What key do you press to keep a disk from mounting?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
There is a key you can hold to keep a disk from mounting to the desktop. What key is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    I didn't realize there was a way to do that. I ran in to the need for that very thing yesterday. So, sorry I don't have an answer. Just posting to bump and say I'd like to know as well.

Anybody?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    on startup?

hold mouse-button down - this will eject cd.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Come on you Gurus--someone has to remember how to do this! ***Note I am on OS 9
  • Reply 4 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you mean a disk or a HD?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    give us some details!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I think he means (or at least this is what I'm interested in knowing): you put a CD in the drive, but you don't want it to mount. You just want it to sit there.

Here's a simple example of why you might want this. You have a CDRW with stuff burned on it. You want to use Toast to erase the CDRW and burn something else on it. Problem is, in Toast (OS X at least), you can't erase a CDRW if it's mounted. But when you go to unmount it, it spits it out of the drive. I had to do this very thing the other day. I finally figured out that I needed to erase the CDRW using Apple's Disk Utility, but it would have been nice to stick the CDRW in while using Toast without having it mount.

I'm interested in the OS X solution to this, but 9 would be nice to know too.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>I think he means (or at least this is what I'm interested in knowing): you put a CD in the drive, but you don't want it to mount. You just want it to sit there.

Here's a simple example of why you might want this. You have a CDRW with stuff burned on it. You want to use Toast to erase the CDRW and burn something else on it. Problem is, in Toast (OS X at least), you can't erase a CDRW if it's mounted. But when you go to unmount it, it spits it out of the drive. I had to do this very thing the other day. I finally figured out that I needed to erase the CDRW using Apple's Disk Utility, but it would have been nice to stick the CDRW in while using Toast without having it mount.

I'm interested in the OS X solution to this, but 9 would be nice to know too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

with old versions of toast (don't kno what vers #, but under OS 8.6 i think) you had to have toast as the top application when popping in the disc. it would intercept the disc from the OS, and not let it get mounted. that might also work in osx. i dont know of any way of doing this in osx tho. you can `ignore` a blank cd when u insert it. but, i don't know how to not-mount a cd that has stuff on it without taking it out of the drive.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong> [Toast] would intercept the disc from the OS, and not let it get mounted. that might also work in osx.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess it doesn't. That's exactly what I was doing (Toast in foreground, insert CDRW). The disc got mounted in the background and Toast wouldn't erase it. No biggie, Disk Utility erase it fine.

Oh wait, I just realized, this was with the Toast OS X Preview version. Perhaps it works with the real version.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Okay, I have traditionally used this with floppies and zips. Lets say they get corrupt and crash the computer upon mounting. The solution? Stick in norton. Then holding the magic key(s) put in the bad disk. It will be kept from mounting (and therefor crashing). Then I run norton. Norton can see the disk (so can disk first aid) and now I can do repairs. I assume the same principle would apply when mounting a hard disk. I KNOW this is possible because I've done it... I just can't remember how....
  • Reply 10 of 15
    olliolli Posts: 39member
    [quote]Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself:

<strong>Okay, I have traditionally used this with floppies and zips. Lets say they get corrupt and crash the computer upon mounting. The solution? Stick in norton. Then holding the magic key(s) put in the bad disk. It will be kept from mounting (and therefor crashing). Then I run norton. Norton can see the disk (so can disk first aid) and now I can do repairs. I assume the same principle would apply when mounting a hard disk. I KNOW this is possible because I've done it... I just can't remember how....</strong><hr></blockquote>

there is a key combination to not mount network drives on startup (i'm 100% sure of that).

I don't know it anymore though and since the til.info.apple.com disappeared , it is a hell to find any info on apple.com
  • Reply 11 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by olli:

<strong>

there is a key combination to not mount network drives on startup (i'm 100% sure of that).

I don't know it anymore though and since the til.info.apple.com disappeared , it is a hell to find any info on apple.com</strong><hr></blockquote>

(from apple)

Eject floppy or other removable media

Hold down the mouse button on boot
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dang it, that is NOT the question. Perhaps read the thread before your 'hold down the mouse button' post.
  • Reply 13 of 15

<strong>Okay, I have traditionally used this with floppies and zips. Lets say they get corrupt and crash the computer upon mounting. The solution? Stick in norton. Then holding the magic key(s) put in the bad disk. It will be kept from mounting (and therefor crashing). Then I run norton. Norton can see the disk (so can disk first aid) and now I can do repairs. I assume the same principle would apply when mounting a hard disk. I KNOW this is possible because I've done it... I just can't remember how....</strong><hr></blockquote>

When that happens to me I run Disk Firstaid. It does not mount the media on the device when Disk Firstaid is the top app. When you complete the analysis the media will only be mounted if the formatting is determined to be correct(even if files or directory are still bad). If not, you need to run the fix. If it can repair the format than it will mount after the repair process completes. SOL for foriegn media though.

Occasionally I get the "Do you want to format the disk" question on floppies/zips that are known to have a Mac format with data on them when the Mac tries to mount it. I have used Disk Firstaid to fix those too.

Your hands won't have to play Button Twister and your brain doesn't have to remember the right moves.

However, when I have tried Disk Firstaid on a HD that won't mount, Disk Firstaid does not see it so it can not fix it.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 15

<strong>dang it, that is NOT the question. Perhaps read the thread before your 'hold down the mouse button' post.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read the thread. Probably the next time I won't.

(and please when asking support on a forum , don't be so arrogant to bash the people who TRY to help)
  • Reply 15 of 15
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>I think he means (or at least this is what I'm interested in knowing): you put a CD in the drive, but you don't want it to mount. You just want it to sit there.

I'm interested in the OS X solution to this, but 9 would be nice to know too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you have the option to ignore blank cdrs in 10.2(system prefs)

dunno about an os9 solution