Apple to hold March 7 iPad event in San Francisco

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple on Tuesday sent out official invitations for a media event to be held next Wednesday, March 7, in San Francisco where it is expected to introduce its next-generation iPad.

The March 7 event will be held at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., the same place the last two iPad unveilings have been held. The invitation features a finger pushing down on an iOS calendar icon with March 7 as the date.

"We have something you really have to see. And touch," the invitation reads.

The inclusion that people will "have to see" the new device is likely a reference to the high-resolution Retina Display that Apple is expected to add to its next-generation iPad. Rumors have suggested the display will have a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, which would be twice the resolution of the 1,024-by-768 screen found on the iPad 2.

In fact, the invitation itself could even be a picture of the new iPad display. The image does show a very crisp iPad screen that could be a higher resolution than the current iPad 2.

Apple's invitations went out only moments after financial network CNBC incorrectly claimed that the next iPad would be unveiled at an event in New York next week. However, reporter Jon Fortt quickly followed up to explain that he has heard that New York will play a "key" role in next week's announcement.

The March 7 event date has been expected for weeks now, but Tuesday's invitations were the first official confirmation of the media briefing from Apple. Recent reports out of the Far East have suggested that Apple could offer near-immediate availability of the new iPad, with claims that the new devices are already being shipped to the U.S as retailers cut prices of existing iPad 2 models by $50 to .

Apple's March 7 event invitation, via The Loop.

The last few weeks have seen a whirlwind of iPad-related rumors in anticipation of the event. Another purported leak from a Chinese microblogging site has suggested that Apple's high-definition Retina Display could add a previously unexpected $80 premium to the price of the iPad, pushing the entry level price up to $579 for the Wi-Fi-only 16GB model. All Wi-Fi models would see an $80 price boost, the documents suggest, while 3G-capable models would see their prices rise $70 each.

Other changes to the iPad are expected to be largely internal, with evidence of a faster processor and potential 4G LTE connectivity having surfaced in recent weeks. On the outside, the next iPad is expected to look largely the same, with an external case featuring edges slightly more tapered than the iPad 2.

Another leak showed a purported "iPad 3" logic board, featuring a processor labeled "A5X," suggesting the chip could be a more powerful version of the A5 CPU currently found in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S rather than a full-fledged "A6" upgrade. Reports have also been divided as to whether the next iPad will be powered by a quad-core processor or a dual-core CPU.

For more, see AppleInsider's full and extensive coverage of all things "iPad 3" leading up to next week's official unveiling.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230
    I've got my 800 bucks ready.
  • Reply 2 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday sent out official invitations for a media event to be held next Wednesday, March 7, in San Francisco where it is expected to introduce its next-generation iPad.

The March 7 event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., the same place the last two iPad unveilings have been held. The invitation features a finger pushing down on an iOS calendar icon with March 7 as the date.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

There goes the credibility of CBNC. Bye Bye!!
  • Reply 3 of 230
    Zomg! Zomg! Zomg!
  • Reply 4 of 230
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Would be nice to see the image of the invite

Edit : image was added later, now its there. It does look like the new ipad has a better resolution than ipad2
  • Reply 5 of 230
    Looking forward for the keynote. I hope they do the streaming thing again. Tim Cook had now enough practice to give a nice show together with his team.
  • Reply 6 of 230
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

The March 7 event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., the same place the last two iPad unveilings have been held.

LMAO @ CNBC's tweet from this morning:

• Reply 7 of 230
    Ready to leap from iPad 1 to iPad 3. Justifying it by making the new Pad the replacement for upgrading my iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 230
    The only thing I really want is for Apple to resurrect the live stream of these events. They did it for the "Back To the Mac" and "iPad2" events, then stopped (though live streaming the WWDC keynote, since it wasn't tied to any hardware announcements was probably wise...).

Sifting through the liveblogs is it's own kind of fun, but a live stream would be even better.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good one.
  • Reply 9 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Looking forward for the keynote. I hope they do the streaming thing again. Tim Cook had now enough practice to give a nice show together with his team.

seriously, streaming would be amazing and i'm sure millions of people are waiting for it.
  • Reply 10 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Zomg! Zomg! Zomg!

What are Zomgs? I have no idea.
  • Reply 11 of 230
    Bout time. Would love it to have a 12-14 hour battery life. I'd easily accept 2mm thicker for a longer runtime. Easier to grip too for those with large hands.

EDIT: Was hoping for a move clever announcement ala iphone 4s.
  • Reply 12 of 230
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

What are Zomgs? I have no idea.

Zombie OMGs?
  • Reply 13 of 230
    By comparing the image of my iPad 2 and the image in the invitation... its a Retina Display
  • Reply 14 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Ready to leap from iPad 1 to iPad 3. Justifying it by making the new Pad the replacement for upgrading my iMac.

My wive will leap from iPad 1 to iPad 2. As a consequence I will be forced to leap from iPad 2 to iPad 3.
  • Reply 15 of 230
    Quote:

There goes the credibility of CBNC. Bye Bye!!

If credibility was the criterion for existence, CNBC, Fox, Forbes, WSJ would all be out of business.
  • Reply 16 of 230
    Whiners start your WHAAmbulences.
  • Reply 17 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Zombie OMGs?

Oh! I see.
  • Reply 18 of 230
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    sweet.. can't wait!
  • Reply 19 of 230
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Would be nice to see the image of the invite

Yep. Let's hope the image in the article is not it because that image does not have the Jobs-ian-like seal of approval. You would think they could have done a better job selecting the hand model. IMO
  • Reply 20 of 230
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Bring it! I'm ready!