Apple highlights creation of 514,000 jobs in America

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple on Friday updated its website with a new section touting the company's role in directly creating or supporting more than a half-million jobs in the U.S.

The "Job Creation" page highlights the 514,000 total people Apple says are employed in 50 states because of Apple. Of those, 304,000 are related to engineering, manufacturing and transportation, while 210,000 alone are a result of the App Store and development of applications for the iOS platform.

"Throughout our history, Apple has created entirely new products — and entirely new industries — by focusing on innovation," the site reads. "As a result, we've created or supported more than 500,000 jobs for U.S. workers: from the engineer who helped invent the iPad to the delivery person who brings it to your door."

The page cites a study by Analysis Group which found that Apple has directly or indirectly created 304,000 U.S. jobs. Those include 47,000 jobs at Apple, and 257,000 jobs at other companies.

"For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees," the site states.

As for jobs related to the App Store, Apple cites a 2012 study by TechNet that found that 466,000 total jobs have been added to the U.S. economy related to mobile application development. Apple found that 45 percent of the job postings in the "app economy" are specifically tied to the iPhone and iOS.

Apple's decision to begin promoting its creation of jobs in the U.S. comes as the company has been under fire for its alignment with Foxconn and other China-based suppliers for its products. A story in January from The New York Times noted that Apple's reliance on overseas workers also gives the company greater flexibility, diligence and skilled labor availability.

When late Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs met with President Barack Obama last February, Obama reportedly asked Jobs why Apple is unable to bring its manufacturing operations back to the U.S. Jobs reportedly told the president, "Those jobs aren't coming back."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Private company can do what it wants. It owes America the country nothing. Sorry but it's true.
  • Reply 2 of 164
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    don't forget the lawyers jobs !
  • Reply 3 of 164
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a good example for others. The number of jobs is linked to the number of ideas people want to explore and the amount of capital to support that exploration.

The US traditionally has lots of ideas and lots of capital so the only reason for unemployment is (1) people who refuse to adapt to changing times, or (2) government regulations making new ideas too expensive to explore.

Go Apple and go the other innovators!
  • Reply 4 of 164
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    250,000 people are paying apple to to be their developers. But how many are making a profit?
  • Reply 5 of 164
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

250,000 people are paying apple to to be their developers. But how many are making a profit?

However many are good enough. Those who are not good enough are not. Should they be given cash just for trying?

This is like the first few chapters of Atlas Shrugged. Nonstop attacks on those who produce value by those who don't. Hope it doesn't have the same ending (at least for the sake of those who don't produce value)
  • Reply 6 of 164
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    FedEx and UPS employees? LOL
  • Reply 7 of 164
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Private company can do what it wants. It owes America the country nothing. Sorry but it's true.

Who is a private company?
  • Reply 8 of 164
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

A job is a job. It doesn't matter how much someone pays into it. How much does the average American pay for gas to drive to and from work everyday? I bet it's more than $100 a year. Apple's Developers Program fee is a drop in the bucket.

For those people who do not profit from it, they're more than likely hobbyists, who do it for the enjoyment and challenge, such as myself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

FedEx and UPS employees? LOL

Yes. They could be directly responsible for the increase in work force in many different industries, including UPS and FedEx. It's not hat hard to imagine. We're talking millions of shipments.
  • Reply 9 of 164
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

However many are good enough. Those who are not good enough are not. Should they be given cash just for trying?

This is like the first few chapters of Atlas Shrugged. Nonstop attacks on those who produce value by those who don't. Hope it doesn't have the same ending (at least for the sake of those who don't produce value)

No it's an attack to those who publish bs pr job creation data. Apple is indeed creating an app economy and they should be commended for this, and they have been - a lot - by myself included. But from there to claim that all 250,000 US devs that so many of them are students or hobbyists or just registering to get a few training vids and tools, are having a job created for them by apple while they are the ones paying apple instead is just sheer pr bs, and offensive one for that matter.

I have a higher opinion of myself, literature & philosophy than to read Ayn Rand, btw.
  • Reply 10 of 164
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Here we go again, people thinking there's no value in what others provide. Think you can do better with developing, distributing, and handling payments go right ahead. For everyone else, that 30% is money well spent to access the literally hundred of millions of iOS users.

I as a consumer couldn't care less if they are making a profit. If their app is great, I will pay for it. If the reviews are bad, I will most likely take my money elsewhere. That's the developer's problem, not mine. It will hopefully weed out the weekend-coder-wannabes and reward the folks that put in the real work.

The reality is that Apple is providing (at the minimum) an opportunity to make a lot of money for really good work, some money for decent and/or acceptable work, and zero money for the slackers looking to make a quick buck.

Complain elsewhere will ya?
  • Reply 11 of 164
    Manufacturing jobs are very different from Genius Bar jobs. Aren't 99% of the apps in the store free?

The starting pay for a UPS driver is $73,000+ after working for the company for several years in other parts of the company. Apple shipments are probably a drop in the bucket of what those people deliver.

This claim by Apple might be accurate in one aspect but it is essentially a smokescreen of BS for lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA.
  • Reply 12 of 164
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Who is a private company?

Perhaps poorly chosen words but I think he means publicly traded as opposed to publicly (government) owned.
  • Reply 13 of 164
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    "304,000 are related to engineering, manufacturing and transportation, while 210,000 alone are a result of the App Store and development of applications for the iOS platform."

Not counting Apple retail employees?
  • Reply 14 of 164
    There seem to be conflicting reports on what Jobs said regarding returning manufacturing jobs to America. According to Isaacson's book (page 546) he didn't tell Obama in the 2011 meeting that "those jobs are not coming back." Instead, he suggested concrete ways to bring them back:

He noted that Apple needed 30,000 engineers on-site to support its 700,000 Chinese factory workers. "You can't find that many in America to hire," Isaacson quotes him as saying, but Jobs went on to explain that they didn't need PhDs, but just basic engineering skills gained from technical schools and community colleges. "If you could educate these engineers," he said,"we could move more manufacturing plants here."
  • Reply 15 of 164
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The starting pay for a UPS driver is $73,000+ after working for the company for several years in other parts of the company.

Dayam, that's pretty sweet. I wonder just exactly how many of them were counted.

Did they also count the salespeople at ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy, Target and Walmart.
  • Reply 16 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Manufacturing jobs are very different from Genius Bar jobs. Aren't 99% of the apps in the store free?

The starting pay for a UPS driver is $73,000+ after working for the company for several years in other parts of the company. Apple shipments are probably a drop in the bucket of what those people deliver.

This claim by Apple might be accurate in one aspect but it is essentially a smokescreen of BS for lack of manufacturing jobs in the USA.

What's BS is people only seem to bitch about Apple when it comes to jobs overseas. And the same holier that thou crowd still goes out and buys Apple devices...while bitching abut their stuff being assembledin China.
  • Reply 17 of 164
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    If the jobs of UPS and FEDEX are being counted because of shipments of Apple products then I can only imagine how many jobs Amazon has created? Or Newegg or any of the other thousands of companies that ship things each day. Seems like a stretch.
  • Reply 18 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I would argue that would be a matter of perspective. I suspect Apple as a company, and also Tim Cook possess a large degree of social conscience and sense of responsibility. Generally the larger a company, or institution become, the more their actions will impact on a significant number of normal people's lives, and as such you could argue that morally, it can no longer do what it wants. It must at least consider the social implications of its actions. Likewise, it may technically 'owe America nothing', but I am not so sure Apple would publicly show America its middle finger.
  • Reply 19 of 164
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Judging from the ignorant posts in this thread so far I'm guessing this information won't make it to the tech media at large anytime soon. After all Apple has been dragged through the mud and convicted of evil by the haters and click baiters so any positive PR move by the company will be snickered at. See posts above.

But Apple is big enough to take the blows from clueless idiots who infest tech sites like AI.
  • Reply 20 of 164
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    I don't like to comment on jobs or China because when I did last time I got blasted, when no one knows anything about me, where I live or where I am coming from. So I'll gladly go a different direction this time...

Nearly all major technology companies are manufacturing in China or somewhere other than the US. I sort of feel sorry for Apple. Since they are the ones growing by leaps and bounds and posting profits in the billions, they are the only ones catching all the crap.

Apple needs to be careful though. It is not used to being portrayed as the big, bad bully. I really think they are trying to maintain their image. When releasing things like this people will ultimately fire back and try to tear down their claims. I think they are going to have to accept that they are becoming a company that some people love to hate. The Linux hippies were OK (they can more quickly list who they like), but having a more mainstream hatred is not sitting well with Apple. They've always been the company progressives love, and now they are starting to turn on them.

No matter what good you do, there is always going to be some neck-bearded hippie to point out all the evil you do is far worse.

For the record, I am not saying Apple is the new Microsoft. Google is the new Microsoft.