Apple stalls Apple TV shipments ahead of iPad 3-compatible refresh

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Nah I think BT 4.0 replaces IR or at the least adds to it.

I hope you're right because IR sucks BIG TIME.
  • Reply 62 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hope you're right because IR sucks BIG TIME.

Let's cross our fingers. BT 4.0 improves the range by 50% and the latency (6ms) by a factor of 15x. It pairs up in 3ms as well

If there's one thing I hate about BT is the long pairing process.
  • Reply 63 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Just having a "home" button on the remote would be a material improvement for both issues - I hate being several tiers down in the Podcasts or Netflix menu and have to keep *blip* *blip* *blip*ing my way to the main menu screen.

That's a brilliant idea despite its simplicity. People know what the Home Button does and Apple clearly sees what iOS familiarity can do for Mac OS.
    I would like to see a render of this remote with a Home Button. TS? Anyone?

Quote:

Let's cross our fingers. BT 4.0 improves the range by 50% and the latency (6ms) by a factor of 15x. It pairs up in 3ms as well

If there's one thing I hate about BT is the long pairing process.

Those are specs for the normal BT 4.0 profile, not for low-power BT 4.0, right/ What kind of power draw would this take and how much larger would the remote have to be in order to be useful for a month of normal use without charging or would there be a charging unit supplied with the remote?
  • Reply 64 of 118
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    like everyone, i surely expect a 1080p ATV 3. that's nice i guess.

what i absolutely have to have tho is an entirely new Remote App to control it. the IR candybar clicker is tedious, and the current iPad/iPhone app really sucks, just mimicking its clumsy cursor control with a touchpad. that UI could be vastly improved. and all-important volume control added for the optical sound output.

Apple's iCloud/AirPlay/Screen Mirroring have pretty much answered all my other other issues from years past, like wanting to plug in an external storage drive for a home media server (assuming the minor bugs get fixed), or having a great on-screen web browser.

but the big breakthrough would be adding some HDMI inputs so the ATV 3 (now 1080p capable) can provide the vital task of input switching via the Remote App in the easiest and most elegant way. with integrated new apps from cablecos and other hardware OEM's automatically popping up to control the device whose input you select via your LAN without need for an IR dongle. like today's multi-purpose TiVo app, for example.

after that, all your next HDTV would need to be is a simple monitor. save some $'s.
  • Reply 65 of 118
    The writing is on the wall...iCloud is Apple's answer to Not having large/expensive storage. That's the reason ATV is $99 and not $299!

The people who want to carry all their songs in their pocket are the minority and not up with the times.

The future is small, thin, light, mobile gadgets that are relatively cheap. Think iPhones, iPads, MBA's, iTouches, etc.

HP, Dell, MS, Google, etc. are dinosaurs compared to Apple! Their draconian approach is laughable. Bascially make creaky, plasticky hardware with annoying interfaces, and horrible, clunky software! Ugh!
  • Reply 66 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The writing is on the wall...iCloud is Apple's answer to Not having large/expensive storage. That's the reason ATV is $99 and not $299!

The people who want to carry all their songs in their pocket are the minority and not up with the times.

The future is small, thin, light, mobile gadgets that are relatively cheap. Think iPhones, iPads, MBA's, iTouches, etc.

HP, Dell, MS, Google, etc. are dinosaurs compared to Apple! Their draconian approach is laughable. Bascially make creaky, plasticky hardware with annoying interfaces, and horrible, clunky software! Ugh!

It's even better.

Apple's ability to leverage the cloud helps reduce the immediate need for local NAND storage. But they've covered both ends well because the Anobit acquisition allows them to make it affordable to increase local NAND storage when the need arises.

Winning!
  • Reply 67 of 118
    Quote:

It's even better.

Apple's ability to leverage the cloud helps reduce the immediate need for local NAND storage. But they've covered both ends well because the Anobit acquisition allows them to make it affordable to increase local NAND storage when the need arises.

Winning!

Yep, ur right I forgot about that!
  • Reply 68 of 118
    I think the iPad 3 + 1080p tv w/Bluetooth 4.0 is Apple's "cracking the TV".

Since the iPad 3 will have > 1080p resolution, and because Bluetooth 4.0 will have more reliably fast transfer rates than home network Wi-Fi, imagine an iPad "Apple TV app" mirroring exactly what's on your TV, on your iPad. This means you can finally touch your way through a TV interface in iOS.

Tumblred this today:

http://gizmocado.tumblr.com/
  • Reply 69 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Wouldn't even those numbers be conservative? A 1080p blu-ray is 18-45GB for the movie alone.

They aren't likely to use full blu-ray bit rate, because of he size issue. Not to mention the studio would likely never allow it
  • Reply 70 of 118
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, you just have to think about wasting electricity and making sure you have your computer on and iTunes open for absolutely no reason.

what a worthless comment. I have those items running anyway. No reason? Pretty damn good reason if you ask me.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why would they announce both on the same day?

Seems odd to me. The iPad would steal Apple TV's thunder.

You assume that they are making a full tv or even would mention th Apple TV in the keynote.

They might not do either.

Or it could be a new set top box that gets a casual mention at the end of the hour, as an accessory to the iPad
  • Reply 72 of 118
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's one thing Apple TV won't be getting. Expect that to be an iTV-exclusive feature.

WRONG! aTV 3 App Store CONFIRMED!!!

-Rolo
  • Reply 73 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

WRONG! aTV 3 App Store CONFIRMED!!!

-Rolo

Proof?
  • Reply 74 of 118
    Quote:

I'm preparing to buy an ATV 3 at launch.

Me too.

All I'm looking for is:
    • A 3 at the end of the name

I've been holding off on the aTV 2 because the 3 is coming out. My aTV 1 is only working so-so. If I have Netflix and Airplay I'm good.
  • Reply 75 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Proof?

Trust me. Have my sources ever been wrong before?

Surely you've been around long enough to get the joke right?
  • Reply 76 of 118
    Quote:

J... I dunno, I think $30 or $40 or more for a current season is way too high, but $10 for a season of anything older seems fair.....

What I was meaning here is that if a movie was in the VHS bargain bin for 3.99 in 1985, I shouldn't have to pay 20 dollars for it (or even 10), in iTunes today.

Over Xmas, I saw many movies (not even that old either) in BluRay no less, for $3.99 and $4.99 in giant bargain bins in physical stores. Then I go home and go to the iTunes virtual store and the same movie is $29.99 in SD format.

The production costs of a lot of the older content has long since been paid for and the current "owners" of the rights to it paid essentially nothing for the privilege. None of the money we pay to iTunes for such content will ever go to those that actually produced it, starred in it or created it for us it's just an (immoral IMO) money grab. Most of this content is content we already bought several times over in other formats as well.

When music moved to digital the price dropped by roughly 50% and rightly so. Movies and TV shows have (so far), moved to digital at exactly the same price points or in some cases higher ones. The consumer is being purposely shafted here and it's worth standing up and mentioning it from time to time IMO.
  • Reply 77 of 118
    Quote:

Just having a "home" button on the remote would be a material improvement for both issues - I hate being several tiers down in the Podcasts or Netflix menu and have to keep *blip* *blip* *blip*ing my way to the main menu screen.

Can't you already do this with a press-and-hold of the Menu button?

I would like to see them add buttons for TV on/off and volume, though. Mute would also be desired, but they could do that via a single Volume button where you press-and-hold down to Mute.

As others have mentioned (and I've mentioned in previous threads on this subject), I'd like to see a refresh of the AirPort Extreme and TimeCapsules so that they're running iOS and have a built-in iTunes server. Also, give those boxes DVR functionality which can be utilized via adding a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime to your network. I don't expect them to do that last thing, but I can dream, can't I?

If all they do is give it 1080p I'll want to get a couple to pair with my 1080p TV and 1080p projector, assuming it gets jailbroken and the XBMC folks can utilize the higher-res. It would be great if I didn't have to jailbreak it and install XBMC at all, but I expect that any 1080p support will still require that your videos be in MP4/M4V format, so my full-bitrate Blu-ray rips in MKV format will still require XBMC in order to be played.

My other wish is for NFL support, which I'm still optimistic about, but I don't expect that will be nailed down till closer to the start of the new season.
  • Reply 78 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Trust me. Have my sources ever been wrong before?

Surely you've been around long enough to get the joke right?

Maybe I'm having an off day but I'm not getting the joke.
  • Reply 79 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You assume that they are making a full tv or even would mention th Apple TV in the keynote.

They might not do either.

Or it could be a new set top box that gets a casual mention at the end of the hour, as an accessory to the iPad

Actually, I was talking about the little hobby item. Assuming is for fools.

Full tv for this annoncement? Even if they were making one it would never happen at this event imo. Too big just to throw it in with the iPad 3 announcement imo.
  • Reply 80 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why would they announce both on the same day?

Seems odd to me. The iPad would steal Apple TV's thunder.

Is the new iPad going to be the new Apple TV as well?

I have no idea why but it just seems odd to me that they would announce both items on the same day.

appleTV is still a "hobby". It's the one more thing that works as an accessory to the iPad.

I just hope I don't have to talk to it to make it work.

1080p, some sort of app store, proper youtube interface, improved remote app, and more viewing options, including Amazon and Hulu+ would be perfect. 1080p and making youtube usable would be enough for me.