MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Support.

Your iPhone stops working, you can walk into a store and get given a new one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For a fee.

Nope, free. Such was the situation for my 3GS that developed a minor flaw in the casing.
  • Reply 122 of 159
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I think Galaxy SII is a good mobile phone from the hardware point of view. I think for iPhone 5 Apple would move its hardware technology to something similar to SII given its thinner profile. (I have iPhone4 and I think the hardware is good!)

However in terms of software it is a different story altogether!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So you think Apple should drop back from Bluetooth 4.0, get rid of the backlit camera sensor, cut back on the audio quality (particularly with headphones), get rid of GLANOSS compatability from the GPS and stop making the 64GB model just to match the Galaxy S2 hardware?

I hope not, Apple is moving forward not backwards.

how on earth you managed to conclude all that from my post!
  • Reply 123 of 159
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Wow, so the general consensus is

Pick a non-apple product: biased

Pick as apple product: logical

Anyways. The S2 is a great phone. And it is also very different from the iphone. If you have used only iOS and try to use it you will be lost for a while, and the same if you go from the Android to iOS.

The fact is both have their positive and negative points, and both sides borrow from the other.

Notification menu? Voice actions? Dragging icons on top of each other to make folders? Multitasking? Larger screen sizes (which the iphone will have sooner rather than later)? Face unlock?

Competition is better for both sides. If you can agree with nothing else, at least you can agree with that.

After all, the Kindle fire has shown that 7 inch tablets can be successful, and by most accounts (rumours) apple will soon release one.

Competition, always good for consumers.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's nice. But why not dig a little deeper and tell us who the judges were? All I could find was:

"judged by more than 170 independent analysts, journalists, academics, including PCMag's mobile analyst, Sascha Segan."

Sorry, but I'm not really impressed with analysts, journalists, and academics as being able to provide useful insight.

The important facts are:

1. The Top 3 phones in the world are all iPhones.

2. The entire industry apparently likes the iPhone well enough to slavishly copy it.

Thanks, but I'll pass on the Galaxy S.

Do you fail to notice how pathetic you all sound? It's some stupid award most of the world knows nothing about yet. Why are you all so childishly defensive about the fact that Apple didn't win?

Truly, completely pathetic.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    clanclan Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For a fee.

For a fee.

in fairness, I have not been charged a fee at an Apple store yet. They replace or fix... (still under warranty though..)
  • Reply 126 of 159
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Huge Humber? I used to have one of those...

I do have one of those
  • Reply 127 of 159
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is not correct. Google themselves have just reported that Android devices number 300 million:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/g...illion-device/

Apple reported 250 million iOS devices in October:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/a...-devices-sold/

They shipped 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and about 7 million iPod Touches since then so that gives Apple a grand total of:

309 million iOS devices.

They are at least level-pegging. Android is not at 50% marketshare nor even close to it - they have 50% sales share, which is almost meaningless at present. It means that Android will grow more quickly than iOS but what matters right now is shipped volumes.

Anyway, while the Galaxy S2 is a nice smartphone, it has actually sells much less than the iPhone. 20 million units in 10 months. Apple sold nearly double that in 3 months. I would nonetheless call it the benchmark Android phone and you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.

This all makes for a rather poor "pi$$ing competition".

Suggesting that the yard stick by which one measures technological superiority is unit sales is daft. It assumes that all customers have equal access and that they actually know anything about technology.

Comparing samsungs flag ship phone with the sales of apple's high end and budget phones is equally flawed. Comparing it with the sales of ipods is just bizarre. Would you include the sale of Honda bikes and cars when making comparisons to Ford's flagship car?
  • Reply 128 of 159
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

So only half of Google's bribes worked.

How's that Google+ thing working out for them? I hear it's a 'ghost town.'

heh...

You know, I use + and it's a great tool. Moreover, whatever the media says, Youtube is Google's and Maps is Google's, and strangely, it helped Apple build their monopoly on high-end smartphones. Maybe Apple is not _that_ much at war with Google

It's business
  • Reply 129 of 159
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Suggesting that the yard stick by which one measures technological superiority is unit sales is daft. It assumes that all customers have equal access and that they actually know anything about technology.

Very true, or else Windows has been technologicaly superior to the Mac for what, 20 years or so?

Obviously, not the case
  • Reply 130 of 159
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    [QUOTE=caliminius;2059957]Do you fail to notice how pathetic you all sound? It's some stupid award most of the world knows nothing about yet. Why are you all so childishly defensive about the fact that Apple didn't win?

I couldn't agree more on the latter, especially when Apple did win in one of the categories.

Best Smartphone

Samsung for Samsung Galaxy S II

Best Feature Phone or Entry Level Phone

Nokia for Nokia C3-00

Device Manufacturer of the Year

Samsung

Best Mobile Tablet

Apple for Apple iPad 2

Best New Mobile Handset, Device or Tablet at Mobile World Congress 2012

Nokia for Nokia 808 Pure View

And the complete list if someone want it instead of focusing on a small portion and having a fight about it: http://www.globalmobileawards.com/winners2012.php
  • Reply 131 of 159
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Very true, or else Windows has been technologicaly superior to the Mac for what, 20 years or so?

Obviously, not the case

You raise an interesting point there, how frequently do we hear fanbois of (any camp) point to sales as the key metric but then insist that it can't be applied to the whole ecosystem when sales figures suggest that another part of their favoured eco system is performingly badly?

By and large Apple make good products, primarilly medium to high end, some budget. Other firms such as Sony and Samsung possibly push the boat out a bit more when it comes to high end but largely focus on the mid market.

All of the above are capable of making equally impressive devices. No firm is astronomically more advanced than anyone else. Nor is any more innovative than the other. TRUE innovation normally starts at grass roots or research facilities and is then adopted by the more shrewd and foresighted maker.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Wow, so the general consensus is

Pick a non-apple product: biased

Pick as apple product: logical

Competition is better for both sides. If you can agree with nothing else, at least you can agree with that.

Competition, always good for consumers.

Fandroids never go on Android forums and say "Android needs competition from Apple" or "Samsung need competition from Apple." It's always about how stupid, irrational, cultish or biased Apple users are, worshipping the evil Steve Jobs who bullies everyone and takes credit for their work, living in Apple's "walled gardens" (usually meant in the pejorative) because they are too stupid to root their iPhone and run Ubuntu or whatever.
  • Reply 133 of 159
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

BINGO!!!

I actually think the coolest thing Google ever did was design the Android logo, or have it designed. It really isn't a logo, it is a smoking icon, which is the only tech logo out there that can stand up to Apples logo. If they were to demand that every Android phone maker put that logo 3/4 inch on the backpack of their phone Android might stand a chance of standing up against Apple's marketing.

I have nothing against logos, I just don't want to see it day in and day out while I am using my phone. And many service provider's logos just plain suck....such as Verizon's which never seems to fit anywhere.

OK. So your argument is that the only thing good about Android is its logo.

I can buy that.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Poor parody by your standards, techdud.

They can't all be gems. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Your posts increasingly seem to resemble elevator music. Especially since you changed your user name. Is it just boredom with the topics?

Jeez. I'll try harder. This post got lousy reviews. I guess it was pretty substandard.

Suggestions for improvements are always welcome.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    icelusicelus Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I don't understand where you are going with this.

Windows Phone 7 has their logo as the "start" button and often handsets have the same logo on the back yet it I have never heard anyone suggesting that it impacts upon sales. I am not even sure that the logos on the back of phones has any effect when the phone is in use given that it is obscured by one's hand.

Exactly

Three logos on the front of the latest Windows phones. Do you really think the fact that there are zero logos on the front of an iPhone is an accident? Of course, AT&T wanted theirs on the front and Apple told them where to go.

The point is, the little things matter, and if you can't control all the people who want to junk up your design, then you end up with junk throughout. Apple isn't smoking everyone because they are just lucky.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    So funny how all you brainwashed fanboys are upset that the MWC, the biggest congress on mobile devices, acknowledges that the Galaxy SII was the best phone of 2011.

Face it: it was, the 4S can't top it in any objective way.

It's thinner, lighter and more robust than the iPhone, has OLED with beautiful colours (instead of the washed-out IPS displays apple uses), has a user-friendly interface, comes with a free full-fledged office software package, has swype and very decent camera's. Furthermore the CPU and GPU are still among the best available to this day.

Meanwhile the 4s was an acknoledgement of Apple that they couldn't finish their new design in time. So they rehashed the 4 and released Siri just to be able to show something new: they could have just emphesised the new CPU (which is a big deal) but since apple has been unrightfully bashing Android-manufacturers about how specs don't matter, they kinda shot themselves in the foot.

Result: Siri, which currently still is a buggy POS had to be released as a beta. Meanwhile 75% of all iPhone customers (those that are clueless sheeple) get the iPhone 4 because they look the same. So they all got an overpriced, outdated singlecore piece of shit. But hey: it has the Apple-logo

Come on people, you all know it: just like the iPhone 2G and 3G, the 4S is a total fiasco.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

So only half of Google's bribes worked.

How's that Google+ thing working out for them? I hear it's a 'ghost town.'

heh...

ahem PING ahem...
  • Reply 138 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fandroids never go on Android forums and say "Android needs competition from Apple" or "Samsung need competition from Apple." It's always about how stupid, irrational, cultish or biased Apple users are,..

Ironically, you fail to see how most of the comments on this story actually bear out that point of view of Apple users. Stupid irrational, cultish and biased sums up the majority of them quite nicely.
  • Reply 139 of 159
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

why does everyone place Apples profit as a beneficial area for consumers?

And please dont say R&D investment, as profit is after that. never mind most is external to the USA.

Well, I presume the guy is a stockholder.

If you want to benefit from Apple's profitability, then buy some stock too.

And if you can afford to purchase an iPhone, iPad or Mac then I'm pretty sure you can very well afford to buy either a share of Apple stock, or shares in a tech mutual fund that's heavy on AAPL.
  • Reply 140 of 159
    Quote:

Okay, so know everyone is pondering whether they are a geek and should be offended.

I'm assuming you meant "so now"? Check your grammar here, as I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.

Quote:

Actually, AT&T customer service sucks, so "waiting in line" was about an hour. Sorry, but the Galaxy sucks. You just don't need a phone that big and clunky, it is plasticy and flimsy feeling.

So you're telling me you picked up a phone that you absolutely hated and played with it for an hour? Seems even less likely to me. And what is "the Galaxy"? The S2? The Note? The Nexus? You seem to be jumping between devices, which further leads to my conclusion that you're just making up a story to fit all of the generic Android criticism you've ever heard, despite all of those above devices (except the Note...I think?) garnering near universal appraisal. "Big and clunky?" Please. I am one of several people who skipped the iPhone 4 because I was impressed with the HTC Evo's screen size. While I dislike the plasticy feeling, you'd be hard pressed to find people who find it to feel "flimsy".

Quote:

The whole geek thing is valid, if the people who design phones are the ones who spend their days readying phone specs, who own six phones, and memorizes the instruction manual, then the phone is going to suck.

So the people who develop the design and software for the iPhone are alpha-males who spend their free time socializing and don't really spend much time or effort on their work? You know who I want making my products? People that spend a lot of time designing what I buy and that love making it. In the tech world, that's your arbitrarily defined "geek". I want geeks to make the software for my phone, my iPad, and my MacBook because I know it'll run better.

Quote:

Sorry, having a local weather widget as the awesome feature displayed in all your phone ads is just stupid.

...I'm pretty sure you're just making up stories now. Samsung has been (rightfully) criticized for their ad campaign of attacking Apple users; not for promoting a weather widget.

Quote:

Hardwiring a search button is a sign of a poorly designed phone and probably why Google is phasing it out, at least as a physical button. And it seems on some newer Android phones they are finally getting a clue phasing out the two or three ugly logos that have been typical on most Android phones.

Really? So I should have to search through an app to find the search feature. Have a dictionary app? You can either press a button or search for the search feature in the app. Have a photo album app? You can hit a button or search through the app to find a search feature (if it exists). Have a web browsing app? You can either press a button or scroll up to the top and type it in (or go to Google/bing first). Some people prefer to have those buttons hardwired/always available. I LOVE having a dedicated back and menu button, and I really wish my iPad had that feature. But someone don't feel like it's necessary; to each his own. But please do not take your radical opinion and proclaim it is the end all be all.