Apple stalls Apple TV shipments ahead of iPad 3-compatible refresh

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Just having a "home" button on the remote would be a material improvement for both issues - I hate being several tiers down in the Podcasts or Netflix menu and have to keep *blip* *blip* *blip*ing my way to the main menu screen.

Why don't you just hold down the button?
  • Reply 82 of 118
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe I'm having an off day but I'm not getting the joke.

You weren't around for the first Apple television hilarity with Rolo?
  • Reply 83 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

You weren't around for the first Apple television hilarity with Rolo?

The name isn't ringing a bell.
  • Reply 84 of 118
    Personally I'd like to see Apple offer something to compete with Vudu HD/HDX. That's been the only reason I never got an Apple TV, and I've got all other Apple products, and upgrade regularly. Well that and I can get a 3D Blu-Ray Player WITH VUDU 3D HDX 1080P for less then the $99 Apple TV, but I digress. If Apple would add 1080P 3D material, even just 1080P material I would buy at LEAST one Apple TV.

If they could get Ala Carte working right I would drop DirecTV in a heartbeat. Ala Carte programming would be awesome. But I don't think it would be cheap enough. For the $100+ I spend with DirecTV for programing I don't think I would get all the same volume of programing (i watch) available Ala Carte for under that. BUT with a different / awesome interface and eliminate the channel guige (hello 80's) I might be willing to pay more.

As for competing services I don't understand why they wouldn't allow Amazon and Vudu. I say that only because they allow Netflix and that's a competitor. Either allow all or none. Personally I was shocked they ever allowed Netflix.
  • Reply 85 of 118
    I'm curious that the advert http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/ipad3-120228.jpg for the March 7 launch event has larger app icons and no button.... are we sure this is not a different device to the expected iPad 3? Touch iMac or surprise iTV launch?
  • Reply 86 of 118
    Of course, it could be an iPad in landscape.... but that would be odd.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonelsom View Post

Of course, it could be an iPad in landscape.... but that would be odd.

Of course it's in landscape. It wouldn't be odd at all. If Apple had already implemented a new Dock Connector, they wouldn't want to show it. If Apple didn't want the image to be full of extra crap detracting from the message, they'd do whatever was necessary to remove what wasn't supposed to be there.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course it's in landscape. It wouldn't be odd at all. If Apple had already implemented a new Dock Connector, they wouldn't want to show it. If Apple didn't want the image to be full of extra crap detracting from the message, they'd do whatever was necessary to remove what wasn't supposed to be there.

They could also have a new touch sensitive frame / bezel and no longer need a home button.

If charging was no inductive and data transfers were wifi (or inductive) there would also be no dock connector.

Or we can dream at least.

Would make Jobs happier, less buttons / keys and cleaner look.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeremyMc7 View Post

They could also have a new touch sensitive frame / bezel and no longer need a home button.

We ALWAYS need a hardware 'out'.

Quote:

If charging was no inductive and data transfers were wifi (or inductive) there would also be no dock connector.

I'm not being forced to sync wirelessly. And there's no true wireless charging yet.
  • Reply 90 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Why don't you just hold down the button?

Didn't know there was that functionality. Just like we didn't know until about 2 weeks ago how to play in slo-mo mode.

Which just points to the fact that it'd be eff-ing awesome if Apple could include a cheat sheet of some of these functions in its packaging. (If there was one in our ATV2 box, it was invisible.)
  • Reply 91 of 118
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

But unless you get into ProRes444, ProRes ISN'T bandwidth intensive. It clearly has a lower throughput than uncompressed.

Wouldn't be much of a codec if the bandwidth requirement was equal to or greater than uncompressed, would it I was talking in comparison to H.264. ProRes clearly does compress video footage to reduce bandwidth requirements relative to uncompressed, but the compression ratio is small meaning that bandwidth requirements can still be quite high (220 Mb/s isn't going to work over a wireless network, slow laptop HDDs or USB sticks).
  • Reply 92 of 118
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Which just points to the fact that it'd be eff-ing awesome if Apple could include a cheat sheet of some of these functions in its packaging. (If there was one in our ATV2 box, it was invisible.)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3176

They did.

Edit: Tho after full investigation there's still more than a few things not on that list...
  • Reply 93 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We ALWAYS need a hardware 'out'.

I'm not being forced to sync wirelessly. And there's no true wireless charging yet.

I cant see Apple getting rid of the dock connector completely with all of the accessories plus the only "hardwire" way to restore / sync / charge your iDevice.

Maybe a smaller dock connector?

Home button disappearing...all for it. My wife's iPhone and my iPod Touch needed to be replaced due to a faulty home button. Betcha is one of the biggest reasons for repair / replacement. See ya home button.
  • Reply 94 of 118
    It is time to call things correctly. It is TV set from Apple - not Apple TV.

Apple TV is this:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv

I am not sure why writers have problem with proper naming of products and try to give their own.

How the product of TV set will be named we still do not know.
  • Reply 95 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

It is time to call things correctly. It is TV set from Apple - not Apple TV.

Apple TV is this:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv

I am not sure why writers have problem with proper naming of products and try to give their own.

How the product of TV set will be named we still do not know.

The Apple TV is a box you connect to your HDTV. This is the item the "writers" are talking about. The very first sentence seven states "connected television segment is unlikely to materialize until 2013."
  • Reply 96 of 118
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I?d like to see the new chip for Apple TV allow for an App Store with the complete console experience.

I hope this update is not just about a spec bump to 1080p. How would Airplay mirroring even work now that iPad 3 is getting the retina display?
  • Reply 97 of 118
    my guess is Apple is going to introduce, wait for it,

The first High High Definition TV, capable of more than 1080p.

Won't their competitors kick themselves...
  • Reply 98 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

my guess is Apple is going to introduce, wait for it,

The first High High Definition TV, capable of more than 1080p.

Won't their competitors kick themselves...

Except many, MANY televisions above 1080p already exist.

Apple wouldn't make a TV unless they could use Super Hi-Vision. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

They can't care about retina displays on your phone, music player, tablet, and computer without caring about them as your television.

Which is why there won't be an Apple television for decades, if at all, because there's just no sense to getting into that market.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The name isn't ringing a bell.

Back around the 2006/2007 timeframe (forget which) Rolo made huge predictions for an Apple branded TV.

Maybe you weren't around back then but it's been a bit of a joke since with CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 100 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Back around the 2006/2007 timeframe (forget which) Rolo made huge predictions for an Apple branded TV.

Maybe you weren't around back then but it's been a bit of a joke since with CONFIRMED!

I was around. It's odd how there are many posters who have been posting for years that simply don't seem to notice and then one day they are on my radar. But with Rolo he sounds insufferable and tend to forget most of those posters very quickly.