Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is improving file renaming

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Don't forget Windows Mobile 7 didn't have cut & paste when it released. Funny the same press who slammed Apple when they didn't have it excused MS for the same omission even though they had a much more extensive history with mobile OS'.

From everything I've seen, WinMo sucks big time. Anybody who would even consider it is a schmuck.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Surprised no one has yet mentioned the best open and save dialogs in Macs: use Default Folder by St. Clair Software. I've loved it since at least System 9, maybe earlier. You can rename and delete files in open and save dialogs. More useful its ability to quickly go to recently used folder, favorites, and folders open in Finder. Better than standard Mac dialogs and better than Windows (and I use both a lot). Unfortunately nothing as good for Windows the last time I checked.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Not liking the gray buttons everywhere, though. What happened to nice and visible aqua "default" button that activates when pressing Return or Enter?
  • Reply 44 of 65
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Don't forget Windows Mobile 7 didn't have cut & paste when it released. Funny the same press who slammed Apple when they didn't have it excused MS for the same omission even though they had a much more extensive history with mobile OS'.

Sshhhhhhh. That doesn't make the point he was trying to make.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Very disappointed to see that the Finder sidebar is still full of dull gray icons.

The lack of color in the OS needs to be addressed ASAP.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

HOORAY! About F*cking time!

Speak for yourself. I use Windows almost every day and recognise the [very, very small number of] ways in which it is superior to OS X.

I agree and it's the little things like a maximise button that actually works. Explorer is much better too than finder. I hate the notification centre with a passion though but I like the taskbar at the top in OSX to quickly see things.

My typical day is RDP sessions from my Snow Leopard machine into MS 2003 or 2008 boxes. MS's OSX version of RDP is crap too.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    There are very few features of Windows that I like over my beloved Mac, but the ability to manipulate the file system from within a save dialog is one I've always liked, and used frequently.

I've added this ability to my Mac with Default Folder, but nice to see the feature added to the Finder.

Personally, I hope they include delete as well. With a safety-catch dialog box to prevent inadvertent deletes, I see more good than harm.

The only other feature I can think of that I use in WinEx (and not part of Finder) is copy/paste of directory path. I think it is doable in MacOSX, just clumsy. I end up opening another window and navigating.

Now, how about tabbed Finder windows, with the ability to link two of the tabs to form a dual pane for file movement?

I use TotalFinder, Forklift, or Pathfinder for this. The problems with Forklift and Pathfinder is the lack of integration. TotalFinder would be perfect, but it drops the ability to option-click the close window button. I tend to open a lot of windows, and that feature is missed. TF also crashes at times, although it doesn't take my machine with it.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Am I the only one to have not yet used the new Lion (let alone ML) functions?

Never use versions, since they are not supported in the apps I use - and I do not find clicking or even just looking at the title bar of a window for any file function very intuitive.

Btw, I loathe open/save dialog boxes on Windows and Mac. I mostly open files by drag & dropping them into the window of the already open program. Often I save to the desktop and distribute files to their server volumes afterwards.

I was taught this trick (on Windows 95) by an old time Mac user. :-)
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Mountain Lion can't be worse than OS X 10.7 Vista.

My man!

I am getting so excited with the added functionality ml is getting and by the fact that by 10.8 os x 10.7.5 or so might also be relatively bug free

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Very disappointed to see that the Finder sidebar is still full of dull gray icons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Not liking the gray buttons everywhere, though. What happened to nice and visible aqua "default" button that activates when pressing Return or Enter?

Guys relax, os x 10.7 onwards is all about content, who cares about visibility? Isn't it nice how grey sidebars and buttons are not interfering with our content, our files? Our files just take center stage, we might not be able to tell where the hell to click to get to them but this quite distracting green of the downloads folder on our sidebar isn't attracting attention to itself anymore!
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

You don't have small children. "It's so easy even your kid can do it.. and they will".

"Honey, where are my TPS reports?"

"Oh, they've been renamed $#@!@!.534elmo by your son."

Um, the problem there would be that you let the kid use your business account. I'm sure your IT department will have a thing or two to tell you about that, too.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Now if they'd just let us expand the Save dialogue window to add metadata and keywords to a file. Having to go through the Finder and Cmd-I is a pain.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This just in:

Mac OS X 10.9 will be called 'Cowardly Lion':

www.scoopertino.com
  • Reply 53 of 65
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Ugh, please no.

It looks much better this way, IMO.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    It's funny but you are literally the first person I ve read who says the finder id better this way,, most apologists for lion don't mention it, or ignore the argument, or say something about new design paradigms, or all about content or something similar, but to come upfront and claim it's actually better... I ve not heard anyone before. Comes to show how rubbish the monochromatic sidebar is, and at the very least it needs a settings switch for on or off.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

at the very least it needs a settings switch for on or off.

This. There is no good reason not to give the user the choice of colour or grey; all it would take is a radio button in Finder preferences.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Both OS X 10.7 and Windows 7 are very good OSes.

Personally I don't like W7. Things were just fine on XP, I still don't understand why companies upgrade to W7. But it's being forced upon the employees, so no choice there. At home, happily use OSX. W7 may be good for some, or a whole lot, just not to me. The movement of the pinned shortcuts in the toolbar or whatever it's called (QuickLaunch in IE4.1SP2) drives me nuts. The icon gets expanded if the program is running, but becomes small when quitting. Right-click on that icon first gives a 3-options shortcut menu, only to become a larger shortcut menu when it has added a list of recent files for that program. Not a problem, but the initial location of the first 3-option shortcut gets bumped up a little, and the 'Exit' option gets moved. This is extremely annoying when you want to close a whole shitload of programs. That amongst other things make W7 a hassle for me to use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

For example the system will generate filenames with massive names, e.g. filenames in the Temporary Internet Files folder, but when you want to do anything with those files, like say copy a profile out of the profile directory in order to eliminate profile problems it will tell you that it can't copy/move some files because the name is incorrect.

That behavior is beyond comprehension to me as well. And the fact that you can rename files in the CLI with characters that are not allowed in Explorer.exe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

Still there is not quick way to rename or save as file with shortcut key

Already answered by someone, but rename just by hitting enter. That shortcut is the shortest cut to rename a file. That's probably why it isn't even available in the contextual popup after a right-click, or a 'File/Rename... from the pulldown menu.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdc1952 View Post

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the best open and save dialogs in Macs: use Default Folder by St. Clair Software.

That wouldn't make any sense as the discussion is about OSX, not software from a different company.

Quote:

I too want the colors back. That, and the fact that network shares in the sidebar used to auto-mount when dropping a file on the icon has stopped working, I believe with 10.6

Quote:

This. There is no good reason not to give the user the choice of colour or grey; all it would take is a radio button in Finder preferences.

And one in the iTunes prefs please!

It would even make the look more consistent with 3 pulldown menus and 3 checkboxes.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's funny but you are literally the first person I ve read who says the finder id better this way,, most apologists for lion don't mention it, or ignore the argument, or say something about new design paradigms, or all about content or something similar, but to come upfront and claim it's actually better... I ve not heard anyone before.

Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know of such a requirement. Here goes: I'm lovin' it. Get the OS out of my face, please: the more toned down, the better.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 58 of 65
    in SL and Lion you can do this already: click the file once, wait a second and click again, et voila you can edit the name right there....
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:

And an entirely different set of UI Images, doubling the size.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And an entirely different set of UI Images, doubling the size.

This is not a serious comment, right? Where will I find the space for a few kb of images on my 500 GB HDD?