Briefly: Apple most admired; Tim Cook spotted in Paris; Motorola workaround

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple has been named the "Most Admired" company for the fifth year in a row. Meanwhile, Apple CEO Tim Cook was reportedly spotted in Paris on business earlier this week. Finally, Motorola Mobility has responded to a recent injunction by a German court against it by noting that it has already implemented a workaround.

Most Admired Company

Fortune pronounced Apple as the most-admired company with a score of 8.42. Google placed second on the list of top 50 companies with a score of 7.74. EMC, the second-most-admired computer company, had a score of 6.78.

"To say it was another big year for Apple would be a gross understatement," the magazine read. "With the passing of Steve Jobs, questions swirled around the company’s future. But under new CEO Tim Cook’s guidance, Apple continues to prosper."

Apple ranked first in its industry for nine different "key attributes of reputation," including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.

The publication's most admired list is generated through a survey partnership with global management consulting firm Hay Group. The surveys ask executives, directors and analysts to rate companies for each of the attributes.

Cook in Paris

French Mac site MacBidouille () reported on Thursday that, according to one of its informants, Cook was in Paris earlier this week for a business trip of the "greatest secrecy."

The report was unable to confirm the reason for Cook's trip, but it speculated that he may have traveled to the city to sign a contract, since he would presumably have only made the trip if his physical presence was required. The publication added that it would not be surprised to learn that Apple had bought a company in France.

Motorola workaround

Shortly after a German judge issued an injunction against several Motorola devices for infringing on a photo gallery patent by Apple, the company issued a statement declaring that it has already implemented a way around the patent in question. As such, the company said it expects the injunction to have no impact on supply or sales of its devices.

"Today’s ruling in Munich, Germany on the patent litigation brought by Apple concerns a software feature associated with performing certain functions when viewing photos in a ‘zoomed in’ mode on mobile devices," the statement read. "We note that the Court ruled that performing the functions in a ‘zoomed out’ mode does not infringe on this patent. We expect no impact to supply or future sales as we have already implemented a new way to view photos on our products that does not interfere with the user experience."

However, Motorola's statement contradicts earlier claims from patent expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents who said that any workaround by the company would "definitely degrade the user experience."

The legal battle between Apple and Motorola has heated up in recent months after several victories on either side. Motorola has won injunctions against Apple's implementation of push services, forcing its rival to announce to German customers that it has shut down iCloud push services in the country while it appeals the ruling.

Last month, Apple won an injunction against Motorola with its slide-to-unlock patent.

Motorola could also face an inquiry over its wielding of FRAND-committed patents against Apple. In order to submit patents to standards organizations, Motorola agreed to license some of its IP on Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory terms. Apple has complained to the European Commission that Motorola was unfairly using these standards-essential patents in its litigation.

Apple also appears to have taken some of the venom out of Motorola's injunction threats by submitting a license offer to Motorola that has been accepted as reasonable by a German appeals court. Mueller called the victory a "breakthrough" for Apple, noting that the company's appeal is "highly likely to succeed." At this point, were Motorola to reject Apple's offer, the appeals court could potentially label the action an antitrust violation.

Motorola had previously asked for a 2.25 percent royalty rate, but Apple balked at the figure. Pundits have labeled the rate unreasonable, given that other contributing companies asking for a similar rate would quickly eat up any profits from device sales.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    I spent two weeks in Paris. If I'd had the means of Mr. Cook, I would have never left.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The really amazing thing to me was that Google was #2. I guess people don't mind someone stealing all their private information and selling it to the highest bidder. Or stealing intellectual property left and right.

As for Motorola, I don't think Apple cares that much about Motorola's workaround. The real problem Moto has is going to be the European antitrust authorities - and Apple set Moto up to be crucified.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I spent two weeks in Paris. If I'd had the means of Mr. Cook, I would have never left.

How's your French? I've been a couple of times and have been determined to use the local vernacular! (Only however, where neither life nor limb were at risk!)
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

Apple ranked first in its industry for nine different "key attributes of reputation," including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.

Meanwhile, in other news, Apple was also ranked first by the American Bar Association for bringing wealth and prosperity to lawyers worldwide. In accepting the award Apple's representative said, "You haven't seen anything yet!"
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The really amazing thing to me was that Google was #2. I guess people don't mind someone stealing all their private information and selling it to the highest bidder. Or stealing intellectual property left and right.

As for Motorola, I don't think Apple cares that much about Motorola's workaround. The real problem Moto has is going to be the European antitrust authorities - and Apple set Moto up to be crucified.

A lot of bullshit and FUD...

oh wait it's you, jragosta?...nevermind it's expected.

Question...

to anyone who believes all the bullshit and FUD that a simple BING search will show is complete and utter lies (or a purposeful distortion of the truth) yet continues to spread these lies like gospel day in and out...don't you feel bad about yourself a bit? That due to the fact that you LOVE one company so much you make up and spread lies about their competition...to make yourself feel better?

In other news Blacks all want to rob you, Jews are cheap bastards, White people are the devil, Cops are racist pricks, Apple is a greedy company that sells cheap shit at a premium, Barack Obama is the anti-Christ and a Muslim, Women are all sluts, Asians can't drive, Atheist are fighting a war on Christianity...etc, etc, etc.

These are all FUD...akin to your stupid ass posts.

If you want to be taken seriously by anyone other than other fellows in your circle jerk come up with some real arguments and not utter bullshit.

I do not tolerate Apple based FUD on Android forums I do not understand why everyone is so happy about Google based FUD on Apple forums...

Stop being so childish...
  • Reply 6 of 52
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

How's your French? I've been a couple of times and have been determined to use the local vernacular! (Only however, where neither life nor limb were at risk!)

In France, to make yourself understood -- you need to speak slower and louder...

...the ugly American...
  • Reply 7 of 52
    So Moto has a workaround already, and Apple has no push email.

It's SO hard to keep score.

This stuff is all stupid crap, with minor gains yielded from multimillion dollar lawsuits. .
  • Reply 8 of 52
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I would certainly have a condo there if I had a fraction of his money.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Question...

to anyone who believes all the bullshit and FUD that a simple BING search will show is complete and utter lies (or a purposeful distortion of the truth) yet continues to spread these lies like gospel day in and out...don't you feel bad about yourself a bit? That due to the fact that you LOVE one company so much you make up and spread lies about their competition...to make yourself feel better?

In other news Blacks all want to rob you, Jews are cheap bastards, White people are the devil, Cops are racist pricks, Apple is a greedy company that sells cheap shit at a premium, Barack Obama is the anti-Christ and a Muslim, Women are all sluts, Asians can't drive, Atheist are fighting a war on Christianity...etc, etc, etc.

If you want to be taken seriously by anyone other than other fellows in your circle jerk come up with some real arguments and not utter bullshit.

I do not tolerate Apple based FUD on Android forums I do not understand why everyone is so happy about Google based FUD on Apple forums...

Wow. Are you allowed to talk to an apple fan like that? Here?

Is somebody giving you protection?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

FUD is getting out of hand on all facets.

Apple is a slave-driver

Google steals and sells Joe Smith from Houston's data to whomever asks

etc, etc, etc.

The climate on all forums is poisonous and I have had my own fair share contributing to the mess (albeit in less FUD-y ways)

No matter how many facts you spout showing that Apple actually has better pay and environments than other manufacturers or that Google does not actually sell your private data..at all actually. People don't want to listen. And instead we get the most retarded fanboy wars since Young Earth Creationists decided to try and argue against actual scientists.

How anyone cannot be annoyed (especially here where it seems most people are both older and smarter than other forums) by the constant bullshit banter is beyond me.

Argue with facts...or don't argue at all, and if someone can effectively disprove your claims accept defeat, adjust your opinion, and move on.

Rationality should be a mandatory subject in all schools.

edit: Also, if you make a claim, and you are called to provide evidence to support your claim, and all of your evidence is questionable at best and bullshit at worst...drop your claim...that's a retarded position to have.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Question...

I see that you've adopted the "we'll deny everything" defense. Probably not a bad choice.

In reality, Google's abuse of intellectual property is very well documented. See all the links I provided in the earlier threads.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see that you've adopted the "we'll deny everything" defense. Probably not a bad choice.

In reality, Google's abuse of intellectual property is very well documented. See all the links I provided in the earlier threads.

Apple has lost their fair share of lawsuits (with many other pending lawsuits that may or may not go their way) as well...did they steal?

Your use of the word "Steal" is meant to inspire FUD...you know that.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

He/she doesn't need protection and neither do you, as much as you'd like to think that you do!
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

He/she doesn't need protection and neither do you, as much as you'd like to think that you do!

He was being sarcastic. There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

Example, I've been banned 2 or 3 times so far for some minor infractions (latest was legit IMO) that are regularly violated by several pro-Apple posters on an almost daily basis...

They haven't.

I think I am one point away from perma-ban lol.

But before you lot get your hopes up I am actively trying to avoid offending several posters' delicate sensibilities.

edit: and for future references...it's "He"
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

He was being sarcastic. There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

then you should not come to here. please just leave.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

He was being sarcastic...

I think I am one point away from perma-ban lol.

Oops...

Quote:

edit: and for future references...it's "He"

Noted - I could just have used your handle, sorry.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

then you should not come to here. please just leave.

were you born in 1992?

nm, I'm going to assume not considering you've been a member since 2002 though a 10 year old could've been on this site then I'm going to doubt it.

Anywho that question was just a question.

To reply to you...No.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

We should rally against mob mentality. Who's with me!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Oops...

Noted - I could just have used your handle, sorry.

It's all good, a lot safer a bet than my "assume everyone is a he until told otherwise" routine.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We should rally against mob mentality. Who's with me!

hahahhahaa, the reason I will always like you Solip.