Is the iPod touch dead?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
There has been no talk of any iPods 5th generation the last year...so does this mean Apple will drop the iPod line? Hope not....

Any body had any ideas about this subject?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What? The 5th gen iPod came out in 2005? it has been updated five times since then.

If you're talking about the iPod touch, they may as well kill it off. First the iPhone and now the iPad are cannibalizing it. Sure, people can't really afford iPhones, but that's not Apple's concern.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

There has been no talk of any iPods 5th generation the last year...so does this mean Apple will drop the iPod line? Hope not....

Any body had any ideas about this subject?

Nope ...it's still popular.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I do not use or have a need for a cell phone...if I did, I would have the iPhone...with that said I own a iPad and love it but I can not put it in my pocket like my iPod when I am around tow ...want a

iPod with Siri and the same camera as in the latest iPhone...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Nope ...it's still popular.

• Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I do not use or have a need for a cell phone...if I did, I would have the iPhone...with that said I own a iPad and love it but I can not put it in my pocket like my iPod when I am around tow ...want a

iPod with Siri and the same camera as in the latest iPhone...

Hypothetically speaking let's say if the A5X is simply a process shrink (smaller transistor) version of the A5 then it could likely be a candidate for an improved Touch.

The current A5 was just too big and power hungry for the Touch.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hypothetically speaking let's say if the A5X is simply a process shrink (smaller transistor) version of the A5 then it could likely be a candidate for an improved Touch.

The current A5 was just too big and power hungry for the Touch.

What you said is encouraging....hope that is what Apple is thinking about!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I got a 64 GB iPod Touch for Christmas and it is an amazing device, i use it everywhere. To me it is a pocket-sized iPad that serves as my electronic swiss army knife, without needing a data plan. My only pet peeve with it is that I wish I could turn off cover flow, like I can on my iPod Nano. But beyond that, an optional 3G capability is the only "missing" feature that I would love to see added.

As far as whether it is "killed", who knows, but I seriously doubt it. It fufills a nitch in their line and serves as a gateway into iPhones and iPads from the iPod. Besides, even though I am 55 years old, I suspect its biggest market is for youth.

However, it would not surprise me to have it rolled into the iPad line at some point. You could even call it an iPad Nano, or more likely, I could see it slightly upsized to a 4" or or 4.5" screen, and then if a 7" iPad is later introduced, you could have 3 sizes of the iPad family. In any case, the basic functionality of this device will likely remain, whether it is called an iPod or an iPad.