, to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0.

Repackaged actually means recompiled and tweaked.
  • Reply 60 of 143
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If all you want is social networks, calendar, and contacts then that commercial might be compelling. Otherwise if you want movies, games, and real productivity software then get an iPad or Kindle Fire.