Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    I'm sure if we could look at how many apps were sold this could help a little with understanding the progress of a smartphone..if android apps sales are good then it tells a positive story - somehow i doubt the figures on that will be great.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you don't like it, then too bad.

Don't bother replying to me, because I have nothing more to say to your kind.

My kind. Having a formed opinion based on actual experience and use and not an opinion based on other peoples opinion and things read on the Internet. Shame to be educated.
  • Reply 123 of 162
    Andy forgot to mention that anytime you post on a forum or on Twitter about Android activations, it counts as an "activation"
  • Reply 124 of 162
    Quote:

And if somebody comes here for the sole purpose of hating Apple and talking trash, then they should just join iHateApple.com instead.

Slashdot?
  • Reply 125 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds about right. Is your van down by ther river under the over pass? Because you sound a lot like a motivational speaker about to crash a coffee table.

Dude, why don't you just ask him to ban you instead of acting all coy?
  • Reply 126 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung appears to be quite profitable. A couple other vendors seem to be just above the red but not much.

In fact, the profits from vendors using Android is so weighted in Samsungs favour that if Samsung forked Android to make it their own and/or created the Samsung Android Market (SAM) so that validated and tested apps, much like Apple's App Store, could be sold I think Samsung could essentially close out everyone else who tried to compete with an Android-based device.

And that's really my point. Does anyone think that Samsung is not thinking of forking Android or improving Bada or whatever? Anyone who thinks that any company but Motorola will enjoy most favored status in a couple of years is not thinking clearly. Google has some serious money to recoup, especially with some of the patent litigation not going there way. Further, both the EC and the US have strongly signalled that there are not buy into the use of FRAND patents as a weapon. Google and Motorola are going to end up with little light between them.

Honestly, I think the Google-Motorola merger is the best thing that happened for Microsoft who I think has learned that they do not want to be in the mobile hardware arena.
  • Reply 127 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Dude, why don't you just ask him to ban you instead of acting all coy?

I just don't get why I can't hate something and still use it.
  • Reply 128 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw Dreamweaver! Use Coda instead. I used TextEdit before Coda because even TextEdit is better than Dreamweaver.

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

The ability to quickly change the content from Design A to Design B makes it worthwhile for me. I'm just waiting for the day when some other program offers similar functionality.
  • Reply 129 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sould we bring back the old argument from the mid 1990s that Apple should license their OS or lose market share?

Beautiful. Thanks for making me laugh today.
  • Reply 130 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

And? why would I want to make my website look like everyone else's? Why would I want to make my website look like anything that someone else said 'looks good'?

In ALL of my web design courses, we were told that we would fail outright if we use templates. He was one of the best professors I ever had. He was basically a Steve Jobs of website design, I kid you not. Real laid-back guy with one of the best eyes for design I've ever met.

Gorgeous stuff, he did.
  • Reply 131 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you have nailed it. apple is crying all the way to the bank about those activation numbers...

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the efforts of Google and Amazon. Google in particular is simply trying to flood the market and to make Android basically ubiquitous for smartphones by sheer numbers. Consider it the Windows approach. The heavy subsidies and bargain basement sales are not to be ignored and will peel of some sales from Apple as the Kindle Fire has shown. (yes, it sucks, yes it's cheap, and yes, it actually made a dent in Apple's tablet marketshare when so many others have failed.) Amazon is also working to basically undersell it's products to create a foothold in the tablet market. With all of that said, it seems a pretty odd tactic and really stale, a la the Windows PC market that always seems to resort to a race to the bottom to have any sign of profitability. Apple's approach to not compromise on quality, consumer experience, and lowball markets has powerfully carried them through the recession and continues on today. The Q4 results with the 4S in the mix was a great example of how much demand there is for Apple's products. We will have to see how long Amazon and Google can continue to subsidize their own products (Google by way of paying for Android development through the use of funds from other services/products and Amazon through the "future Amazon sales via the device" approach. On that note, I'm not clear on how anyone would want a smartphone or tablet from anyone who is simply using it to track you and sell you more things. There's something about that which just doesn't smell right. I'd much rather go with Apple's approach of just trying to make a kickass smartphone that you can use for whatever.

Just watch as Google and/or the handset makers will have a revolving door of Mea Culpas about harvesting and tracking user data without the user's permission.
  • Reply 132 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Sorry Andy $13B > 800K
  • Reply 133 of 162
    I love my Mac and iDevices, but as far as I see, this is totally good news. More competition might finally encourage Apple to reduce their prices a bit.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    I can see some dirty kid riding a 15 year old moped through Mozambique talking on a cheap Android phone, but what I am seeing around Southern California is all iPhones all the time. It was like that in New York two years ago. I wasn't expecting it so fast here.

With dozens of device makers and thousands of devices, and they still can't beat Apple, it must be a bit unsettling for them. I wonder how that Star Trek Siri is coming along for them?
  • Reply 135 of 162
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Numbers actually matter to the Malware writers because for them the more the better, the older (OS) the better, the lower the H/W configuration the better.

I think there is an industry that Andriod created.
  • Reply 136 of 162
    Hello friends I am neha. I am new here. I interested in forums because forums is the best way to increase more knowledge about any topics.

rafting in rishikesh
  • Reply 137 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You know what they say about value of something. It is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Unlike gasoline which people need to get to work, nobody really needs a Mac, iPhone or iPad. They are luxury items. The only reason to lower the price would be if sales were slowing, which they are not. Do the shareholders want the prices reduced? I don't think so. They may want a dividend but not less revenue or share value.

Firstly they are not luxury items. That term is massively devalued. An entry level iPad is well within the reach of a McWorker - depending on the rest of his or her obligations, of course.

And the reason to lower the price would be to grab more market share.

Quote:

Of course it's not. And a lot of those activations are for bottom of the barrel Android phones in "developing" countries, which is a PC word for third world, poor as dirt countries. So who cares about their activation numbers, when the metric that matters the most, the almighty dollar, is where Apple is kicking Android's ass, every single day.

Except for Samsung. Its true that most Android manufacturers will bite the dust but the few that survive will be very big competition for Apple - as we see now. Samsung etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Thanks Mr. Omniscience.

Anyone who thinks 800 different devices running a wide variety of OS versions is impressive doesn't get business nor understand that most of those 800 items will have no long term future as these device makers will either be bankrupt or rolling back product plans in order to salvage the business from going into bankruptcy.

I won't even bother mentioning that 800 android derived devices range from a complete pile of crap to a modern, shiny device that still cannot get out of it's own platform rot and splintered distribution of applications.

Google's not actually winning and the extended debt this corporation is amassing just to keep from it's inertia overtaking it's aspirations for the digital world and leaving it to become nothing but a mature leader in search and ad placements doesn't impress anyone interested in determining where new markets will blossom and who will likely lead them.

By the way, over the past 12 months Google's stock is off $.73. You have to go back to late 2005 to see where there is any price points above today's close for more than a month in span.

It's debt is going to go up drastically over the next few years and Apple's bottom line will continue to explode upward.

Google overreached trying to be the next Microsoft and it shows.

What debt - Google's has $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand.
  • Reply 138 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure you don't. And I don't hate Google and Adobe.

Why would you spend energy hating a tech company? I highly doubt they even know you exist.

As per the other several nasty replies, this isn't a fansite for apple. It's not macfans or applefans. It's a place to read about rumors on upcoming products. Dunno why such a rapid cult atmosphere.
  • Reply 139 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Why would you spend energy hating a tech company? I highly doubt they even know you exist.

Many people hate Google because they know all too well you exist and everything else about your existence.
  • Reply 140 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Another thing to consider is accessories.

Docks, alarm clocks, boomboxes, all those musical interfaces that plug into the Apple Dock Connector, etc.

There are tons of those things available for the iPhone.

And with the new dock connector, all of those things are now obsolete.

And with record sales upcoming of iProducts, Apple and its licensees will resell new accessories in record numbers.

Apple and accessory makers: Win.

Consumers: ?