• Reply 81 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    iPad = Post PC product

iPod = Music player
  • Reply 82 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At least we agree on this. I still question the validity of adding the complexity of a new size at this point but I still think that adding it to the iPod line over the iPad line seems like the better route for a multitude of reasons.

So you agree with me Only joking. It's good to have a decent debate on a boring Monday evening.

I take your point but a new size would:

1. Attract new customers who thought the iPad was bit too big. Most of my female friends have a Kindle simply because it fits in their handbag. Stupid I know but there you go.

2. Be cheaper than the current models thereby attracting people who maybe can't afford an iPad without devaluing the iPad brand. Would take sales away from the Kindle Fire and keep customers inside the Apple ecosystem.

3. Probably be more comfortable for kids to hold and cheaper for their parents to buy. Have you seen the latest Kindle ad?
  • Reply 83 of 88
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iPod = Music player

Maybe someone should tell Apple that coz I just checked their website.

See for yourself... http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
  • Reply 84 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Do they both use the same processor - yes or no?

They are both based off of ARM designs but they are not the same processor. They aren't even the same SoCs or PoPs. Are there a lot of similarities between them? Of course. You could even say they are evolutions of each other in many regards but they aren't exactly the same. For example, the A4 SoC in the iPhone 4 came with 512MB RAM and the and A4 SoC in the iPad came with 256MB RAM.

Quote:

Do they both use the same operating system - yes or no?

Yes, they both use iOS but we could also say that OS X and iOS are the same because they both use Darwin OS and share a lot of frameworks. Of course iOS for iPhone and iOS and iPad are more similar than to OS X but they are distinct builds using two different UIs.

Quote:

Is the UI optimised for the respective screen size - yes or no?[

Apple could make a 25" iPad and it would basically be the same. The ONLY difference is that the UI is optimised for the screen size. That is because the the OS is not capable of scaling itself to match the screen size. That's why you have to buy the same app twice if you want it on your iPod and iPad.

/QUOTE]

That is my point. You have to alter the UI so that it matches the primary I/O, the touchscreen. Apple doesn't do this willy nilly because they know that each device will be fundamentally different when you scale up or down. Hence, a new UI will need to be made for a new size.

Quote:

That however does not make them fundamentally different products in the same way that an iPad and a MacBook are different products.

Not in the same way, but you keep saying " ONLY difference" when there are a lot more than the ones you mention.

For instance, is the G4 iPod Touch and iPhone 4S displays the same? They are both 960x640 displays? If you said they are the same you'd be wrong. One is an IPS panel and other is TN, as I've stated before. Now those technical initialisms don't matter to the customer but the customer can look at both and notice the colour doesn't shift on one and does on the other even if they don't know why. It also means a lot to Apple because it cuts down on the cost of the display. But if we only look at some very small, usually marketable, aspect of a device or component we may think it's not different even though there are significant differences.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Agreed. This is more about spreading FUD prior to the release of the iPad 3.

...And as all the smaller iPad imitators have amply demonstrated, a 7 inch tablet is less popular than the current iPad.

I doubt if the dismal sales of other tablets has anything to do with the screen size. The technically illiterate making a safe decision, confusion about what Android is, the Apple aura, the App store, etc, etc, etc.

I have an iPhone, a Touch and an iPad. I've looked at the Galaxy 7 (nice) but was unwilling to leave the eco system. I would buy a 7.85" iPad in a heartbeat. Its a lovely size for reading and gaming. And, it would be a whole lot lighter.

As to price, it's also irrelevant. The difference between a 128 GB 11" and 13" Air is less than $100. Yet about half the Air's sold are the 11".
  • Reply 86 of 88
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I doubt this report.

It doesn't seem worth it for apple to fragment it's platform. Optimal interfaces are different for different size screens. Developers can barely support the two current sizes so adding a third would guarantee that much of the time, we'd be looking at things that were either sized too big or too small for the device at hand.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is my point. You have to alter the UI so that it matches the primary I/O, the touchscreen. Apple doesn't do this willy nilly because they know that each device will be fundamentally different when you scale up or down. Hence, a new UI will need to be made for a new size.

Do you think that an 9.7" iPad screen shrunk into a 7.8" screen with the same resolution would require tweaks to the ui? I find the the ui controls on the iPad well generous and imagine no tweaks would be required for most aspects of the OS or apps. A scaled down ui won't appeal to everyone but this may not be a bad thing, necessarily.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Maybe someone should tell Apple that coz I just checked their website.

See for yourself... http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Very true, but virtually every one of the activities depicted would be enhanced with a larger screen. At the cost of true portability, I know, but an awful lot of people don't require their device to fit in a pocket. Transpose those activities to an iPad and it becomes overkill in most cases.

It really is very similar to the three MBP sizes. they can all do the same, but each excel at certain tasks better than the others.