Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sould we bring back the old argument from the mid 1990s that Apple should license their OS or lose market share?

No way.

Apple is the #1 computer maker of $1000+ machines. And they're doing exactly what they want to do.

Meanwhile... HP flirted with a complete overhaul of their consumer PC division... and Dell actually came out today and said "we are no longer a PC company"

Hmmm... Apple's tiny marketshare of seemingly-expensive machines may be a blessing after all.

Marketshare is in no way a barometer for success.
  • Reply 62 of 162
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

yes, because they are.

Thats 76M a quarter, which is hugely impressive given it is Q1.

Really impressive because when you look at the actually units being sold. The numbers don't add up. So they are selling double what Apple is selling but not double the market share? ODD
  • Reply 63 of 162
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Marketshare is in no way a barometer for success.

Of course it's not. And a lot of those activations are for bottom of the barrel Android phones in "developing" countries, which is a PC word for third world, poor as dirt countries. So who cares about their activation numbers, when the metric that matters the most, the almighty dollar, is where Apple is kicking Android's ass, every single day.
  • Reply 64 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuckster View Post

Apple sold approximately 70 million iOS devices last quarter. If my math is correct, that is approximately 782K activations per day. Not a far cry from the quoted 850k for Android. Also I suspect that many of that 850k are cheap poor performing phones that can only run a subset of the Android Marketplace Apps. All Apple devices run the full compliment of apps.

And when you consider "Android" is actually made up of many devices from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG, ZTE, Sony, Acer and others.... Apple is doing amazingly well for a single company.
  • Reply 65 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Finally, numbers that make it clear that high adoption rates was due to the high number of Andriod device manufacturers versus ONE iPhone maker.

But seriously, 800 since 2008?

Seriously. This is what the Droidtards want. Choices, choices and more choices. Just browsing through all those new Android handsets on Engadget that are going to be released on the public makes my head spin. As it is, when you walk into a carrier store or a Best Buy, the array of a gazillion Android smartphones is enough to make any normal consumer turn and run away. I see no way that Android vendors can keep this sort of production up and running profitably. Just way too many models to deal with. The Android platform is being sliced into 800 tiny pieces which means most vendors only get crumbs of profit or none at all. It's insane.
  • Reply 66 of 162
    I have just two questions.

Are any of the Android handset makers or Android developers making any real money?

How many of these Android handset manufacturers will be onboard once Google ties up tightly to Motorola. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that anyone but Motorola will get first shot at any new OS in a couple of years. These OEMs are all going to be giving Windows a very serious look.
  • Reply 67 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Of course it's not. And a lot of those activations are for bottom of the barrel Android phones in "developing" countries, which is a PC word for third world, poor as dirt countries. So who cares about their activation numbers, when the metric that matters the most, the almighty dollar, is where Apple is kicking Android's ass, every single day.

Agreed!
  • Reply 68 of 162
    Monetizing Android really is a challenge.

Google might be getting high activation numbers but what is the use of that without users turning that into cold hard cash?

Most android manufacturers are barely profitable, and have Lost marketshare - bar Samsung

Apple turns more profit than all the Android eco-system combined, with iOS devices.

The Android Market really is a wild west - there might be 450,000 unique 'apps' to download, but there are categories that would never appear on iphone - utilities for rooting, wallpapers, skinning utilities, file browsers, MP3 players to replace the dreadful built in Android one. Then there's the derth of quality. Yes, there are a selection of high quality developed apps that are made by professional studios, but as has often been repeated, the android market is a very difficult place to turn a profit with. 300 million devices and a billion downloads a day there might be, but where's the money?

It doesn't seem to make any difference weather there are 10,000 or 1000,000,000,000 Androids- if siad apps dont generate revenue, who's going to bother putting quality first?

So Google can keep pumping their stats, but that's all they ahve to talk about - money is but the stuff of dreams with Android.

Any profit Google made from Android thusfar will be wiped out by the 13 billion they are spending on Motorola Mobility...
  • Reply 69 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Are any of the Android handset makers or Android developers making any real money?

How many of these Android handset manufacturers will be onboard once Google ties up tightly to Motorola. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that anyone but Motorola will get first shot at any new OS in a couple of years. These OEMs are all going to be giving Windows a very serious look.

Samsung appears to be quite profitable. A couple other vendors seem to be just above the red but not much.

In fact, the profits from vendors using Android is so weighted in Samsungs favour that if Samsung forked Android to make it their own and/or created the Samsung Android Market (SAM) so that validated and tested apps, much like Apple's App Store, could be sold I think Samsung could essentially close out everyone else who tried to compete with an Android-based device.
  • Reply 70 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Samsung is by far the largest Android OEM. I'm sure they're making money.

Motorola has had a couple rocky years... and LG finally had a profitable quarter after a series of money-losing quarters.

But here's the thing... when a manufacturer has 8 new models coming out every year... that's 8 times the R&D, testing, manufacturing and other stuff they have to do. And they sell relatively few units of each. Basically... they spend a lot of money and get little return.

Apple, on the other hand, comes out with very few models, and sells a ton of them. That's business efficiency.

One prime example: Instead of creating a new budget phone... Apple just keeps selling an older model. All the hard work was done for the iPhone 3GS years ago. Same for the iPhone 4. Why throw away all that and start from scratch?

But the other manufacturers are starting to see the light. Wasn't it HTC who said they want to reduce the number of models they make each year? They would be wise to.
  • Reply 71 of 162
    My buddy went to school for 550,000 years and he's still stupid.

I run Flipboard on my iPhone.

Quantity or quality?
  • Reply 72 of 162
    850K/day?.....prove it
  • Reply 73 of 162
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So I just skimmed all of your posts on this forum, and not a single one of them had anything positive to say about Apple. They are 100 % negative. So, conclusion is that you're a fucking blatant troll, and I'm not interested in your response, since they will all be 100% predictable. Why does someone who hates a company so much and has absolutely nothing good to say about them or their products post constantly on the a fansite forum? Why don't you visit and post in forums based on companies you actually like? I'd challenge anyone here to view your post history and argue otherwise. Oh and nice troll name. How pathetic.

I'm sorry but who cares if every other word out of this individuals mouth was negative or even down right nasty. I understand that your a fan of this company but that's all it is, a company. You had to pay for every toy you've gotten from them. They are not a charity or a religious group as many would have you believe. Apple is here to make business and money and doesn't care about you as an individual and would gladly kill your mother if it would mean a 1% increase in profit for the next quarter.

So please stop with the empty act of chivalry or mega fanboyism that you are displaying. We are all here to make conversation about something we enjoy or we wouldn't be here. Bad or good comments it all makes for good theater anyway so please sit back and enjoy.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Impressive. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

Thanks Mr. Omniscience.

Anyone who thinks 800 different devices running a wide variety of OS versions is impressive doesn't get business nor understand that most of those 800 items will have no long term future as these device makers will either be bankrupt or rolling back product plans in order to salvage the business from going into bankruptcy.

I won't even bother mentioning that 800 android derived devices range from a complete pile of crap to a modern, shiny device that still cannot get out of it's own platform rot and splintered distribution of applications.

Google's not actually winning and the extended debt this corporation is amassing just to keep from it's inertia overtaking it's aspirations for the digital world and leaving it to become nothing but a mature leader in search and ad placements doesn't impress anyone interested in determining where new markets will blossom and who will likely lead them.

By the way, over the past 12 months Google's stock is off $.73. You have to go back to late 2005 to see where there is any price points above today's close for more than a month in span.

It's debt is going to go up drastically over the next few years and Apple's bottom line will continue to explode upward.

Google overreached trying to be the next Microsoft and it shows.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    I know Google and Android exist, but I can only name three phones using that OS and two are from Samesung. That pretty much sums up how fvcked up the Android market is. No one can remember the damn names of all those phones, much less who makes them and what OS is on it or when it will get the latest one, if ever.
  • Reply 76 of 162
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm sorry but who cares if every other word out of this individuals mouth was negative or even down right nasty. I understand that your a fan of this company but that's all it is, a company. You had to pay for every toy you've gotten from them. They are not a charity or a religious group as many would have you believe. Apple is here to make business and money and doesn't care about you as an individual and would gladly kill your mother if it would mean a 1% increase in profit for the next quarter.

So please stop with the empty act of chivalry or mega fanboyism that you are displaying. We are all here to make conversation about something we enjoy or we wouldn't be here. Bad or good comments it all makes for good theater anyway so please sit back and enjoy.

Wow, such a pointless post. Apple isn't a charity or religion? Thanks for clearing that up, I don't need the 'Apple shouldn't be worshipped' talk. I'm displaying no fanboyism. I'm simply questioning why someone who does not care for Apple or any of its products in any way, shape, or form would choose to post incessantly on such a forum. It's a rational and logical question. I wasn't asking why he said something negative. I was asking why he's here considering 100% of his posts are negative. He dislikes Apple, yet posts on an Apple fansite. My explanation is that he's a troll, which is the most logical one. I'm open to other alternative explanations, but haven't been offered any.
  • Reply 77 of 162
    But how many fart apps does one need on Android?
  • Reply 78 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Seriously. This is what the Droidtards want. Choices, choices and more choices. Just browsing through all those new Android handsets on Engadget that are going to be released on the public makes my head spin. As it is, when you walk into a carrier store or a Best Buy, the array of a gazillion Android smartphones is enough to make any normal consumer turn and run away. I see no way that Android vendors can keep this sort of production up and running profitably. Just way too many models to deal with. The Android platform is being sliced into 800 tiny pieces which means most vendors only get crumbs of profit or none at all. It's insane.

Lol you hit it right on the head. The android vendors are not making money with the exception of samsung. Motorola has been bleeding for 2+ years, Sony dumped ericson and absorbed there phones back into the sony name, HTC is loosing money this quarter, they can not keep producing these phones at this rate and make money. There are SO many droid phones on the market and in channel inventory they have to do twofers and free give aways. Lol HTC had something like 12 different model phones that came out last year that is ridiculous.
  • Reply 79 of 162
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePhan View Post

850K/day?.....prove it

Prove any of the statistics that come from of any company, Apple included. Seriously though who cares. Apple makes products that have no business being anywhere near these market statistics. Nokia is the largest producer of cell phones in the world, fact. They've held that crown fora very long time but they are in financial disarray. Why, their margins on these crap phones are just to small. Apple is doing it right.

Oh I'm sorry boo hooh Apple isn't the leader of every god foreseeable mobile market out there. What the heck is wrong with you people. Who cares if Google's Android just so happens to be the OS of choice of sub 50 dollar third world piece of crap phones that no self respecting Apple user should care about.

In 1999 Apple was in real bad shape, today they are one of the largest companies in the world. Yet you still want more, you want Apple to be so large that there is no longer any competition left.

Uh guys, please calm down a little. Competition is a good thing, I don't want to live in a world that only has Apple products. Sorry, just me.
  • Reply 80 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

I don't hate Apple.

Sure you don't. And I don't hate Google and Adobe.