More alleged third-gen iPad parts suggest just minor changes to design

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Quit whining.

Apple can make lots of profits by selling an extra 16 Gigs for $100.

Allowing customers to go buy an SD card instead of paying Apple for the increased storage is not the most profitable route for Apple. There is NO reason why they have failed to include an SD slot except for the ability to make more profits by excluding it.

You want extra storage? Buy it from Apple. Not from some third party. Sheesh.

You'd think Apple is doing this stuff for the customer, instead of the shareholders. It don't work like that.

I love the way the Apple haters insist on babbling about things as if they have some real knowledge.

There is obviously no way you could possibly know what you are claiming unless you're part of the Apple board. Perhaps they did it because SD card readers are unreliable in a system that size. Or perhaps they couldn't find one thin enough to meet their standards.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You don't think that people are more likely to use their phone (or tablet) to download data if it's faster?

Not if there are data caps.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Because not everybody wants to carry around two devices to do one thing. Plus, since you're on an Apple board, very few people on here have an LTE smartphone to tether.

I think people are missing the obvious reason why/why not having LTE is important.

LTE is rolled out in large population centers, eg New York, LA, etc. The very same areas the wireless companies are complaining about about data hogs. Demand for LTE has to come from the wireless companies when they have equivalent coverage for LTE as they do for their 2G network. LTE is not backwards compatible with the 2G or 3/3.5G networks already rolled out, it requires additional support in the chip just like in the upgrade from 2G to 3G. Qualcomm has a chip for it now.

If you read why the iPhone 4/4S/iPad2 didn't come with LTE it's again, because there was no chip suitable. The LTE chip that Qualcomm had was a full separate ARM CPU and/or would only be suitable for data, not voice at the time.

It's a chicken and egg scenario, Apple might include LTE in the next iDevice, but it will only work with LTE networks in the US, Canada, Mexico and anywhere else that adopts EXACTLY the same frequency bands. In case you haven't seen the PCB for the iPad, the 3G radio is detachable (unlike the iPhone), therefor it's much much easier for Apple to create one PCB for the iPad 3, and then adjust output for the different 3G models as demand increases or decreases. So even if there is no LTE at launch, they could still add it at some point before the next version comes out if they needed to.

But people carrying two devices are missing the entire point. Jim Bob from off the street is going to go into the store and buy a fancy new iPad 3 that works with their wireless carrier because they can only afford one device, not two. It may even be subsidized.

Two separate devices or a MiFi type device is a poor excuse that doesn't fly unless you have multiple devices to manage in the first place. Like maybe you're on a family trip you might have one device with wireless that you can control availability of, and your kids and spouse might have their own iPod/iPad devices.

If I'm just travelling to see Grandma, I'm taking only the tablet because ol' granny doesn't even own a computer so there won't be WiFi there. Who cares if it's LTE or not, it just has to work.

Quote:

There is NO reason why they have failed to include an SD slot except for the ability to make more profits by excluding it.

That's rather naive considering you can buy an Apple -SD card adapter. It probably has more to do with there not being a way to include it on the iPhone and iPad if most people aren't going to use it, or security concerns. Apple could put a MicroSDXC slot on it, but then people would complain that they can't install apps to it, or someone would inevitably figure out how to jailbreak the device with it. Note it's marketed as "Camera Kit" and only lets you copy data from the card to the iPad.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Not if there are data caps.

I guess no one has explained how 'data caps' work to you.

When you hit the cap, you can continue to download and you are charged for the extra data. it's not like your phone quits working when you hit the cap.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    thehectathehecta Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Let me guess - you were one of the ones whining that the iPhone 4S wasn't a 'real' upgrade, too. Right?

You really need to get past simply looking at the case. In the case of the 4S, for example, virtually everything about the phone other than the case was changed. That's a major upgrade. The equivalent would be replacing a Hyundai with a BMW, but keeping the same tires. Would you still be complaining that it wasn't an upgrade?

Same thing with the iPad 3. If it truly does have a Retina Display, that is a major upgrade even if nothing else has changed. The display is the key to this device and a drastic improvement in the display is critical. Plus, faster speed is important, as well.

Unfortunately, I'm still convinced that some of the rumored 'features' are coming from short sellers who hope to profit from the share price drop when it turns out that the product doesn't meet all the hype.

I was not someone complaining about the 4S. I'm trying to figure out what your point is here. When does Apple make a name change and what do you think the third-gen iPad will be called? Just to be clear.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Apple includes/excludes features depending on total profits. They often exclude a feature from the current product if it would be more profitable to hold it in reserve for the next iteration.

And you know this how? Are you a senior Apple executive? Or are you just blowing smoke up your own ass? I suspect you don't know anything but your own beliefs, hopes, and speculations.

Got proof to support your claims? I didn't think so.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

I love the way the Apple haters insist on babbling about things as if they have some real knowledge.

There is obviously no way you could possibly know what you are claiming unless you're part of the Apple board.

Of course he's not a member of the board. Apple wouldn't hire a janitor with his lack of loyalty to the company.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Quit whining.

Apple can make lots of profits by selling an extra 16 Gigs for $100.

Allowing customers to go buy an SD card instead of paying Apple for the increased storage is not the most profitable route for Apple. There is NO reason why they have failed to include an SD slot except for the ability to make more profits by excluding it.

You want extra storage? Buy it from Apple. Not from some third party. Sheesh.

You'd think Apple is doing this stuff for the customer, instead of the shareholders. It don't work like that.

There are plenty of tablets with SD slots that can't sell one percent of what the iPad does. Clearly it isn't all that important of a feature.