US Air Force awards $9M contract for up to 18,000 iPads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

They probably wanted updates after more than a year.

Plus they probably also wanted to avoid this newspaper headline:

"Virus takes down U.S. Air Force Plane"

Sort of sounds like a "Weekly World News" headline.

"Targeted Ads Take Aim At Air Force!: 4 dead in fatal crash, but they got 10% off coats at Eddie Bauer"
  • Reply 62 of 82
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Too bad they had to put in the "or similar unit clause". The Asus transformer prime does way more at the same price.

Except has flight certified EFB software. Of course, it can do more. Just keep telling yourself that enough and you might be able to actually sleep better at night.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    I'm pretty sure Jobs himself won't be too happy if his products was used for and partly responsible for the deaths of millions.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think they admire Apple's iron fisted control and locked down security policies since they are control freak organizations too.

The ironic part of this post is that the military don't normally use Macs or Mac products precisely because of the tight lockdown of their software. I ask several civilian IT guys why the military doesn't use Macs and almost to the person they said "Macs are too hard to write and overlay code for securing the PC's to our standards," to which I said, so you don't use Macs because their already too secure ... they replied "Yeah, basically." I had to laugh at that one.

iPads are basically the same way as it's indisputable the software is more secure in their Walled Garden then say, Android. However, due to the nature of the software on a tablet, it's hard to overwrite the code and have the item function as intended. The military will likely use the software that comes with the iPads, which is why they likely chose the more secure iPad over an Android tablet.

We'll still never see Macs in the military work environment, which is kinda sad, but it's what we have.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

In this day and age, I can't imagine the military using anything but their own apps and combing through the innards of iOS to ensure everything is tight.

Surprisingly why didn't they fork Android and build a custom, "free" solution?

The US government is already building out and using a customized version of Android for use in areas where security is important. There's even specific Android-based phones already approved for use by DoD in areas where communications security is the utmost concern. No apple products are yet approved for those uses.

I think SolipsismX already knows "holes" in Android are certainly no worse than those in iOS and Android is definitely easier to lock down than iOS is for now. He's just making up for mentioning how good Chrome security is in another thread.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I? believe "General Oogie Boogie" could be construed as racist, but it has been a while since that terminology has had that connotation. The rest just looks like a caricaturization of Zimbabwe's lack of progress and indeed could probably be reapplied to virtually any dictatorial country in a mocking fashion.

Huh? Is Zimbabwe a country or "race"? My dictionary says it's a country.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on the context I think it's safe to say that he meant oogie boogie to denote someone who is primitive to the point of being perceived as less than human.

The top search results for the words "oogie boogie" returns links to Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Reply 68 of 82
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???

No it doesn't. It can be a standard COTS item.

It could be but 18,000 units at that price? I am going to do a little digging and see how they are procuring these.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Cost has literally nothing to do with it. It has to packaged and labeled a certain way with the government part number. Some companies are accommodating to military requirements for all others it's third parties that step in and repackage re label.

You also have to be on the GSA list. I'm not sure if Apple is, but they should be.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

We'll still never see Macs in the military work environment, which is kinda sad, but it's what we have.

The military has been researching and implementing the use of all different OS platforms as to not become vulnerable to a single point of failure in case of an attack on their network. A Windows virus does not usually infect a Mac and visa versa. Same with Linux.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The top search results for the words "oogie boogie" returns links to Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas

There was concern that name for the boogie man would be seen as racist, but that's beside the point. A term that was never used in a racist way can seen be racist if the context implies otherwise.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The US government is already building out and using a customized version of Android for use in areas where security is important. There's even specific Android-based phones already approved for use by DoD in areas where communications security is the utmost concern. No apple products are yet approved for those uses.

I think SolipsismX already knows "holes" in Android are certainly no worse than those in iOS and Android is definitely easier to lock down than iOS is for now. He's just making up for mentioning how good Chrome security is in another thread.

No, NSA has produced a secure variant of Android which is available to vendors who wish to produce adequately secure cell phones. There are two variants of this variant, one for government sales and one for commercial use. To date, no "secure Android phones" have been marketed; they may show up in the fall. The question of 'holes' in iOS is a non-sequator because Apple probably has not submitted the SW to NSA for testing.

The US Army moved its non-secure network onto Mac HW/SW in the late 90s because of 'security concerns'; it still runs on Macs.

Cheers
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

No, NSA has produced a secure variant of Android which is available to vendors who wish to produce adequately secure cell phones. There are two variants of this variant, one for government sales and one for commercial use. To date, no "secure Android phones" have been marketed; they may show up in the fall. The question of 'holes' in iOS is a non-sequator because Apple probably has not submitted the SW to NSA for testing.

The US Army moved its non-secure network onto Mac HW/SW in the late 90s because of 'security concerns'; it still runs on Macs.

Cheers

The Dell Venue smartphone with their 2.2 variant is already approved according to news reports from late last year.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/28/2...rtment-defense

The Dell Streak 5 is also approved as of January this year according to this article.

http://gcn.com/articles/2012/01/05/d...m-for-dod.aspx

What you might instead be referring to is the NSA's plan to move to commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) Android phones for their secure classified uses since all the proper standards exist already for Android. So far they haven't identified a standard commercially available phone that meets all their needs and so they were forced into a modified Android OS as a stop-gap. They expect off-the-shelf Android phones to be available for NSA classified communications needs later in the year.

Kudos for being aware of that tho. Are you perhaps involved with the project in some way?
  • Reply 74 of 82
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franck View Post

Well $79 out of 599 is NOT substantial and nothing to brag about.

In fact, it's pretty lame for a few thousand units.

That $520 includes support and setup ($9.36m/18,000), which seems to me that means they are picking up the iPads themselves pretty cheap.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    I see the Air Force getting a free copy of "Angry Air Force Birds".
  • Reply 76 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

I see the Air Force getting a free copy of "Angry Air Force Birds".

I wonder if pilots are playing Fight Control HD on flights...
  • Reply 77 of 82
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Dell Venue smartphone with their 2.2 variant is already approved according to news reports from late last year.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/28/2...rtment-defense

The Dell Streak 5 is also approved as of January this year according to this article.

http://gcn.com/articles/2012/01/05/d...m-for-dod.aspx

What you might instead be referring to is the NSA's plan to move to commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) Android phones for their secure classified uses since all the proper standards exist already for Android. So far they haven't identified a standard commercially available phone that meets all their needs and so they were forced into a modified Android OS as a stop-gap. They expect off-the-shelf Android phones to be available for NSA classified communications needs later in the year.

Kudos for being aware of that tho. Are you perhaps involved with the project in some way?

No, your original cite was for general purpose/unsecure military use, as per your subsequent links. My reference was to the creation of a "secure" OS for uses supervised by NSA. The intent from NSA is that vendors can create their own 'secure' phones using the specs and SW from NSA.

I'm not involved in the project, but I was Security Officer of a unit which had oversight by NSA.

Cheers
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

No, your original cite was for general purpose/unsecure military use, as per your subsequent links. My reference was to the creation of a "secure" OS for uses supervised by NSA. The intent from NSA is that vendors can create their own 'secure' phones using the specs and SW from NSA.

I'm not involved in the project, but I was Security Officer of a unit which had oversight by NSA.

Cheers

I guess you confused me when I said there were already specific Android phones approved by the DoD for areas "where communications security is the utmost concern" and you said "No".

Quoted from my second link:

"The Defense Information Systems Agency has certified a secure Android-based mobile system for use by Defense Department agencies. The system allows DOD personnel to sign, encrypt and decrypt e-mail, and securely access data from a smart phone or tablet computer.

... Developed by Good Technology for use on DOD-approved Dell Streak 5 smart phones, the capability meets DOD Directive 8100.2 that requires the use of secure, multipurpose Internet mail extension together with with a DOD common access card and interoperability with the DOD’s public-key infrastructure. "

So what was your "No" referring to?
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Don't sweat it, he hates everyone.....except himself, his girlfriend (although she's a woman and, therefore, just a sexual object) and Apple users.

Actually, that should be "and US Apple users". He doesn't give a rat's a** about anyone from the "3rd world" who is an Apple User either!!
  • Reply 80 of 82
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So now the American Air Force is helping to kill Chinese citizens.

18,000 units. That's a lot of dead Foxconn employees when you work out the percentages.

Wait till the New York Times runs with this...

And the laid off Foxconn employees lives happily ever after!

No, sir. I am and any sane human should be happy that Apple is giving contracts to Foxconn so they can employ more people who would have been unemployed otherwise. So, what if some useless, good for nothing people remain unemployed....

What do you prefer, people earning somewhat lower salary or people starving to death?

BTW: Just for your info, suicide rate at Foxconn is lower than US suicide rate.