Apple will NOT make a PDA!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The future of the PDA market looks grim indeed, with cellular phones and "communicators" integrating the common PDA functions. Releasing one now would be utter madness! Apple might just as well make a cellphone instead, ha ha!

...on second thought, maybe that's not as far fetched as it might seem, with moto being one of the major players in that market. ajoint venture of some kind?

how about this: a motorola communicator device that runs apple software. The OSX lite would not be darwin, but rather a port of aqua (stripped down of course) to embedded linux.

The device could be sold under both apple and moto brand names with just different looks, or maybe have user exchangeable "shells" like many phones already do today.

I apologize if there's already a thread about this (seems like a obvious one), I didn't find one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The fact that Apple can release a high priced MP3 player and that it can be such a success should prove to most people that if Apple were to re-enter the handheld computing market (the one that they started), they would do very well.

This is especially true since most of their Newton technology has still not been surpassed by Palm.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Well, that's about to change by late summer (we hope) Palm OS5 wil bring Newton/PocketPC power to the palm platform. I don't think Apple will be involved in any pda projects other than perhaps some software for Palm.

The only bet for a slim (but not pocket) device from Apple is some kinda really small subnote with a touch screen. Something expensive and exclusive that runs an actual Apple OS (OSX) and real Mac soft ware.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    Are you kidding me? This is painfully obvious. Nobody should be making something that is just a PDA. The future is in integrating all the different crap I carry around all day into one tiny device. PDA-phone-mp3 player. Stop thinking different. Different is heavy and takes up a lot of space. Think same.

The problem isn't in the product, I have no doubt that Apple could make one mean MPDAPhone tomorrow, its in the services needed to get it to work from the telcos and so on.