Apple seeks up to $15 per Android device in settlements offered to Motorola, Samsung

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You keep saying that, but at the time, it was clear that they were asking for 2.25% per patent - and Google affirmed that number.

I've already challenged you twice before to prove that Google and/or Motorola said they want 2.25% for each patent they contributed to a standard. You've already demonstrated you don't have evidence showing you're correct.

I guess it still doesn't prevent you from continuing to spread a half-truth tho. Maybe if you repeat it often enough it will become one of those "everyone knows" facts?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No matter how many times that's claimed, it's still wrong. Show me proof that Motorola or Google says they want 2.25% for each individual patent in a standard and you get to be the one that proves me wrong. I've asked others several times and so far no results.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've already challenged you twice before to prove that Google and/or Motorola said they want 2.25% for each patent they contributed to a standard. You've already demonstrated you don't have evidence showing you're correct.

I guess it still doesn't prevent you from continuing to spread a half-truth tho. Maybe if you repeat it often enough it will become one of those "everyone knows" facts?

And several time I have responded with the Moto filings. I cannot downl;oad German court docs, so I have to take the word of someone who can:

Quote:

Motorola likens its enforcement of FRAND patents to bank robbery: 'it only takes one bullet to kill'

Patent litigation is full of surprises, but what I learned this afternoon is beyond belief. Based on what was said in open court today in Mannheim, Germany, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Motorola Mobility submitted an expert report on patent royalties according to which a single patent that is essential to an industry standard is pretty much as valuable as a large number of patents on the same standard because, in the context of a bank robbery, "it only takes one bullet to kill", reducing the importance of any additional bullets in the same gun.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2012...cement-of.html

Go ahead and quibble on language that does not meet your overly narrow definition simply because it was uttered before you made up your very narrow question terms, but there is no way for a reasonable person to come to any conclusion other than Moto is claiming a single patent at 2.25%. There are anecdotal reports of the Moto lead lawyer saying after this case is finished they will sue on the next one for 2.25% because the gun will have been reloaded.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Simply on principle, Apple should be demanding at least $100/per handset. Hell, $200. Shut em out as far as I'm concerned. Let them go back to their blackberry clone before Schmidt caught wind of what Apple did.

And should Motorola and Samsung demand the same in return for use of their patented tech?
  • Reply 64 of 72
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

So for trolls when Apple go for a licensing deal they "blinked first", but when they try to block others using their technology they are stifling innovation?

Enough with labeling people as trolls every chance you get. You may think of it as some kind of membership password, but it just makes you seem devoid of sound, rational, intelligent arguments.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And several time I have responded with the Moto filings. I cannot downl;oad German court docs, so I have to take the word of someone who can:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2012...cement-of.html

Go ahead and quibble on language that does not meet your overly narrow definition simply because it was uttered before you made up your very narrow question terms, but there is no way for a reasonable person to come to any conclusion other than Moto is claiming a single patent at 2.25%. There are anecdotal reports of the Moto lead lawyer saying after this case is finished they will sue on the next one for 2.25% because the gun will have been reloaded.

Far from "quibbling" nowhere does that say that Motorola wants 2.25% of the device selling price for each patent they contribute to a pool. You apparently are reading that for what you want to see rather than what it says. The entire comment has to do with a single patent being capable of a kill. That's absolutely true. Also true is there's more than one patent in the pool.

Your source that supposedly "proves" Motorola wants 2.25% per patent doesn't even believe that himself. Florian Mueller/FOSSPatents actually thinks the 2.25% royalty "relates to Apple's sales and to all of MMI's standard-essential patents, though the context is only one patent (the one over which Motorola has already forced Apple, temporarily, to remove certain products from its German online store. Assuming in Motorola's favor that this was a license to all standard-essential wireless patents, the amount still appears excessive to me given how many companies hold patents on such standards and what royalty rate this would lead to in the aggregate."

You're going to have to look harder if you're trying to prove me wrong. My suggestion is don't bother because they've never stated that, nor has Google. Even finding an instance where the 2.25% applies to a set of two patents (the case you mentioned), doesn't mean that every two patents in every standard Motorola contributes to gets hit with another 2.25%. I have no doubt at all that you already figured that out.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Enough with labeling people as trolls every chance you get.

I class Galbi as a troll. And he's trying to have it both ways.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your blind hatred of most things Apple.

So am I. At least, a usable smartphone.

There are other mobile OS's out there besides Android.

Windows phone 7, Bada, Tizen and others.

How do you know that I'm not a secret supporter of them?

I defend Android in this board because that is what most of you people like to verbally attack.

Hatred is a strong word.

I'd say I offer constructive criticism.

What if I told you that I'm a shareholder of APPL?

Criticisms are what makes a company better.

Many people criticized Apple for not having a notification drop down menu on iOS.

Guess what?

Apple listened and was included.

Yes, I'm still THAT guy. I dont own ANY smartphone. My trusty Nokia 6500 is still kicking strong. True story.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

There are other mobile OS's out there besides Android. Windows phone 7, Bada, Tizen and others. How do you know that I'm not a secret supporter of them?

How would support of something else non-Android relate to hating Apple?

I support Windows Phone 7 and want it to get better. It's a great alternative. Does that mean I hate Apple?

Quote:

I defend Android in this board because that is what most of you people like to verbally attack.

Ah, "you people". I see.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    I dont "hate" Apple.

I dont take things personally enough to label it "hate".

I criticize Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

There are other mobile OS's out there besides Android.

Windows phone 7, Bada, Tizen and others.

How do you know that I'm not a secret supporter of them?

Hatred is a strong word.

I'd say I offer constructive criticism.

What if I told you that I'm a shareholder of APPL?

Criticisms are what makes a company better.

Many people criticized Apple for not having a notification drop down menu on iOS.

Guess what?

Apple listened and was included.

Yes, I'm still THAT guy. I dont own ANY smartphone. My trusty Nokia 6500 is still kicking strong. True story.

Nokia is still my favorite phone manufacture. I don't know what it is, maybe it's because they were the true inventor of the smart phone with their Communicator series. I owned every single model even when they had the 9500 and 9300 at the same time. I finally broke down and bought a iPhone 4 last year which was my first Apple phone, it was nice and I didn't have many complaints but It wasn't a Nokia. So when Nokia released their new 800 series I bought one giving the iPhone to my daughter, he he now she's in heaven so it all worked out.

Great phone the Nokia 800, however what I should have gotten was the N9. So when I found one on eBay for a great price, even a white one at that, I bought one and yesterday it arrived. Man I was idiot, I can't believe I waited this long. Best phone ever, period. The OS is fantastic, design is just WOW, 64 GB, if you guys find one on eBay for a good price you owe it to your self to pick one up. Guarantee you'll love it, if you don't send me a message and I'll buy it off of you. Oh man the N9 is an amazing phone, I can talk about it forever. Nokia, please don't stop making Meego phones.

Thank goodness Samsung has taken over by adding Meego to their Bada line. Can't wait to see what they have for us because that OS is so much better then, iOS, Android and WIndows Mobile 7.5.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How would support of something else non-Android relate to hating Apple?

I support Windows Phone 7 and want it to get better. It's a great alternative. Does that mean I hate Apple?

Ah, "you people". I see.

It's a really nice business mobile OS isn't it. I have a Nokia 800 as my personal phone. The office apps are the best and Skydrive, wow! The email program is actually better then the Gmail client for Android which I thought wasn't possible. I also really like how good Facebook is implemented on the phone, not only is the Facebook app the best out of every platform but I love the way my messages show up looking like a SMS, very clever.

I see WP7 or 8 becoming a real competitor to iOS in the near future.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Oh man I just realized I have serious gadget fetish problem. I can't help it though, we only have one car, I don't go shopping all the time for clothes and I guess we live pretty modestly compared to others. Both my husband and I also make really decent money. So I guess my only weakness is tech. I do sell the stuff I buy so there is some return. In fact I figured out how to have a new laptop every 6 months for the same price of owning one laptop for 4 years. It's called saving you boxes, always buy the extended warranty and keep very good care of your devices. I always sell my stuff for very little off the original price that I bought them at.