iPad trade-ins up 10x on eBay as new models loom

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A far more likely scenario is like the iPhone - which would suggest that the iPad 2 would stay around at $399 - with only one configuration (or maybe two to allow for WiFi and 3G models).

It's not anywhere close to the iPhone scenario. iPhone, the difference is between $200 and $100 (people just don't include contract in their calculation), while for iPad3, a $499 iPad with retina display and other improvements vs a $399 iPad2, only the brain-dead would get the iPad2.

I say the highest they can charge iPad2 will be $349, but only $299 or lower would be a hit.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

It's not anywhere close to the iPhone scenario. iPhone, the difference is between $200 and $100 (people just don't include contract in their calculation), while for iPad3, a $499 iPad with retina display and other improvements vs a $399 iPad2, only the brain-dead would get the iPad2.

I say the highest they can charge iPad2 will be $349, but only $299 or lower would be a hit.

You're absolutely wrong. The iPhone 4 and 4S are also available on Apple's web site without a subsidy. The iPhone 4 is $549 and the iPhone 4S is $649 (and up). So if iPhone 4 is $549 and iPhone 4S is $649, how is that different from iPad 2 at $399 and iPad 3 at $499 (or maybe more)?

There's no way Apple is going to drop the price of the iPad 2 to $299.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm keeping my iPad 1. Historically interesting as the first really successful tablet in computer history. But definitely getting a 3 too!

Me too. I brought an iPad1 64 GB 3G, and i've kept it. I brought an iPad2 when they came out, I sold it 2 weeks ago, all ready for iPad3.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don?t know how the iPad can possibly survive in the face of bargain-priced tablets like Kindle, PlayBook, and... used iPads!

There?s the REAL deal for a tablet-shopper on a tight budget: wait for late winter and grab a 1-or-2-year old iPad model. (Even an iPad 1 is a great machine still for most purposes.)

Yawn. For how many year do we need to listen to people who fail to observe and process history? Yet are quite adept at describing the future.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Cannot wait to get a new one with that razor sharp screen.

Still shiny by the looks of it though. Nokia have some polarisation tech that at least helps in daylight even though reflections are still visible:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/06/n...display-works/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5cNByXGVs
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't see any way that Apple will make the iPad 2 $299. That's just the people who want to drive down Apple's share price making wild predictions so that when Apple fails to meet them, the stock drops.

A far more likely scenario is like the iPhone - which would suggest that the iPad 2 would stay around at $399 - with only one configuration (or maybe two to allow for WiFi and 3G models).

I think lower priced iPad2 is likely as they have used that strategy with the iPhones with some success. We can speculate all day on what the price would be. Only the lack of an entry level iPad AT ALL would cause major criticism. I doubt it would hurt their stock price though. The final asking price of the entry-level model is probably less relevant as long as Apple shows willingness to offer an entry price under $500.

Apple has survived for years as a "premium" product and will continue to do so. But I think that in the case of iOS devices, neither Apple or their shareholders want to lose market dominance. Now, don't attack me. They have to loose a LOT of ground before that happens so I do not think it is a pressing issue in the short-term. I do think failing to introduce a $349-399 iPad model though COULD lessen the gap between Apple and Amazon. Still, Apple has plenty of time to react. I just think the whole tablet market is way more interesting then it was a year ago.

And for the record, if you are on AppleInsider and commenting on articles, I can guarantee a $399 iPad would not be targeted at you.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don?t know how the iPad can possibly survive in the face of bargain-priced tablets like Kindle, PlayBook, and... used iPads!

There?s the REAL deal for a tablet-shopper on a tight budget: wait for late winter and grab a 1-or-2-year old iPad model. (Even an iPad 1 is a great machine still for most purposes.)

You serious? The iPad is currently and for the foreseeable future the best tablet out there.

It lacks some things IMO that make it not appealing to me but for anyone looking for a tablet to suggest anything other than an iPad is damn near criminal.

While I do like the Android ICS tablets coming out the ecosystem is too subpar.

Windows 8 may be something to look at but right now it's still "Vapor"
  • Reply 28 of 32
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I am trading my iPad now because new blah blah blah has been anounced. Can't wait to get my hands on blah blah blah.

I bet a lot of people who settled for an iPad while waiting for blah blah blah tablet are now trading in their iPads.

This is literally how my mind parses posts of this nature. I'd be interested to know if I'm the only one.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Sold my 16gb iPad two weeks ago for £250. They're going for £180 now that there are so many on there so looks like I made the right move.

Damn I miss it, hope it's an early march launch. Oh well, one week until we know!

I have a buyer coming to purchase my 16 GB wifi model for £300 today.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I got £301 for mine.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I got £301 for mine.

LOL. Actually my transaction was in another currency but well done.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Yup. I sold my wifi 16 gig iPad 2 yesterday evening for $425. Thank you Craigslist! Anybody who is planning on selling an iPad in order to buy an iPad 3: the time to do it is right NOW. By Wednesday of next week, prices for used iPads will probably drop like a stone, especially if Apple starts selling a new iPad 2 for $399 or even $349. Already, Best Buy sells a new iPad 2 for $450 and Apple is selling iPad 2 refurbs for $419. Prices will come down next week in a big way. That's great for buyers but bad news for people selling used iPads.