MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not when it's covered by warranty, where for a Galaxy S2, for example, it would be sent to a service centre for repair.

Sure, sure. Oh, there's no such service available for Samsung stuff? They really make you go without a phone?
  • Reply 62 of 159
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

I command MWC on their well camouflaged affirmative action agenda. A stuttering copycat masterpiece gets rewarded on an equal footing with an eloquent original one. And the Master craftsman gets its flagship unvarnished by a master cheat among cheats in the process.

Could there be class warfare at MWC? Classy Apple vs the classless rest?

All that's left for the Courts of Law to ponder is whether intellectual property would be better safeguarded were we to implement a Taliban-like interpretation of the law: a raped woman should be severely sanctioned for having unwillingly lost her virginity; a robbed Apple should be ostracized for having unwittingly forfeited its creativity...

The sheer thrills of public flogging, ...literally or figuratively, work wonders for the sexually repressed, ...be they in Taliban or in Blog land territory.

Huh? You started with misspelling commend and went downhill from there. Its not that serious, its one crappy award.
  • Reply 63 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

why does everyone place Apples profit as a beneficial area for consumers?

And please dont say R&D investment, as profit is after that. never mind most is external to the USA.

Well because I've liked Apple so much that I bought three shares via Sharebuilder (they were just about $12.00 a share, it was back in 2001).
  • Reply 64 of 159
    FYI, Microsoft showed off their Mobile Windows 8 at MWC today and put the whole conference to sleep while yammering about how great this will be when they finally make it into a shipping product. I was completely underwhelmed by the photos of the screen shots...very messy.

Anyone buying into this mess by MS has, as Jobs put it, "no taste,"
  • Reply 65 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

FYI, Microsoft showed off their Mobile Windows 8 at MWC today and put the whole conference to sleep while yammering about how great this will be when they finally make it into a shipping product. I was completely underwhelmed by the photos of the screen shots...very messy.

What does his at all have to do with this thread? If you want to simply bash MS I am sure somewhere on this site there is a thread, but this is not it.
  • Reply 66 of 159
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Link to slappy ban?

Where is slappy? He is by far my favorite troll.
  • Reply 67 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Some videos: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...ogallery2.aspx
  • Reply 68 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, sure. Oh, there's no such service available for Samsung stuff? They really make you go without a phone?

Not at all. However you do need to fill out the service ticket in Korean.
  • Reply 69 of 159
    I have a Samgung Galaxy Nexus... It is a good phone. Better than the iPhone 4S is some way and not as good in others. I know this is a pro Apple site, but Samsung does make good phones and the Android phones are completely different than the iPhone....

To say that Samsung copied the iPhone is to show you ignorance.... Apples and Oranges.... (Pun intended)
  • Reply 70 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

What does his at all have to do with this thread? If you want to simply bash MS I am sure somewhere on this site there is a thread, but this is not it.

This is a thread about MWC, and I was commenting on MWC. Sorry to have gone way over your head there.
  • Reply 71 of 159
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mobile World Congress on Tuesday announced the winners of the 17th Annual Global Mobile Awards, with Samsung dubbed Manufacturer of the Year for its Galaxy S II Smartphone of the Year, while Apple's iPad 2 took home Tablet of the Year honors.

That's nice. But why not dig a little deeper and tell us who the judges were? All I could find was:

"judged by more than 170 independent analysts, journalists, academics, including PCMag's mobile analyst, Sascha Segan."

Sorry, but I'm not really impressed with analysts, journalists, and academics as being able to provide useful insight.

The important facts are:

1. The Top 3 phones in the world are all iPhones.

2. The entire industry apparently likes the iPhone well enough to slavishly copy it.

Thanks, but I'll pass on the Galaxy S.
  • Reply 72 of 159
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did you come to this conclusion? Weight? Volume? Component prices? Ass pulling?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/sam...phone-4-parts/

25.66% to be more exact

What now Solip? Would that be considered an "ass pulling" to you?

Dont be too dismissive of anything thrown against you.
  • Reply 73 of 159
    Quote:

This is a thread about MWC, and I was commenting on MWC. Sorry to have gone way over your head there.

No, this thread is about how MWC voted for top phone and tablet, apparently it went way over your head and you started talking gibberish about Microsoft. What's next?
  • Reply 74 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

[IMG]http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/sam...phone-4-parts/

What now Solip? Would that be considered an "ass pulling" to you?

Given that the implication in the image is that Apple pockets the remainder of the money, yes.

But I suppose you'll have to wait to see what Solipsism says.
  • Reply 75 of 159
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that the implication in the image is that Apple pockets the remainder of the money, yes.

But I suppose you'll have to wait to see what Solipsism says.

His issue was with the 25% number, hypothesizing that what the original poster said is untrue and even suggesting its a made up number.

You are talking about something completely different.

Lets stick with the issue at hand people. He raised an issue I called him out. Done deal.

This was the conversation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

iPhone is 25% SAmsung.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did you come to this conclusion? Weight? Volume? Component prices? Ass pulling?

• Reply 76 of 159
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Huh? You started with misspelling commend and went downhill from there. Its not that serious, its one crappy award.

Public flogging for a vowel ...instead of for a lack of vow, ...how is that for a proof of content. One can't go farther downhill when one as hit rock bottom from the start ...right...?
  • Reply 77 of 159
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

why does everyone place Apples profit as a beneficial area for consumers?

And please dont say R&D investment, as profit is after that. never mind most is external to the USA.

Because Apple is the the only company smart enough, and with products (and ecosystem) good enough, to actually make money in this space. The other players have always taken the approach of a race to the bottom on price turning the industry into a commodity business which does not drive innovation or quality. It has always been a unique industry as well in that the carriers have also held a stranglehold on the handset makers and Apple has revolutionized that relationship. As to typical commodity markets, just look at what has happened to the PC industry. It is also a reflection of the huge consumer demand for the iPhone based on the quality and total ecosystem, not just the hardware.
  • Reply 78 of 159
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

How can they possibly say that? What are they thinking? Do they hate Apple?

It's an industry group that Apple may or may not belong to, that's taking the lion's share of all the profits.

The saying is, it's mighty hard to convince someone that X is true if their dues collections give them an economic interest in saying it isn't.
  • Reply 79 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Any of you guys own a Galaxy SII?

I don't like Samsung phones. May be interested in the GS III if the rumors hold true.

Did you have a point?
  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I have a Samgung Galaxy Nexus... It is a good phone. Better than the iPhone 4S is some way and not as good in others. I know this is a pro Apple site, but Samsung does make good phones and the Android phones are completely different than the iPhone....

To say that Samsung copied the iPhone is to show you ignorance.... Apples and Oranges.... (Pun intended)

To be fair Samsung is an apple copycat in a lot of ways. Hence why I abhor touchwhiz and especially v1 with the galaxy S.

But they are great hardware makers. Could be better

I do place HTC above them and I like where they're going with their One series.