Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014


According to a statement from Google on Monday, the amount of content on the Android Market is nearing that of Apple's App Store as it now offers over 450,000 apps, which has helped Android devices see an activation rate of 850,000 handsets a day.



The numbers were announced in a tweet and subsequent blog post by Google's Senior Vice President of Mobile Andy Rubin from the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, Spain, an annual event that is the world's largest mobile industry exhibition and conference.



As the Android platform continues to gather steam, Rubin writes that the number of apps in the company's online marketplace has more than tripled since a year ago to more than 450,000, which nears the 550,000 iOS apps industry leader Apple currently offers through its iTunes App Store.



The internet search giant notes that over one billion Android apps are downloaded each month by the over 800 different devices that have launched since the OS was introduced in 2008. Unlike Apple, which tallies downloads only made from the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, Google is able to count app sales from a wide range of hardware partners like Samsung and Motorola.



With the bevy of OEMs dedicated to Android, Rubin noted that the platform's adoption rate had grown 250 percent year-to-year, and estimated that about 850,000 new devices are activated each day. He goes on to say that the total number of Android devices being used around the world has surpassed 300 million.





Andy Rubin tweets from MWC 2012. | Source: Twitter





[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13456789

Comments

  • galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Congrats Andy.
  • splash-reversesplash-reverse Posts: 648member
    Finally, numbers that make it clear that high adoption rates was due to the high number of Andriod device manufacturers versus ONE iPhone maker.



    But seriously, 800 since 2008?
  • ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    800..!!! what a mess...!!!!!
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,909member
    I'm not impressed at all.



    Unlike Apple, which is totally transparent and actually gives a breakdown of all devices it sells, there's no way to know what the breakdown and exact stats are with any of that fragmented Android baloney.



    Why should anybody trust those figures? What percentage of those phones are free phones? What do they have to hide? Release real figures, not some vague sounding tweet.
  • realitycheck69realitycheck69 Posts: 83member
    Impressive. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.
  • nexttechnocratinexttechnocrati Posts: 74member
    Any verifiable evidence to back up the numbers or just plain defensive arbitrary numbers from Rubin in light of iPhone and iPad surge in sales? All I know is that last quarter sales of HTC, LG and Motorola were down from the previous quarter unless Samsung covered a lot of grounds (which I doubt) to make up for the shortfall in HTC/LG/Motorola sales numbers.



    The best source of information is still the new activations data from the carriers which are materially different from Andy Rubin's numbers. In the US alone, iOS devices keep dominating the carriers wherevthese devices are available.



    Man up Mr. Rubin. Tell us the real score!
  • pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I'm not impressed at all.



    Unlike Apple, which is totally transparent and actually gives a breakdown of all devices it sells, there's no way to know what the breakdown and exact stats are with any of that fragmented Android baloney.



    Why should anybody trust those figures? What percentage of those phones are free phones? What do they have to hide? Release real figures, not some vague sounding tweet.



    They don't have "real" figures. They have activations. Google doesn't know how many phones are sold or what they sell for. They just know how many are being activated through their servers.
  • realitycheck69realitycheck69 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post


    Any verifiable evidence to back up the numbers or just plain defensive arbitrary numbers from Rubin in light of iPhone and iPad surge in sales? All I know is that last quarter sales of HTC, LG and Motorola were down from the previous quarter unless Samsung covered a lot of grounds (which I doubt) to make up for the shortfall in HTC/LG/Motorola sales numbers.



    The best source of information is still the new activations data from the carriers which are materially different from Andy Rubin's numbers. In the US alone, iOS devices keep dominating the carriers wherevthese devices are available.



    Man up Mr. Rubin. Tell us the real score!



    You got him, he's lying. Lol what the hell are you zealots smoking?
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,874member, moderator
    Apple is doomed!
  • pokepoke Posts: 506member
    300 million units sold / 800 different devices = average Android phone sells 375,000 units.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They were at 700k activations in December so their growth rate is slagging off fast.
  • sflocalsflocal Posts: 3,419member
    Does anyone know if a user is counted as as activation again if their Android phone breaks and they get a replacement one?



    Just about every person I know (more than one) that owns an Android phone has went through several replacements simply because of its shoddy quality.



    Note to self: Cheap junk outsells pricier models.
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,874member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Does anyone know if a user is counted as as activation again if their Android phone breaks and they get a replacement one?



    Just about every person I know (more than one) that owns an Android phone has went through several replacements simply because of its shoddy quality.



    Note to self: Cheap junk outsells pricier models.



    My experience as well.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Does anyone know if a user is counted as as activation again if their Android phone breaks and they get a replacement one?



    Just about every person I know (more than one) that owns an Android phone has went through several replacements simply because of its shoddy quality.



    Note to self: Cheap junk outsells pricier models.



    From Andy Rubin back in December:
    "For those wondering, we count each device only once (i.e., we don't count re-sold devices), and "activations" means you go into a store, buy a device [and] put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."
    Also, I have previously run the numbers and found that the stated calculations (at least from comparing the timelines) are accurate with an average activation, not just a good day that happened to peak on their stated activations.
  • agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post


    You got him, he's lying. Lol what the hell are you zealots smoking?



    A daily dose of Denial.
  • slurpyslurpy Posts: 4,472member
    800 different devices? Holy shit. Might as well have 800 different versions of the OS too, because thats basically what it comes down to. But wait, this is 'good' for consumers because they have 'choice'. And that choices is hundreds of hundreds of different pieces of hardware without a single one being truly optimized or the ideal experience. Also, I love the fact that 5 iPhone model since launch are almost equal in sales to 800+ models of phones.



    Android is 'winning'. Which is why phones being introduced now at MWC2012 and to be released in the future will be running Gingerbread, an ancient OS, when ICS was released 4 months ago. I guess it takes 6+ months to apply a shitty skin and see who can fuck up ICS the most. The fact that these companies have the gall to launch phones running gingerbread in Q2 2012, when ICS is such a significant update, shows how little they care about the end user experience. The fact that only ~ 1% of the Android user-base is running the lastest major version of the OS released months ago is such a horrible situation. I'm assuming byt the time Jellybean launches, they'll have a full 3% of users or so on ICS. And they really expect app developers to take advantage of new OS features at this rate? What a mess.
  • santoandersonsantoanderson Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    From Andy Rubin back in December:
    "For those wondering, we count each device only once (i.e., we don't count re-sold devices), and "activations" means you go into a store, buy a device [and] put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."



    I have friends and family members that jump around between carriers a lot, and every time they jump to a different carrier, and ditch the old one, they get a brand new (typically Android) phone that was free or next-to-free upon activation. Do those count as "Re-sold" devices?
  • michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,856member
    MotoHTCSamsungLGAsusZTEAcerSony outsells Apple...



    Shocking...
  • realitycheck69realitycheck69 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    800 different devices? Holy shit. Might as well have 800 different versions of the OS too, because thats basically what it comes down to. But wait, this is 'good' for consumers because they have 'choice'. And that choices is hundreds of hundreds of different pieces of hardware without a single one being truly optimized or the ideal experience. Also, I love the fact that 5 iPhone model since launch are almost equal in sales to 800+ models of phones.



    Android is 'winning'. Which is why phones being introduced now at MWC2012 and to be released in the future will be running Gingerbread, an ancient OS, when ICS was released 4 months ago. I guess it takes 6+ months to apply a shitty skin and see who can fuck up ICS the most. The fact that only ~ 1% of the Android user-base is running the lastest major version of the OS released months ago is such a horrible situation. I'm assuming byt the time Jellybean launches, they'll have a full 3% of users or so on ICS. And they really expect app developers to take advantage of new OS features at this rate? What a mess.



    You seem awfully angry. Unless you have skin in the game, I would seek help.
  • sflocalsflocal Posts: 3,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    From Andy Rubin back in December:
    "For those wondering, we count each device only once (i.e., we don't count re-sold devices), and "activations" means you go into a store, buy a device [and] put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."



    Thanks Solips. I still think there is a grey area there. I'm not necessarily referring to resold devices.



    An individual with a wireless plan has a broken phone, they get a new phone, not a resold-phone. That phone has to be activated on the network. Activation+?



    An individual's contract allows an upgrade to a better phone. They upgrade to the latest Android iPhone-clone and retire their old phone. Activation+?



    An individual was an AT&T Android user, they jump ship and go to Verizon and get phone. Activation?
Sign In or Register to comment.