Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE

Comments

• Reply 41 of 188
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Right now on the iPhone 4S, Speech-to-Text requires an internet connection. This new A5X chip might be able to handle it without connecting to Apple servers.

S2T on the iPad is needed greatly.
  • Reply 42 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The lack of quad core doesn't surprise me. Apple needs to feed incremental updates every year. What would they push next year? I also imagine the screen resolution and LTE alone are going to put a good sized dent in battery life, adding quad core would just mean that much more. Apple is already way far and ahead in the tablet space, why push everything at once. Either way, my iPad 2 (wifi) will serve just fine for another year. The screen while gorgeous as it will be doesn't justify another $600-700 from me this year.

So you say now. Once you learn that Siri 1.0 will be able to beg and moan, you'll be over your old iPad like yesterday's news.

• Reply 43 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The screen uses more power than both. I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that the RAM uses power also.

...and people wonder why the MS tablet demo had to be kept plugged in for a 10 minute demo.
  • Reply 44 of 188
    No Retina Display? This particular rumor said nothing about that?
  • Reply 45 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah that seems to be true. If apps aren't designed for multi-threading over 4 cores. What would be the purpose of the cores?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think developers have any control over how many cores their apps use on iOS. That is a system controlled function.

• Reply 46 of 188
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't know... Where WiFi is available it would be fairly efficient to crossload from a Mac or PC or download from iCloud.

I thought that the iPad was supposed to be "Post PC"? Starting with iOS 5, Apple is clearly pushing the iPad as a PC-free device. More storage would go a long way towards handling a large number of apps and media content. Many complex games are already 300MB - 1GB (Infinity Blade), imagine the size of Retina screen iPad apps...

Hell, I've got 4.8GB of apps and 17GB of music alone on my 32GB iPhone 4S. I would expect the new iPad to have at least 32GB of memory to start.

For my own prediction, I see things going this way:

16GB iPad 2: $399

32GB iPad 3: $499

64GB iPad 3: $599

128GB iPad 3: $699
  • Reply 47 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. Let's be furious at Apple for releasing a product that?

OH RIGHT, it's not out yet and no one can actually know anything about it.

If folks aren't allowed to react to a rumour thread, why have them?
  • Reply 48 of 188
    Which speech to text are you talking about?

Siri is designed to be used over the internet connection, that has little to do with the SOC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Right now on the iPhone 4S, Speech-to-Text requires an internet connection. This new A5X chip might be able to handle it without connecting to Apple servers.

S2T on the iPad is needed greatly.

• Reply 49 of 188
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Agreed. Need more space for all those apps, music, and video

Yup. The 64 GB iPhone was a long wait. A 128 GB iPad should be doable given the 64 GB iPhone. Really really really hope they'll do it.

However, if they do have a 128 GB storage SKU, the lineup will probably be something like 16/64/128. It's all in the up-sell.
  • Reply 50 of 188
    I'd imagine that most people are not storing their entire favorite music collection locally to their phone so much at this point. There is less reason to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hell, I've got 4.8GB of apps and 17GB of music alone on my 32GB iPhone 4S. I would expect the new iPad to have at least 32GB of memory to start.

• Reply 51 of 188
    Also, these are TheVerge sources, which as far as I can tell aren't very good. I don't think they've really nailed anything, ever. They may have been right on the generic stuff, but they've never nailed anything specifically.

So as far as I'm concerned, everything they say here could be incorrect by tomorrow afternoon.
  • Reply 52 of 188
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

I'm expecting it to be an A5X chip because its only a bumped up ipad2 with better everything. Its real likely that it is going to be called ipad HD also. The real ipad3 is going to have a new design shell and A6 for sure and big OS upgrade to take advantage of those 4 cores

There is no "real" iPad 3. The iPad being released tomorrow will be the 3rd Generation iPad, regardless of the monicker. If you mean "iPad 4" as in a possible name for the 4th Generation iPad, likely released in March 2013...

Also, why does a new shell design indicate when an update is "real"? Are we that vain?

FYI, upgrades like gaining a RETINA DISPLAY are not "bumps". Was the iPhone 4 just a bump from the 3GS? I mean it only got a retina display and '"better everything". Oh wait, it got a new shell... I guess that's most important.

Major iOS updates are not tied to new releases. The iPad 2 shipped with iOS 4 and now runs iOS 5.
  • Reply 53 of 188
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Which speech to text are you talking about?

Siri is designed to be used over the internet connection, that has little to do with the SOC.

Asking questions of Siri requires internet as does Speech to Text, right now.

But just the Speech to Text portion can be handled natively with more processing. That would be great. iPads don't

always have a connection.
  • Reply 54 of 188
    Quote:

I'd imagine that most people are not storing their entire favorite music collection locally to their phone so much at this point. There is less reason to.

Why not? I have the space. I listen to my music mostly in my car or when traveling. I like being able to pull up any song in my library at a moment's notice.
  • Reply 55 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Also, these are TheVerge sources, which as far as I can tell aren't very good. I don't think they've really nailed anything, ever. They may have been right on the generic stuff, but they've never nailed anything specifically.

So as far as I'm concerned, everything they say here could be incorrect by tomorrow afternoon.

Yeah, they were dead wrong about the wedge-shaped unibody iPhone 5 last year.
  • Reply 56 of 188
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This is asinine. The real gaming platform that can immediately leverage this is the iPad 3 with a 2K screen.

Apple's had the 6th gen ImgTec GPGPU for nearly 1 year.

ST-Erickson announced support for the Rouge over 1 year ago.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=617

Could it be that the following is real -- but destined for the AppleTV 3?

I have no idea what is the optimal balance of RAM/CPU/GPU... but, doesn't more RAM provide an opportunity for improving performance by buffering -- even in gaming?

Then there is SIMD (which I believe you referenced in another thread

SIMD: Single instruction, multiple data

As I understand it for certain computations, it is more efficient to pass the data across an instruction instead of passing an instruction across the data.

I can see where this would be advantageous where processing lots of pixels -- darkening/sharpening/colorizing an image... or generating tween frames in a video or game. Seems to me, the more RAM -- the better the SIMD performance.

• Reply 57 of 188
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I don't care if it's dual-core or quad-core -- Apple knows what it's doing with regards to performance with such an increase in resolution. All I care is that it has at least 1GB of RAM and double the storage capacities at the same price points, i.e. 32GB/64GB/128GB.

Me too.
  • Reply 58 of 188
    Quote:

In the not so distant future though, given what Apple is doing with iCloud, people will have all of their music stored on their devices.
  • Reply 59 of 188
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

I thought that the iPad was supposed to be "Post PC"? Starting with iOS 5, Apple is clearly pushing the iPad as a PC-free device. More storage would go a long way towards handling a large number of apps and media content. Many complex games are already 300MB - 1GB (Infinity Blade), imagine the size of Retina screen iPad apps...

For my own prediction, I see things going this way:

16GB iPad 2: $399

32GB iPad 3: $499

64GB iPad 3: $599

128GB iPad 3: $699

iCloud is designed to reduce the need for local storage. I expect big things for iCloud in 2012 and 2013. Apple is just getting going.
  • Reply 60 of 188
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Strange silence about storage...If they release a 16gb model it will be a mockery with respect to what the iPad can and must hold in terms of apps and content. 16gb in this day and age, with retina and all the apps and uses for the iPad will be just plain taking advantage of those who can't afford the more expensive models...what a shame to own such a great device and not be able to use it for shit due to the crippled storage.

Bullshit. I owned a 16GB iPad2 and never did I feel squeezed for space. Everyone's usage varies. You're someone who posts on an apple fan-site message-board, so obviously you're not a typical user. Believe it or not, most people who buy an iPad will probably still be satisfied with 16GB considering what they use it for. Try not to be so short-sighted as to impose your own requirements on everyone else then claim it's 'crippled' and can't be used 'for shit'. You don't represent everyone, and your particular usage is irrelevant.

They probably will still start at 16GB.

Oh wait, you're that matte screen fanatic that has a permanent, irrational hateful grudge against Apple cause you don't get your way. Why did I even respond.