Is my iSub not functioning properly?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Shortly after I bought my iSub to go with my Apple Pro Speakers, it started to make weird noises when the bass was high. Like something rattling was inside of it. I don't see anything there though. I decided to temporarily set it on top of a box and low and behold it works just fine. It only rattles when it is sitting on my desk or on the ledge underneath the desk. I don't have as much bass anymore but the sound is extremely clear. Does anyone else with a similar setup have this problem with the iSub or should I take it back for a new one? (Damn I hope I can find the reciept!) Thanks.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: wolfeye155 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Are you sure its not just the iSub itself rattling? When placed on a totally rigid surface like a desk, are all the feet in contact with the surface?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    could it be certain music files that you played??

test to see if certain files cause yr isub to rattle
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I have the same problem. Sometimes it almost sounds like theres a crack in the cone. (don't worry there isn't)

This is what I have to do to get around it. Unplug the USB cable for your iSub, and plug it back in. (I know that must sound like a typical Micro$oft "help desk" answer, but I just don't know what the problem is)

I've tried to see if there is any documentation online from Harmon Kardon and Apple, but I have never found anything relating to that problem.

good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    If it's the original iSub the reason you are getting the crackle is because OS X 10.1.x does not support it. Jaguar does however. My iSub is sounding sweet with it.

Just wait for Jaguar, don't take back your iSub.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Jay Contonio:

<strong>If it's the original iSub the reason you are getting the crackle is because OS X 10.1.x does not support it. Jaguar does however. My iSub is sounding sweet with it.

Just wait for Jaguar, don't take back your iSub.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what the heck was all that BS about isub not being compatible with jaguar? who started that dumbass rumor anyway?? i waited 5 long months and didnt buy it until i made them connect an isub to a machine running 10.2 in the store. (i just got my isub this week.) all that agonizing for nothing!

so how does jaguar make it sounds better? (mine already sounds good, but i'll take better.)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>so how does jaguar make it sounds better? (mine already sounds good, but i'll take better.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the sound prefs you can *finally* adjust the iSub's volume separately from main volume, for one thing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Jay Contonio:

<strong>If it's the original iSub the reason you are getting the crackle is because OS X 10.1.x does not support it. Jaguar does however. My iSub is sounding sweet with it.

Just wait for Jaguar, don't take back your iSub.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What?s different about the original iSub vs. what they sell now?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i know that the light glows green on one and blue on another...i know that the orginal was 99 bucks and the new one is 59 bucks...i know that they didn't offer sound sticks when the original came out....other than that, i don't think there is much difference between old and new iSub....g
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The iSub is designed to sit on carpets or other soft surfaces, not desks. See the user's guide.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>i know that the light glows green on one and blue on another...i know that the orginal was 99 bucks and the new one is 59 bucks...i know that they didn't offer sound sticks when the original came out....other than that, i don't think there is much difference between old and new iSub....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

They're very different ... The SoundSticks sub has a volume control knob, the standalone iSub doesn't. And you could not swap a standalone iSub in for the SoundSticks sub. The internals are different. They just look the same from the outside.

Also, the SoundSticks can be used with many more Macs than the iSub can.

Do they even sell the standalone iSub anymore?

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    anyone have those new jbl creature speakers? how do they compare to soundsticks? are they compatible with jag?