Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

New server logs have discovered evidence of a device with an iPad Retina Display screen resolution, as well as iPad models running iOS 6, that are being used to browse the Web at Apple's corporate headquarters.

Combing through its server logs, Ars Technica found a total of 346 visits from a device running the unique 2,048 by 1,536 pixel resolution. While a resolution in and of itself is not evidence of a device, that size happens to be exactly double the resolution of the current iPad, with four times as many pixels.

Numerous rumors have pointed toward Apple's third-generation iPad sporting a Retina Display that will be a double-resolution screen, at 2,048 by 1,536. Author Jacqui Cheng noted that a search on the Web found there are "very few devices in current use that have this same resolution."

In addition, the site also tracked iPads that were accessing its site from Apple's corporate IP block at its Cupertino, Calif., corporate campus. Some of those iPads were found to be running iOS 6, an unannounced update to Apple's mobile operating system.

"The iPads that appear to be running iOS 6 are also using a slightly newer build of WebKit — The older OSes all show WebKit 534.46 while the ones claiming to be iOS 6 show WebKit build 535.8," Cheng wrote.

There have not been any indications that Apple plans to release a major new version of iOS with the third-generation iPad this month, but the server logs do suggest that Apple is hard at work on the sixth major upgrade to the operating system. Apple has yet to release iOS 5.1, which is still in beta.

Apple is expected to officially unveil its third-generation iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display at a media event next Wednesday in San Francisco. Given Apple's previous release schedules, iOS 6 is likely to be released later this year alongside a new sixth-generation iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    No way ... those connections have been established through a wormhole within space continuum, from a distant future ...
  • Reply 2 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

No way ... those connections have been established through a wormhole within space continuum, from a distant future ...

I'm not buying it either. Even though Apple is surely testing iOS 6 I think the most likely answer is the easily spoofed User Agent info by someone trying to have a laugh. I don't expect iOS 6 to be demoed until WWDC.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    that's impossible, everyone knows apple will whip up iOS 6 in a few weeks time between the ipad 3 rollout and WWDC. it's not like it take months of developing the OS and the development kit
  • Reply 4 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sky remains blue.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    No surprise that Apple would start testing iOS alphas about 3-4 months before the beta unveiling to developers at WWDC.

Apple does their own internal testing before they unleash it on developers.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    iOS 6? What else could possibly be dumbed down any further?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not buying it either. Even though Apple is surely testing iOS 6 I think the most likely answer is the easily spoofed User Agent info by someone trying to have a laugh. I don't expect iOS 6 to be demoed until WWDC.

Why would Ars lie? The IP addresses came from Apple's block. It is not so easy to spoof IP addresses and resolution as it is User Agents. Is someone at Apple intentionally spoofing Ars for a laugh?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 9 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

iOS 5 was a nice improvement over iOS 4. I'm sure that iOS 6 will represent an even greater improvement. And when it comes out, many millions of extremely satisfied and happy Apple users will be downloading it and enjoying their new OS as soon as it's available. I can't say the same for another mobile platform which comes to mind, which mostly has a bunch of angry and ignorant users.

The OS of choice for retards and uneducated consumers is of course Android.

Only 1% of all Android users are even on the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS! Meanwhile Apple users with devices that are years old are running the latest version of iOS.

The overwhelming majority of Android users are still on Gingerbread, which is outdated, ancient and laughable!

I pity the fools who get suckered into buying and using such a shoddy OS.

Here's a little chart for all Fandroids to enjoy. How fucking pathetic is this chart?

• Reply 10 of 60
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRumor View Post

The problem with speculation about these resolution entries representing the iPad 3 is that the new device should still report 1024x768 as its resolution. With the higher pixel density intended to increase sharpness rather than screen real estate, web content would appear far too small on the device if it reported itself at its true 2048x1536 resolution. This situation can be seen with Retina-capable iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch models, which report their resolutions as 480x320 instead of their actual 960x640 resolutions..

• Reply 11 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They're trying to make it simple enough that even Gatorguy, Ima zzz, and wizard69 can understand it.

So far, they've only managed to get it down to second grade level, so they have a ways to go.

Thanks a lot. I have to change my shirt now after spilling my coffee I laughed so much!
  • Reply 12 of 60
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    OMG! OMG!! Apple is working on iOS 6?! I can't believe it!
  • Reply 13 of 60
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Seems clear to me...

Mountain Lion developer preview out now >> general release at WWDC with new MacBooks.

iOS 6 internal testing now >> developer preview released at WWDC >> general release with iPhone 5 in Sept/Oct.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why would Ars lie? The IP addresses came from Apple's block. It is not so easy to spoof IP addresses and resolution as it is User Agents. Is someone at Apple intentionally spoofing Ars for a laugh?

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.

The only thing remotely interesting about this story is the Ip address. People at Apple do have a sense of humor though. Maybe they made a bet to see if it would show up as a story.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Certainly not you. You must have hit your limit by now? However, you do keep surprising us! Keep it up. At least you're comments are good for a laugh.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Certainly not you. You must have hit your limit by now?

Was it Einstein that said the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits? I think he's also credited with saying that there are two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe.

There is genius in his humor, too.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iOS 5 was a nice improvement over iOS 4. I'm sure that iOS 6 will represent an even greater improvement. And when it comes out, many millions of extremely satisfied and happy Apple users will be downloading it and enjoying their new OS as soon as it's available. I can't say the same for another mobile platform which comes to mind, which mostly has a bunch of angry and ignorant users.

The OS of choice for retards and uneducated consumers is of course Android.

Only 1% of all Android users are even on the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS! Meanwhile Apple users with devices that are years old are running the latest version of iOS.

The overwhelming majority of Android users are still on Gingerbread, which is outdated, ancient and laughable!

I pity the fools who get suckered into buying and using such a shoddy OS.

Here's a little chart for all Fandroids to enjoy. How fucking pathetic is this chart?

Lucky for you that your superior intelligence allowed you to pick an i device. Must be nice sitting way up their on your high horse looking down upon all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Your chart didn't work, superior one , you are a credit to the i community.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is completely believable imho. We know the iPad 3 is done, probably millions already made, and 95% sure it has a retina screen. So this is just some Apple developers testing an early build of iOS 6 on one. Doesn't mean iOS 6 is coming out any time soon.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

Google has the most sporadic versioning system and release schedule. Chrome jumps an entire version with every update, I think they're up to 18 now? And Android's milestones are sometimes point releases. Doesn't make much sense.

What a disappointment and waste of time Honeycomb turned out to be. Totally skipped by just about everyone. Even Google was anxious to release ICS just to bury Honeycomb and leave it behind.

It'll be interesting to see if Amazon adopts ICS or if their Gingerbread codebase is so modified they won't be able to fold it in?