Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Safari 5.2 gets a simplified user interface with new sharing feature

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Correction: Mozilla was not based on Netscape but was a rewrite from scratch. The origInal netscape's rendering engine was also called Mozilla, but had no code in common with the gecko-based Mozilla browser that became Firebird and then Firefox.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I downloaded Safari 5.2 through the developer portal for OS X Lion.

It sucked, big time.

I personally prefer having the URL and search bar separate, and the 'Reader' button in 5.2 is just... Ugly. And what the hell did they do to the tabs?

I switched back to 5.1.

http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/MLSafari3.png

The tabs are there. Look below the address bar all the way to the right you will see a plus symbol. Click on that and you will get a new tab.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Now, now. Don't be mean: "Safari has a history of delivering innovative new features"

-posted using Chrome for Android.

You misread my post.

I was laughing at Tallest Skil's comments.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On a website dedicated to Apple news? WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

That's right, news. Which is a pain to read on AI because facts are mixed with the writers personal opinion, but it's still written in such a away it's the one and only truth.

Why doesn't the author just be honest with it and separate fact and opinion and write a personal opinion, eg:

// objective facts go here

I've always thoughtSafari has a history of delivering innovative new features while retaining one of the simplest user interfaces among major browsers available.

// etc

... Just choose to write in a blog/opinion esque style or write news, the current articles read as propoganda.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:

I think I'll like the answer, but what do you mean by this?

NO. Dear heavens, you hate usability, don't you?

Oh, yeah, daily updates; that's real good.

Safari uses WebKit2 already, Chrome is WebKit. Call me when Google's up to date.

Where are you still getting them? I haven't had Safari crash ONCE since Lion DP 2.2, which is a welcome change from before the Lion DPs, too.

Wrong. Webkit2 is implementing what chrome already had. Go read about it.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:

Wrong. Webkit2 is implementing what chrome already had. Go read about it.

I couldn't care less about Chrome's proprietary add-ons to WebKit.

WebKit2 takes whatever their stuff is, makes it standard, and opens it to more than just its original use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I've always thoughtSafari has a history of delivering innovative new features while retaining one of the simplest user interfaces among major browsers available.

Or you could post a rebuttal where you prove it wrong if it's not fact.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:

I think I'll like the answer, but what do you mean by this?

You know what he means, it's colored syntax highlighting.

The oracle 'will like' the answer? Just say it's a good suggestion, man.

Is it so hard?
  • Reply 28 of 88
    I would like an improved bookmarks system like Firefox has: a column on the left with bookmarks I can add and drag around visually.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

In after the anti-Apple brigade has screamed about the unified bar and the greying out of extended URLs.

It's not anti-Apple to dislike the new interface (or any other Apple design decision). Are you one of those who said people opposed to the Iraq War were anti-American?

Personally, I don't like the unified address bar idea, as I don't see a way to implement it that wouldn't take me where I don't want to go. I just hope there's a hidden preference to get back to a separate search bar.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    I thought the Javascript engine in Safari 5.2 is suppose to get a substantial upgrade. Is that not true?

For me, that is a key win. Safari needs to be positioned as the mst private, fastest browser around. Better than Chrome in these areas
  • Reply 31 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Google Chrome is the most influential desktop software app of the last 5 years.

Chrome is a popular 3rd-party browser but WebKit is by far more influential in computing over the last 5 years. Even Mobile Safari is more influential than Chrome in the past 5 years. Before that there were no decent smartphone browsers. Even today no mobile OS browser works as well. However, now with Chrome on Android Chrome might overtake Safari in installations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

2) tabs above unify bar rather than underneath (like Chrome)

They tried it, I liked it, they didn't, don't expect it.

Note that Safari's tab bar, bookmarks bar, and address bar rows use slightly less room than Chrome despite Chrome's tabs being at the top.

Quote:

Oh, yeah, daily updates; that's real good.

Safari uses WebKit2 already, Chrome is WebKit. Call me when Google's up to date.

In this age of constant connectivity the layout engine API version isn't as important as being secure. This makes frequent and automatic updates to the browser a good thing and makes whether Chrome uses WebKit 1 or 2 a moot point.

Next week is the Pwn2Own. While this in itself is lame Google has put themselves on the line by offering large cash prizes for those that can hack their browser. One could say this is hubris but it's also commendable that they would put themselves on the line.

PS: I expect MS and Apple to update their browsers right before the contest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Correction: Mozilla was not based on Netscape but was a rewrite from scratch. The origInal netscape's rendering engine was also called Mozilla, but had no code in common with the gecko-based Mozilla browser that became Firebird and then Firefox.

Gecko was used in Netscape Navigator 5.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You know what he means, it's colored syntax highlighting.

No, I didn't. And now I'm confused because we already have that.

Quote:

Is it so hard?

Apparently it's harder than not mocking other users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's not anti-Apple to dislike the new interface (or any other Apple design decision).

I never said that. Perhaps it could be implied, but it wasn't my intention. Chrome was my intention.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Meh. I just can't like Safari no matter how hard I try, and at a weak 5% market share I'm guessing I'm not the only one who prefers another browser.

OS X 10.7 "Vista" also leaves me with a disappointed feeling. A feeling I don't get when I use Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

OS X 10.7 "Vista" also leaves me with a disappointed feeling.

• Reply 35 of 88
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

No frownsmile for him.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:

I couldn't care less about Chrome's proprietary add-ons to WebKit.

WebKit2 takes whatever their stuff is, makes it standard, and opens it to more than just its original use.

Or you could post a rebuttal where you prove it wrong if it's not fact.

then why are you mouthing off about google not being 'up to date'? webkit2 is adding features that the chromium kit had before it and that chrome already has.

*phone ringing* it's for you: APPLE SAFARI IS PLAYING 'KETCHUP' TO GOOGLE CHROME
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:

then why are you mouthing off about google not being 'up to date'? webkit2 is adding features that the chromium kit had before it and that chrome already has.

Does someone else who followed 90s web development more closely than I did want to explain to this guy why what he's saying isn't much of an argument for him?

Or can we just leave it at my "in before"/"in after" statements?
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Not sure why people hate the unified search/address bar. I've been hoping that the feature would come to Safari for a little while now. Maybe someone can explain why there would be any degree of conflict? I imagine it would be easier to use for typical computer users as well.

Doesn't this add more steps? If I want to go to domain.com I press Command-L, type "domain.com" and press Enter. On the other hand if I want to do a search for "cool stuff" I press Command-Option-F, type "cool stuff" and press Enter. With the single search bar I'll have to press Command-L (or whatever), enter my domain name or search query, then mess around with the arrow keys or the mouse to select the kind of input I want. Please correct me if you've actually used this and it works better than I'm imagining.

I will concede that when I taught computer classes, I saw that at least 95% of people used the address field and search field interchangeably, as if they didn't understand the difference between the two. So I think this is inevitable (and hardly innovative since IE 9 and Chrome already do it).

I also think it's inevitable that eventually URLs will be hidden completely, and that will be a sad day for tech-savvy users who can learn things from looking at the domain name, tweak the URL to navigate to a different page, work around a broken page, etc. But it's all gobbledygook for most users.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The URL search bar integration is beyond stupid though, I really hope it gets dropped in the final release.

What are you guys talking about?

The integrated search/url is one of the reasons that make Chrome great, something most reviewers have pointed out.

For me it's a pain point that keeps me from using Safari.

Have you tried it for a while, or it's just a case of "anything different is stupid" thing?

Quote:

The actions are distinctly different

The actions are exactly the same: I write something and the browser shows me something based on what I wrote. P

lus each action is almost equally common (i.e searching vs entering a URL). So, why should I write in a different box, and use a shortcut/move my mouse to select it depending to if I type in a URL or a query, when the browser is perfectly capable of determining what I want to do?

Quote:

especially when trying to search a document already loaded into the browser.

That's not done in the URL bar in Mountain Lion, but on a search bar below. So this complaint is also invalid
  • Reply 40 of 88
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Doesn't this add more steps? If I want to go to domain.com I press Command-L, type "domain.com" and press Enter. On the other hand if I want to do a search for "cool stuff" I press Command-Option-F, type "cool stuff" and press Enter. With the single search bar I'll have to press Command-L (or whatever), enter my domain name or search query, then mess around with the arrow keys or the mouse to select the kind of input I want. Please correct me if you've actually used this and it works better than I'm imagining.

You don't have to mess with arrow keys or anything at all.

You press A SINGLE keystroke (command-L) and you can BOTH type a query or type an address.

Press Enter.

You either get results back (if you had typed a query) or you get a page back (if you had typed a domain).

Much simpler --and one of the key features people love about Chrome.