More alleged third-gen iPad parts suggest just minor changes to design

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    I wish Apple would at least include 4G for future-proofing purposes. I mean, Apple's doing that with Thunderbolt. I have ZERO thunderbolt devices, yet I have a port on my computer just in case. Does a 4G compatible device still suck a ton of power even when it can only find a 3G network?

Also, I think the "4G eats up too much battery-life" argument is getting a little old. There are some pretty nice 4G phones out there that have overcome the battery-life hurdle.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok good one just ignore the barely used feature of your argument. LTE time has come. IPad without is Fail with a capital F. Unless of course you choose the Wifi. I am already using LTE on my iPad and I don't think those who dismiss it as irrelevant have ever used it. LTE rocks

There's no LTE in my city (of 700,000 people), so no, obviously the time has not come, not for a lot of people. If they do decide to include it, great. If they don't, I honestly don't think it will be a deal breaker for most people and they will be able to get away with it.

Some of you people really over-estimate the technical knowledge most people who have an iPad. Reality isn't a tech blog. I think if you ask 9/10 people what LTE is they'll look at you funny.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I guess it all comes down to cost/maintaining profit margins

Of course, but that doesn't factor in why Apple why they don't offer a 128GB model at a higher price point. As you astutely point out they can put 2x64GB chips without having to use a smaller lithography.

Note that the $999 MBA has a 64GB SSD.

Quote:

I honestly think that 16GB is too little with an iPad 3 with double the resolution. No to mention Apple wanting to get into the textbook market with these huge 1 to 3GB textbooks. And then you'll have apps with larger textures, etc.

There is certainly an argument there but I think 16GB for education will be fine for a couple years. We still need to see if Books Author takes off for textbooks.

Quote:

I honestly would like to see 32/64/128. If Apple goes this route, I'd buy the 64GB WiFi model for $600. If Apple punks out and gives us 16/32/64GB again, I'll buy the 32GB model for $600.

I hope they can maintain the same price points with the HiDPI display and all it's needed components but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see it go up. This tech doesn't seem cheap or easy in any regard. Adding the Retina Display and doubling the NAND flash at the same price point... that would shock me.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't know why tipsters have to give so little info. They could have at least said where they found it so we have some context. Ah well, roll on Wednesday.

Probably because Apple will track them down too easily and have them prosecuted.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you'd forgo a product because it lacks a barely-used feature for a completely different product in a completely different market segment?

You're assuming barely used. Maybe for you.

Also, it's not a completely different product no matter how you spin it. They're both part of the tablet market. One just happens to have a phone in it as well.

Don't kid your self people.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Also, I think the "4G eats up too much battery-life" argument is getting a little old. There are some pretty nice 4G phones out there that have overcome the battery-life hurdle.

The argument is certainly becoming less true but LTE certainly used more than '3G'. That said, were on 3rd gen LTE chips at the 28nm process now (which is why I won't be surprised if the iPad gets that option). What that means is that LTE is now more power efficient than the original '3G' in the iPhone 3G (at least that is how I'd describe it though there are other factors at play).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Some of you people really over-estimate the technical knowledge most people who have an iPad. Reality isn't a tech blog. I think if you ask 9/10 people what LTE is they'll look at you funny.

• Reply 67 of 108
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

"Good enough" is how you go from market leader to an also ran. They have the lead in tablet computing - padding their pockets for year by making a device that isn't cutting edge will harm the company.

Not if the competition hasn't even competed with the iPad 1st generation yet.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

There's no LTE in my city (of 700,000 people), so no, obviously the time has not come, not for a lot of people. If they do decide to include it, great. If they don't, I honestly don't think it will be a deal breaker for most people and they will be able to get away with it.

People have heard about 3G for years so if Apple omits 4G from the iPad they will hear non stop criticism on the evening news. I think that 4G is something they can understand even if they have no clue what LTE is
  • Reply 69 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mellott124 View Post

Also, it's not a completely different product no matter how you spin it.

5" device, stylus.

10" device, no stylus.

Different devices. Put an iPad in your pocket.

Don't kid yourself.
  • Reply 70 of 108
    Quote:

People have heard about 3G for years so if Apple omits 4G from the iPad they will hear non stop criticism on the evening news. I think that 4G is something they can understand even if they have no clue what LTE is

Agreed. But then again, those who rely on TV news for tech advice are the same people who will buy the popular product, which is, at this point, the Apple product.

Many people will buy the new iPad no matter what the specs are. That is just the way it goes. For now.

In 5 years? Who knows?

If normal people's friends razz them because their Apple stuff has perceptible limitations, they will think twice about buying Apple again. As of now, buying Apple makes them...normal.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Agreed. But then again, those who rely on TV news for tech advice are the same people who will buy the popular product, which is, at this point, the Apple product.

Many people will buy the new iPad no matter what the specs are. That is just the way it goes. For now.

In 5 years? Who knows?

If normal people's friends razz them because their Apple stuff has perceptible limitations, they will think twice about buying Apple again. As of now, buying Apple makes them...normal.

Modern consumers are so brainwashed they will buy whatever they are told to buy. Personally I think iPad has many limitations but that doesn't stop my clients from asking for iPad apps for their businesses when actually they should be more concerned with removing the stupid Flash banners from their website. As stated, I don't care one way or the other since I'm already covered with my tethering solution, but I think Apple will include LTE in the next iPad or they are risking a backlash from the press.
  • Reply 72 of 108
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    A minor change in design? Not at all: https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...32874873405440
  • Reply 73 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

?Apple will include LTE in the next iPad or they are risking a backlash from the press.

Except none of that matters. The press can whine all they want. The Android crowd can whine all they want. The device is good and it does what people want.

Could Apple put hardware in there that caps speeds to 5kbps? No. But 3G is still fine for people's needs, particularly when they're already capped to 3GB and LTE would just get them there faster.

I dunno, I think they actually might put LTE in it. But you'll see more backlash from putting LTE in and people hitting their quotas a halfway through the month than if they didn't put it in.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

Apple does seem to change the device name with major exterior changes (3G-3GS, 4->4S).

What was the "major change" from the iPad to the iPad 2? It was nothing like the iPhone changes between name changes. The 2G-->3G iPhone looked very different. The 3GS-->4 looked VERY different and was a good reason for a name change.

Maybe they don't have the same theory for the iPads because honestly I do not see much of a difference between the form factor/material of the iPad vs the iPad 2.

Therefore I think the third-gen iPad will be the iPad 3.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    Quote:

but I think Apple will include LTE in the next iPad or they are risking a backlash from the press.

I believe the ground-breaking retina display will keep the press busy. Of course they always find something to complain about (antennagate) but it never phased the iPhone, which is similar to numerous other examples people have pointed out.

Does anyone have a reliable breakdown of the iPads purchased comparing Wifi to 3G?
  • Reply 76 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

A minor change in design? Not at all: https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...32874873405440

Yeah, not sure what the hell would be defined as a major design change. Triangular? Octagonal? Damned if I know.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Quote:

Yeah, not sure what the hell would be defined as a major design change. Triangular? Octagonal? Damned if I know.

Methinks they are judging it as minor based on the look of the product when turned off. It's like someone who had surgery to change their eye color. With their eyes closed, one might say "meh, I don't see anything worth paying $10000 for".

Ok, not the best analogy. But you get my pt
  • Reply 78 of 108
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Why in the hell would I buy and LTE iPad when I can use any LTE smartphone to connect my iPad to in order to get internet?
  • Reply 79 of 108
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I love the fact that some people are disappointed in the next iPad before it even gets announced. Blathering on about how they won't get one because it won't have (insert something they will rarely use) and then say they'll get a (insert an already released disappointment).

Here's an idea, wait until its announce first. If you still don't want one, don't buy one. Don't come crying to us when you are disappointed in it.
  • Reply 80 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why in the hell would I buy and LTE iPad when I can use any LTE smartphone to connect my iPad to in order to get internet?

I never understood it either.

It makes more sense to me to use tethering from a phone to give internet access to an iPad, your laptop, a friend's laptop, etc.

Why limit it to one device when you can have many?