Bloom Energy believed to be behind Apple's 5MW fuel cell farm

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Bloom Energy, maker of the much-hyped "Bloom Box" energy server, is believed to be the supplier behind Apple's planned 5-megawatt fuel cell farm in North Carolina.

Up to 50 Bloom Boxes, each capable of supplying 100 killowatts of power, would meet Apple's advertised 5-megawatt capacity at the new fuel cell farm. Citing a few sources, GigaOm reported on Friday that Bloom Energy and its Bloom Boxes are in fact planned to be the power source at the forthcoming plant.

The new fuel cell farm is set to run on biogas, or methane from organic waste, as well as oxygen. Apple revealed last month that its Maiden, N.C., data center will feature the largest nonutility fuel cell installation in the U.S.

The fuel cell farm will provide more than 40 million kWh of 24x7 baseload renewable energy annually. When paired with the 20-megawatt solar farm Apple is also building, the data center will be the largest in its class with LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Friday's report also claimed that beyond Apple's green data center in North Carolina, the company has also allegedly partnered with Bloom for "a few" fuel cells that are found on the company's Cupertino, Calif. campus.

The rumored partnership with Bloom is also seen as likely because the company is one of only a few that would even be capable of building such a large array of fuel cells. Bloom has previously secured a deal to build a 30-megawatt fuel cell farm with 300 Bloom Boxes in Delaware.

Apple first announced plans to build its massive $1 billion server farm in Maiden in 2009. The facility opened last spring, and it helps to power Apple's online operations, including the iCloud umbrella of Web applications and services, and the iTunes Store that serves up applications, music, movies, books and more.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Does anyone know what sorts of data is being hosted or served from that datacenter?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Seems odd that it would be Bloom. They seem to be looking at installations closer to 2MW peak from what I can tell. Also didn't think they ran on swamp gas... but I guess it would just impact efficiency.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I'm not sure I get the picture. If the fuel cells are going to run on methane from organic waste, and the fuel cells are to be located at the data center, does that mean there is (or is going to be) a garbage dump or pig shit lake near the data center? or do they capture the methane somewhere else and transport it to the fuel cells? someone with knowledge please explain.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Seems odd that it would be Bloom. They seem to be looking at installations closer to 2MW peak from what I can tell. Also didn't think they ran on swamp gas... but I guess it would just impact efficiency.

I have heard of municipalities powering their sewage treatment plants with fuel cells running on the gases released from the chemical reactions of their treatment tanks. I don't understand yet how this is applicable to a data center.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Why wouldn't you use 2 FuelCell Energy 3000's from the leader in FuelCell technology?

DFC3000 (2.8 MW)

FuelCell Energy?s DFC3000® system is the largest of the DFC® power plant fleet, capable of providing high-quality baseload power up to 2.8 MW with 47% electrical efficiency. The power plant consists of six matched modular skids, and due to its innovative design, can be modified depending on the power requirements of the facility.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Bloom Energy, maker of the much-hyped "Bloom Box" energy server, is believed to be the supplier behind Apple's planned 5-megawatt fuel cell farm in North Carolina.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scuzzl3 View Post

Why wouldn't you use 2 FuelCell Energy 3000's from the leader in FuelCell technology?

Well that settles it. It is definitely Bloom since a representative from the competition has confirmed that they did not get the contract.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Of all Apple's decisions, this should be one its competitors should strive to copy. And I don't think Apple would mind if they did so.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Of all Apple's decisions, this should be one its competitors should strive to copy. And I don't think Apple would mind if they did so.

There's an abundance of biogas coming from Microsoft's executive suite.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    As the rest of the world is busy killing each other because of artificial scarcity, and still fighting stupid racial, religious, and political battles of yesteryear, Apple is just moving on.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    In this case Google did this first, they are credited as being the first customer of Bloom Energy.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Google has been toying with them since at least 2010. ATT signed a contract with Bloom last year. I thinl Microsoft is also involved in some way, or perhaps it's Bill Gates himself as an investor? Can't find the citation for that one.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Good for Apple.

If they can lead in green tech, other companies might follow.

It makes a lot of sense to add baseline power to the intermittent solar sources.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Good for Apple.

If they can lead in green tech, other companies might follow.

It makes a lot of sense to add baseline power to the intermittent solar sources.

No offense to Apple, but they're following here, not leading.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    While this CAN run biogas, I suspect it will run good ol fashion natural gas. IMO, the main benefit of these local fuel cells is improved reliability from being on 'the grid'.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

In this case Google did this first, they are credited as being the first customer of Bloom Energy.

I agree. They did lead here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

No offense to Apple, but they're following here, not leading.

Again, correct. See Bloom's customer list here -- Apple hasn't made their website yet: http://www.bloomenergy.com/customer-fuel-cell/
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Again, correct. See Bloom's customer list here -- Apple hasn't made their website yet: http://www.bloomenergy.com/customer-fuel-cell/

Well that was probably part of the contract. Secrecy is their MO. I don't think we ever definitively learned who got the server hardware/software or backbone network provider contracts for the datacenter either. The article said it opened last spring but I did some trace routing and could not find any Apple services that lead to North Carolina.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    This will go down well with ordinary Geeks, I am sure. There have already been protests by people painting swastikas on a German embassy, along with the slogan ?1941-2011 The enemy is the same?. The course on which the EU seems set is very disturbing.

cancer lung
  • Reply 18 of 28
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caldoeui View Post

this will go down well with ordinary geeks, i am sure. There have already been protests by people painting swastikas on a german embassy, along with the slogan ?1941-2011 the enemy is the same?. The course on which the eu seems set is very disturbing.

cancer lung

go away.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well that was probably part of the contract. Secrecy is their MO. I don't think we ever definitively learned who got the server hardware/software or backbone network provider contracts for the datacenter either. The article said it opened last spring but I did some trace routing and could not find any Apple services that lead to North Carolina.

Nothing official. This is the closest to a confirmation that I've come across.

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...d-alone-139431
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nothing official. This is the closest to a confirmation that I've come across.

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...d-alone-139431

Please stop putting external links in your posts. They almost always lead to MS and Google related blogs which rarely have anything to do with the quoted text or the article.

I would prefer you did not respond to my posts in such a manner since I do not want to appear complicit in your participation in the discussion.