Apple said to be considering a 14-inch MacBook Air for Asian markets

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

A new rumor claims Apple is weighing the prospect of a new 14-inch MacBook Air model designed specifically to cater to the Asian PC market.

Mass production of the 14-inch thin-and-light notebook may , DigiTimes reported on Wednesday. Apple is said to be considering the 14-inch screen size for the notebook because it is a popular form factor unique to the region.

Currently, the MacBook Air is only available in screen sizes of 11.6 inches and 13.3 inches. There have been rumors that Apple is planning to launch a new 15-inch model of the MacBook Air at some point this year, expanding its ultraportable lineup to a larger screen size.

But while Western countries prefer the 15-inch screen size, in the Asia market, 14-inch notebooks account for as much as 40 percent of sales. It's because of the market's "fondness for 14-inch models" that Apple is said to be considering a screen size specifically for that region.

"The sources analyzed that Apple is currently turning its targets from North American and Europe to Asia, and is eyeing the China market as its major market since the company still has strong potential in the country," the report reads. "The consideration of a 14-inch MacBook Air would be an indication the company will become even more aggressive about the China market."

An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.

With Apple expected to dramatically redesign its high-end MacBook Pro lineup this year, there has been some question as to whether a new thin-and-light 15-inch notebook would be an "Air" or a "Pro" notebook. Earlier this month, AppleInsider quoted a person familiar with Apple's new MacBook Pro designs who indicated: "They're all going to look like MacBook Airs."

Apple's next generation of notebooks are expected to be powered by Intel's Ivy Bridge processors. This week, an official from the chipmaker stated that the CPUs have been delayed, and will go on sale eight to 10 weeks later than originally planned, likely in June.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".
  • Reply 2 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".

Companies consider many things that never see the light of day. Rumors have it that Apple did have a 15" AIR sometime ago, but for various rumored reasons canned it.

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

As an aside I wonder why they wouldn't consider such a machine for the US market. While only an inch that bigger screen could be very valuable for those that find the 13" screen just to small. More so it might free up space for another blade storage module. An inch goes a very long way in these Ultra books.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Color me skeptical. They don't have a history of designing products based on surveys.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    On this category, mobility is paramount. Just bring the 400 to 600 g MacBook Air. Ideal for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket or purse. Always. For heavy work, just get a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

Agreed. The best thing Steve did was to simplify the product line. There's no imaginable reason to sell a 13 inch laptop in one country and a 14 inch in another. Or two that are so close in size in the same country for that matter.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    A rumor about 15" or 17" iPad would be more exciting. I am still convinced the is a market for a larger iPad. A desk version if you will.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Do they still bother with inches in China?

I thought that the US, Liberia, and Myanmar were the only countries left in the world stuck with this piece of atavism?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

13 is in US, but MBA 13" seems to be selling pretty well in US.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

I'm sure that 13 and 15 have loyal fans. Would consolidation to a 14 make any sense? That would more than avoid fragmentation...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

Examples?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but for the life of me I can't remember Apple doing specific products for a geographical area.

I distinctly remember reading that the "iPhone was doomed!(TM)" in Japan, for example, because it was different that other Japanese cell phones at that time. (How did that work out, BTW?)
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do they still bother with inches in China?

I thought that the US, Liberia, and Myanmar were the only countries left in the world stuck with this piece of atavism?

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination.

While the dimensions in the tech specs will definitely be quoted in metric measurements, the same of the model still refers to the inch measurement. A 13" MacBook does not become a 33 cm. MacBook elsewhere.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

DigiTimes

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    One thing that's pretty clear - Apple will have larger computers than the current MBA which take some design cues (lighter, thinner) from the MBA. Whether they'll actually be MBAs or what their specs look like is anyone's guess - but Digitimes is the LEAST likely source to have the answer.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Yes. And the potential to sell MILLIONS to an overly eager Chinese/Asian market, means, guess what? They can buy millions of the same 14" screen part at a knock down price.

Your own argument invalidates your point.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.

Really? Because I watch Apple rumors since 2003, and Digi Times has been proven right many times.

(And some times it's not even that a rumor site was wrong, it's that Apple decided to change course).
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Agreed. The best thing Steve did was to simplify the product line. There's no imaginable reason to sell a 13 inch laptop in one country and a 14 inch in another

There IS a reason, if the country has 1.3 BILLION consumers -- and lots of them are forming long lines for your iPhone and such already...
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

There IS a reason, if the country has 1.3 BILLION consumers -- and lots of them are forming long lines for your iPhone and such already...

And that means what? There's absolutely no sense in a single inch increase. There is no sense in selling a 13", 14", and 15" computer at the same time.

Apple doesn't cover every fringe case. Apple doesn't cater to people on the edges.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I said a while ago that I thought Apple might go with new sizes for the new MB range:

12" & 14" MBA

16" & 18" MBP

If they eliminate the border around the screen and go with an edge to edge screen instead they should be able to increase the screen size without increasing the overall footprint of the machines.