Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 195
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

Don't let the door hit u on the a$$ when u leave... SAMESUNG will be happy to have your $$$

Well, yes, that is what he is saying. Him and others.
  • Reply 182 of 195
    we're talking about resolution that nearly matches what was on my 30" cinema display, squeezed into a 9.7" display? just wow?

I have a thought. That pricing chart definitely implies two distinct tiers of product lines? if Apple remains consistent with other product naming conventions, then instead of "iPad 2" and "iPad 3" we might see a break to "iPad" and "iPad Pro"?

e.g. the current "iPad 2" gets an incremental speed bump, and remains named just "iPad"? the retina-display/quad-core iPad gets the "Pro" moniker added?

Having to keep adding numbers to the name is a pain? like the iPod Touch, iMac, MacBook Pro and now MacBook Air, leaving off the 'version number' is pretty convenient?

I think it's a very likely possibility Apple will keep multiple tiers of iPad, like they do with the iPhone now? but as it's more a mobile computer than a 'smart phone', I think it may eventually join the computer device naming scheme?

But then again, it's iOS, not OS X, so who knows...
  • Reply 183 of 195
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think they will change the iPhone's naming convention too.
  • Reply 184 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Who's got 2Q 2013 in the office pool as the date by which the IOS version which is required for all Apple services no longer supports the 2?

I reckon somewhere between Q2 2013 and Q2 2014. Probably supported until Q2 2014 but from Q2 2013 iPad 2 will start to seem slow, particularly if you bought it early when it came out.
  • Reply 185 of 195
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Start with the fact that Moore was discussing transistor density, and NAND contains no transistors.

WTF do you think they contain??
  • Reply 186 of 195
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Too many models. More likely to be:

iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi - US$499 (as is)

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi - US$579 (A5X chip, retina display) + 3G option

iPad 3 32GB Wi-Fi - US$649 (A5X chip, retina display) + 3G option

iPad 3 64GB Wi-Fi - US$729 (A5X chip, retina display) + 3G option

I think LTE will debut in the next iPhone.

We'll know in just over a week. Have you started on your iPad 4 rumors yet?
  • Reply 187 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

you will be one less person in my line I won't have to wait for when ordering my OUT OF STOCK iPAD3 when they do go on sale.

Don't let the door hit u on the a$$ when u leave... SAMESUNG will be happy to have your $$$

[insult removed] I have a pile dog crap with a apple logo on it, why don't you have some left overs. I have been in the IT community prior to the Macintosh, and if it was up to apple you would still be paying over 3k for a pc , closed hardware closed OS. Do they have a good product yes, and yes they will eat their own young for dollar. It is up to the consumer to push back, 580 for a IPAD, hell no.
  • Reply 188 of 195
    How can you believe this document is legit if they still have the iPad 2 price starting at $499? Can someone explain?

After an entire year Apple wouldn't sell an old model for the same price it was last year. I feel like this year will be the same as any other. They will knock the price of the iPad 2 a little bit and introduce the iPad 3 at $499 for 16GB+Wifi.

I have not purchased in iPad in the past because it seemed like every time I convinced myself I could afford one, it was Christmas time and I knew a new model would be right around the corner.

My gut just tells me that Apple will not raise the price of the base model because they always seem to highlight how all their products are "affordable" by highlighting the base price. And I agree with a couple people on here that $499 is a mental barrier, for me at least.

I have waited so long to get an iPad that I will get it whether it is $499 or $579 and just hope that next year's model doesn't blow it out of the water.
  • Reply 189 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

How can you believe this document is legit if they still have the iPad 2 price starting at $499? Can someone explain?

Because it's possible the iPad 3 will only come in cellular telephony models. The price for the iPad 3 will start at $549, leaving the iPad 2 at $499.
  • Reply 190 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it's possible the iPad 3 will only come in cellular telephony models. The price for the iPad 3 will start at $549, leaving the iPad 2 at $499.

I don't think it would be a good business move to only have cellular telephony models. Don't most people buy the Wifi only model?

I am saying pretty low chances on discontinuing the Wifi only model, right?
  • Reply 191 of 195
    juanm105juanm105 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Nope, I'm genuinely worried. Apple needs to keep "This Year's Model" at the same price regardless of keeping around an old model.

I agree. Apple should keep the newest model at the present price point.

If Apple has to use some of its 100B to keep the price down that seems to be a great strategic use of those funds. If the margin has to suffer, no problem to this apple stock holder.

keep the lead and lengthen it.

Who could match an iPad 3 with a retina screen and other features at $499.

No one!!!

(they probably can't match it at $579 either but why not just blow everyone away>)
  • Reply 192 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

If Apple has to use some of its 100B to keep the price down that seems to be a great strategic use of those funds. If the margin has to suffer, no problem to this apple stock holder.

No one!!!

(they probably can't match it at $579 either but why not just blow everyone away>)

I don't agree that Apple should waste its money when it doesn't need but if they can release a 2048x1536 iPad for the same price points this year then I think we can effectively say the iPad has natural monopoly for the foreseeable future.

Also, The Verge released this article yesterday stating the price points will stay the same:
  • Reply 193 of 195
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

No one!!!

I would prefer that Apple take the margin hit on the iPad2 and keep it in the product line at the lowest price possible. That would help keep competitors still struggling to compete and allow for more separation / differentiation between the iPad2 and the iPad3 products. If the two products are priced too close together I would be concerned that the iPad2 just wouldn't sell well in comparison to the iPad3.

I trust Apple will do the right thing and that they don't need my input..
  • Reply 194 of 195
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Also, The Verge released this article yesterday stating the price points will stay the same:

Indeed, and Mr. X from 9to5 says they'll be the same, so my fears were unfounded.
  • Reply 195 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Indeed, and Mr. X from 9to5 says they'll be the same, so my fears were unfounded.

Always good to consider all angles.